+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Power Steering Failure

I have a 2006 FEH. Bought it in March 2006. Currently have 52,000 miles on it. At 1000 miles "Service power steering" message came on. Took it to dealer, found nothing wrong. At 51,000 same thing happened. Took it to dealer, replaced module. Drove it for a while. Happened again. Back to dealer, replaced wiring harness. After 250 miles of driving, happened again. Car back with dealer for further diagnosis. Anybody else have similar experience?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sjm View Post
    I have a 2006 FEH. Bought it in March 2006. Currently have 52,000 miles on it. At 1000 miles "Service power steering" message came on. Took it to dealer, found nothing wrong. At 51,000 same thing happened. Took it to dealer, replaced module. Drove it for a while. Happened again. Back to dealer, replaced wiring harness. After 250 miles of driving, happened again. Car back with dealer for further diagnosis. Anybody else have similar experience?
    This is the first time I've heard of this problem, but there are two power steering control modules. Is it possible they changed the wrong one? The Battery Junction Box located on top to the drivers side under the hood is easy to get to and remove the lid. The modules just plug in and there located in #F25 and #F32 slots. There both the first ones in the first and second rows on the right side of the box. They look the same BTW. There is also a Run/Start relay 20A mini fuse in #15 slot. In the SJB (fuses on the passenger side center console) fuse #20 (15A) is something to check also.

The power steering control module can flag a warning to the PCM for loose steering components and binding. In addition, the modules monitor vehicle speed to control the right amount of power assisted steering needed. If you have changed tires, the size could create a conflict with speed sensors and flag a warning. Low tire pressure could have the same effect.

The problem could come from many things, but it sounds like the dealership tech isn't on top of the power steering unit in the FEH. If the code is clearing before he hooks his diagnostic tool, he may never find the problem. The tire issue could cause a problem like this because the speed range may be a problem at a certain speed causing the warning.

Good Luck,

GaryG

Thanks. A clarification to my original post. The power steering is not working. It is not just a display of a service code. I will pass on this info to the dealer. I'll see what they come up with at the dealership.

Thanks,
    sjm

Quote Originally Posted by sjm View Post
    Thanks. A clarification to my original post. The power steering is not working. It is not just a display of a service code. I will pass on this info to the dealer. I'll see what they come up with at the dealership.

Thanks,
    sjm
    The power steering not working should give the tech a DTC code and narrow down the problem. At what point did the power steering stop working? Was it when the tech thought he needed to replaced the wiring harness?

GaryG

One other thing that must be considered is the failure of the Electronic Coolant Pump. This has been reported around the ~50,000 mile range in the FEH. The Electric Power Steering motor requires 100% power all the time from the DC/DC converter which is cool by that pump. Overheating could be a power steering failure as a result of this known problem.

GaryG

Power Steering Failure- Me

Power Steering Failure- Me too!
    My 2008 FEH 4WD had a similar issue: I stopped at signal then slowly accelerated to turn left. When I was mid-way through the intersection, the steering wheel went from normal responsive power steering to heavy manual-feeling, like power steering had failed. I compensated for lack of power steering and completed turn safely, and then within seconds, power steering resumed as normal- no warning lights or engine symbols were lighted. 24 hours later, traveling at approximately 60mph, started into a left-hand curve; power steering failed again. Managed to compensate, and complete curve without incident but was rather difficult. I took it to dealer and they have been "unable to duplicate the problem" and so I have been told to pick up the vehicle and drive it until it happens again, if I survive it! I no longer feel safe driving the vehicle and can get nowhere with Ford. I drive a mountainous, tortuous track of highway twice daily and this failure has me freaked out!

I never experienced such an

I never experienced such an thing with my car.My car has been running smoothly until now.And further only a professional in the field can tell about this problem.

The same thing is

The same thing is happenening to me! Ford claims that they have never seen this happen before. I don't feel safe driving this now. The dealer has the car now and I am waiting to see what they come back with. The first time (less than 1 week ago) they relpaced something with the steering. Like you, no warning codes, lights, etc. FORD has to find out what is causing this and fix it before they have a class action suit, or worse, someone is killed!

Steering racks fail

Steering racks fail gradually, but when they do you must take action before total failure occurs. Otherwise, control of your car becomes impossible and failure could then happen at any time, as in those times you are on the interstate. A real threat to your safety and to the safety of other drivers. To find out if it is the steering rack causing the problem, check the power steering fluid closely to see if you notice small metallic pieces of metal floating around in it. If you do, then your steering rack is wearing out and the metallic pieces are the evidence that the rack is coming apart piece by piece.
    ------------------------------------------------
    christina

Sunshine Coast

This identical thing

This identical thing happened to my 2006. Module failed then 2000 miles later harness failed. My car is currently at the dealer and has been for a week. They are telling me that there are no wiring harnesses available in the US at the moment and there won't be any manufactured for at least two more weeks. New technology, same old Ford.