+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 FEH gas mileage FWD vs AWD

Hello to all,

I'm considering purchasing an 08 FEH. A few questions I'm pondering:

1. I was wondering if by getting the AWD FEH, would there be a significant loss in gas mileage?
    2. Why are EPA estimates always lower for an AWD vs FWD? Isn't there an option with AWD vehicles to be used in FWD mode only? If so, then theoretically this vehicle in FWD mode should be getting the same fuel economy as its FWD counterpart, right?
    3. Does the AWD FEH have higher ground clearance than the FWD version like how trucks do?

Please help me with this. I'm excited to become a hybrid owner and my new job has me driving to contruction sites every now and then. It would be great to have the best of both worlds (SUV with FE!). I want to make sure that purchasing an AWD FEH would be the best decision for me.

-JT

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The lost in mileage in the AWD is about the difference in the EPA estimates between the FWD. Even though the wheels are not engaged all the time, there is more powertrain drag in the AWD. This extra drag is enough to effect max speed and faster acceleration in EV than the FWD.

At the Hybrifest MPG Challenge last July, the AWD won second place between two FWD drivers using the same Vehicle. The '05 AWD got ~46.5mpg on the 26 mile city and country course. I got 61.8mpg for first place driving Debbie Katz FWD '05 FEH.

Debbie Katz has the best recorded lifetime average of 39.8mpg in her FWD. I'm not sure of best AWD lifetime average, but I wouldn't think it's much more than 34mpg. The new '08 drivers have access now to the techniques we've all learned over years of posting, so I expect these numbers to climb.

The biggest factors in MPG are the drivers and conditions like cold or hot weather and short commutes. Unless you must have a AWD, I recommend the FWD. They both have about the same ground clearance if that's any help.

GaryG

thanks, gary! i checked out that hybridfest website. very awesome stuff. i'm currently checking out other forums, websites, etc for information on hypermiling techniques. any recommendations on any particular site for these gas saving techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by jtgonegreen View Post
    thanks, gary! i checked out that hybridfest website. very awesome stuff. i'm currently checking out other forums, websites, etc for information on hypermiling techniques. any recommendations on any particular site for these gas saving techniques?
    The best hypermiler site is run by one of the best hypermilers and a friend of mine name Wayne Gerdes. A number of the best have posted articles that can be read from the home page including mine "Hypermiling The Ford Escape Hybrid" at: http://www.cleanmpg.com/ It's one of the fastest growing sites and includes information from members on all vehicles.

GaryG

A check of the EPA ratings shows that 4WD extracts a mileage penalty with the 4cyl, 6cyl and hybrid Escapes. The hybrid seems to be affected more than the standard models but, then, weather and driving habits seem to have a greater impact on mileage with hybrids, also.

We live in Wisconsin and have owned several Escapes, both 4WD and FWD. with our new hybrid we went with 4WD and with all the snow we've had so far this winter, we're glad we did. If you live in a warmer climate you may not need 4WD. The 4WD system is automatic and you are actually in FWD most of the time.

Two other points to consider: the 4WD version will cost more and your federal tax credit will be less ($2200 vs. $3000).

I have a 2005 AWD Escape.

I have a 2005 AWD Escape. My parent live in Vilas County Wisconsin, but I live elsewhere. Yesterday the temperatures were in the mid to upper 20s and I drove around 300 miles to go nordic skiing. This included a mix of interstate, two lane highways, city and rural travel. There was lite snow flurries. I averaged mid- 30's mpg during the trip. NO ethanol fuel. The trip also included traveling in the far western reaches of the Mountains where gains of 1200 to 1500 feet were encountered.

Posters elsewhere report the AWD version induces a 3 mpg penality. I have experienced an almost immediate MPG hit when it suddenly heavily starts to rain.

I'm planning on ordering an

I'm planning on ordering an '09 as soon as they're available, but I'm undecided on going with FWD or AWD. I can't decide if taking the mileage hit is worth having less traction in heavy snow. I live in the snowbelt on the east side of Cleveland and we get hit pretty hard at times (2 feet one day in mid-March). I'm planning on getting a good set of snow tires either way, but was wondering if anybody has any experience in heavy snow in a FWD with good winter tires. DD

We've owned both FWD and 4WD

We've owned both FWD and 4WD Escapes, including our current 2008 FEH 4WD. The 4WD system will not only get your through deeper snow but also makes the vehicle more stable in deep snow or slippery conditions.

Living in Cleveland, I think you better get the 4WD version. You may give away a bit of gas mileage, but you can get some of that back by adopting some hypermiling techniques.

Your question on whether to

Your question on whether to obtain AWD for the FEH has been asked by others. You need to ask yourself, how often do you go into the snowy conditions? When it snows, do you wait until the snowplows take care of the snow? Do you ski and on an weekly basis travel to snowy conditions? How far do you travel in snow conditions? Does your job require travel almost always regards of conditions? Since I live 100+ miles away, I may add, the winter conditons can be inconsistent in this area. Snow is often followed by warming temperatures and sometimes rain!

As for winter tires, I went with all-season tires that carried the snowflake and mountain symbol (meets the severe winter requirements) because they would provide better fuel efficiency and handling than pure winter tires. I narrowed by choices down to Goodyear Triple Treads or Nokian WR.

I've read comments about

I've read comments about FEH's icy/snowy stability and they haven't been favorable. Can you elaborate on yours? I'm thinking of moving to Reno, and although it's not near as bad as Wisconsin, it does get it's share of snow and ice.
    Thanks,