+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ford has to purchase the

Ford has to purchase the hybrid components from an outside contractor and they plan in advance how many units will be sold. It is difficult for them to adjust "on the fly" due to this need to purchase their hybrid compoents elsewhere. There is only one plant that produces the Escape-Escape Hybrid-Mariner-Mariner Hybrid and they rolled out somewhere around 160,000 units last year (2007). The Hybrid vehicles are "scheduled" into the assembly line for production. Not enough units are sold to justify another plant facility.

If Ford is going to start making money on hybrid vehicle production in 2008, then do they increase unit numbers in comparison to 2005-2008? Or do they keep the Escape Hybrid at 20,000 units a year and double production of hybrids with the introduction of 2009 Fusion hybrid later in 2008?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

In September, 2007, we too

In September, 2007, we too wanted to purchase a FEH in Central Florida. I located only two on dealer lots, neither of which was in the color or with the features we wanted. A dealer at Hwy 27 and I-4, Jarrett Gordon Ford, had one of the two we found. They offered to special order what we wanted. A Kiwi Green, with limited options to keep the price down. They sold it to us at dealer cost plus $450.00. We took delivery in Mid December and love the vehicle. We did not have a trade in, but as many of you know, in October, Ford had a price increase of about $1,000 on the FEH. The dealer stuck to our agreed upon price and made no attempt to get us to pay more. End result, we got it for lessa than dealer cost since they had to pay a higher cost. Our salesman did tell us when we took delivery that they can no longer take special orders unless it is for MSRP.

Hi B Here is one article

Hi B

Here is one article quoting Nancy Giola on Ford turning a profit on the FEH/MMH:

January 16, 2008
    Ford Expects Hybrids To Start Turning Profit

Manufacturing costs for hybrids are dropping.

By the end of this year, Ford Motor Co.'s hybrid vehicle program is expected to be profitable for the first time.

Nancy Gioia, Ford's director of sustainable mobility technologies and hybrid vehicle programs, said that since production started in 2004, Ford has chopped about 30 percent of the cost out of making the Escape, Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute hybrid SUVs.

Yes, hybrids have been loss leaders. That they are becoming profitable is good news. The longer we go before world oil production starts declining the easier it'll be to handle it. Advances in hybrid and battery technologies as well as in wind turbines, photovoltaics, and nuclear technologies will all make the migration away from fossil fuels easier.

GaryG

I got it! Just as my

I got it! Just as my "insider" told me--April is when 2009 FEH order will be accepted and Summer of 2008 they will arrive at the dealer lots. This is the latest news I have:

FEH and MMH
    2009 Initial Order Acceptance: 04/17/08
    2009 Production Scheduling Begins: 05/15/08
    2009 Production Start Up: 06/23/08

However, these dates could change depending upon a variety of factors.

Hope this helps.

Hi Billy Great find! Thank

Hi Billy

Great find! Thank you! Is there a link or was this information from an inside poster? Today I'll past on the information to my Broker at my Credit Union to try and locate information on options. I want to order all the bells so I need to study the list carefully.

When I ordered my '05, the Fleet Manager told me I could only get the Appearance Package in the gray color. I guess he saw a picture of a gray one with the matching gray bottom and thought it was all you could get. I didn't want the flat black bottom that was standard, so I ask for all the order information. I caught the Fleet Manager's mistake and ordered my FEH in Titanium Green with the appearance package.

John Dixson ordered his '08 MMH thinking he was getting the 110V outlet. When he got his vehicle, that option was missed! To late for changes then. I use my 110V outlet all the time and will make sure I check all the confirmation order paperwork. I also want the new Nav sys and a way to plug-in my HD radio receiver into the speaker system. I got the Visteon HD Jump system that can go in a vehicle as well as in my home 7.1 theater system. The radio sounds like a CD playing and many radio stations in my area have switched to HD radio broadcasting. Also, lets not forget the Block Heater option from the factory. A smaller price to pay and cleaner installation when ordered, and I can always use an increase in MPG during warm-up at todays gas prices.

As soon as I get the order information and cost of options, I'll post them here. Again, if anyone gets this information first, please post it like Billy does.

GaryG

After stopping by my

After stopping by my broker's office today who still has not heard anything on an ordering date, I checked the internets (As G W Bush would put it) and found this bit of information on Government ordering. The dates are subject to change, but this was for the '09 Escape and no mention of the Hybrid models.
    http://www.bblfleet.com/ford_buildout.pdf

The dates are almost the same as Billy posted.

GaryG

There has been an update

There has been an update today! Go to:http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_trucks_ford.html

it shows Escape hybrid ordering 4-17-08
    mid-September for production scheduling October for production start.

I assume this later start is due to the new Ford Fusion Hybrid that uses the same hybrid components. Ford is likely ordering components for both vehicles at the same time. The Fusion is made in Mexico. However, Fusion hybrids were seen ouside the Kansas City Plant in Jan 2007--prior to the start up of the 2008 Escape model year.

Billy, this delay puts Ford

Billy, this delay puts Ford behind the eight ball because by the time the '09's arrive, many people would have canceled their order. Six months from 4/17/08 to turn out the first FEH/MMH will drive people hoping to get a tax break for '08 to another manufacture. In addition, holding on to a gas hog for those 6 months plus will be cost prohibitive when people are ready to buy now. Six months also leaves Ford time to increase the price a number of times like I experienced a $500 increase after only one month after I ordered.

BTW, your BillyK sig for this site shows "not verified" and I think all the links you post will not work. Here is the link you posted so other's can click on it: http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_trucks_ford.html
    I'd try to get verified for future post BillyK.

Most people buying a Hybrid have come to many of these kinds of sites for research and want to have a heads up before going to the dealers to purchase. I wouldn't want to be a Ford salesman trying to make a living this year. My Broker told me he's doing great with sales because he offers any and all manufactures at near invoice or below. Dealer salesman are being killed right now and it looks like Ford just threw their salesman and dealerships into the fire. The Ford dealership I've been dealing with for over forty years started Toyota and other dealerships and sold their Bev Smith Ford dealership a few weeks ago.

It sounds to me like Ford is going to move the Escape KC plant to Mexico this year and is the reason for the delay. This would also explain why Ford cut off orders for the '08 so soon. Who knows what the reason is, but it's going kill FEH/MMH sales for '09. I'm still going to place my order ASAP, but a lot can change in 6 months from now. The value of our FEH/MMH should hold longer because of this delay, so that's good for most of us here.

GaryG

I was quite perplexed right

I was quite perplexed right up until GaryG's comment.

I was heading for the fence on buying an 09 ford escape hybrid. I was conviced this was the vechile. I only had one reservation, my issue, I live in connecticut and I have a driveway that goes up to the road.

With noway to turn around, in the winter, I need 4 wheel drive to get to the road in reverse.

My question to you AWD escape hybrid onwers, was going to be, do all 4 wheels spin when in reverse. I've done some looking on the net and only found a comment that the traction motor alone powers the vehicle in reverse. It does not mention if both electric motors operate. Thats kind of imporant to me.

But that was roughly 5 minutes ago and now, the 09's will be built in Mexico. Damn, Its hard to say what will happen to the quality. But I'm not going to risk my $33,000 on it, guess I'll go with a Santa Fe.

Signing off.....

Paul, I don't know why Ford

Paul, I don't know why Ford has delayed the '09 FEH, but I'm pissed also. I checked the news from Ford and the KC local news, and it looks like Ford spent 200 mil improving the KC plant recently. This may mean no transfer to Mexico may be in the cards.

As far as reverse, the engine will charge the generator for power to the traction motor for AWD in reverse. By all means, go with the Santa Fe if you think it's not worth the wait, I think Ford has messed-up big time myself with this delay. Good luck with your choice!

GaryG