+ Reply to Thread

Will bargain gas harm HCH 2008?

Wondering if filling HCH with "bargain gas" might take a toll on engine in a long run! Does anyone have a word of wisdom? National brands are always higher in price.

Also, dying to know how far HCH 2008 will go right after all the illuminated squares disappears from the fuel gauge?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

<Wondering if filling HCH with "bargain gas" might take a toll on engine in a long run! Does anyone have a word of wisdom? National brands are always higher in price.>

Page 150 of the owners manual makes a number of recommendations. In Canada, I've never heard of "bargain" gas. I think it all comes from the same suppliers, and the main difference is the various octane levels. Might be different in the States.

Somewhere in that book(s) there's a recommendation to use "Top Tier" Detergent Gas (Regular Unleaded). Can't find the location of that mention at the moment. I've read other places that Top Tier is a bit of a snow job.

All the regular Hondas are fine with regular octane, anything higher is a waste of money. My personal experience in the past has made me avoid alchohol blends; things might have changed, but I prefer to just avoid them.

<Also, dying to know how far HCH 2008 will go right after all the illuminated squares disappears from the fuel gauge?>

I know if if fill it when the last bar disappears (which is usually around the time the warning light goes on) it takes around 37 litres, and there's 47 litre capacity in the tank, if that helps. I don't think it's a good idea to run it close to empty, for various reasons. First off, it's not a lot of fun walking down freeways. And stuff like rust flakes, sand, etc tends to linger at the bottom of the gas tank. Also, when you're really near empty, just something like going up a steep hill, tilting the tank and fuel inlet, can make the difference between sucking gas and sucking air. Big risk, no benefit.

Sjuju;

I would not characterize bargain-gas as potential harmful to any car without considering additional factors. However, it is far more common for this type of gas to have more ethanol than other top tier brands. As you may or may not know, ethanol is becoming very prevalent and it can account for measurable mileage drops for some folks. Needless to say, these mileage drops are pretty noticeable in efficient cars like the Civic Hybrid.

As I said, I would not entirely dismiss a bargain-gas outlet as bad though. If it happens to be an outlet with a high volume of service then it may be OK and relatively safe to fill up your car there. Just don't be tempted to get their highest octane gas - it is not worth it.

The Shell brand is often identified by individuals and independent industry tests as the better gas. Personally, I use nothing but Shell and so do many other folks who hypermile their hybrids... in other words, I see every penny spent on Shell gas as well worth it.

Cheers;

MSantos

Msantos, When filling up at

Msantos,
    When filling up at Shell, what type of gas do you use? Their Bronze gas has up to 10% ethanol and the stations I've gone to don't have Silver, which is supposed to have only 5%. The only other choice is their high octane V-power (no ethanol), but much more expensive.
    Thanks.

Hi Peggy; Most of us use the

Hi Peggy;

Most of us use the lowest grade possible, typically 87 octane. At first, it is quite hard to determine which brands offer aggressive ethanol blending... but the general rule is to pick the gas with the lowest octane possible. This is because when ethanol is blended in petrol, the oxigenation is raised along with the octane rating.

Also, filling with the premium "gold" grade is usually a waste of money on our cars.

Cheers;

MSantos

I haven't measured anything

I haven't measured anything with my new (used) HCH yet, but with my old car, an 85 Volvo stationwagon, I noticed a HUGE difference in mileage based on different types of gas...and it varied not by brand but by station. For example, one Shell station was great, but another one would have bad gas.

I started remembering where I had tanked up last, and making a note of the mileage I was getting, and pretty quickly figured out the good stations. I think most stations are good but an occasional one would be bad and I'd avoid it like the plague. I haven't noticed any difference in brands...like I said, I've had bad gas from a Shell, and from a BP station, as well as some "off" brands. I avoid Exxon/Mobil because of their stance on global warming and their nasty politics, but besides that the other ones, I'd say it's more a factor of the station than of the gas itself.