+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Premature Warning lights for low fuel levels

Hello everyone. I need your help. I own a new Altima Hybrid and have found that the fuel warning light is activated when I have travelled approximately 450 to 500 miles. I am averaging approx. 32 m iles per gallon and with a tank capacity of approximately 20 gallons, my range should be approximately 640+ miles. To date I have not been able to put more than 19 gallons in then tank because my entire dashboard warning lights light up if i exceed 550 miles of driving on one tank of gas. Questions:
    1. Does anyone else experience the warning lights for low fuel with at least 100 miles before empty (assuming you could use all 20 gallons of the tank)?
    2. What is the stated fuel reserve for the Altima Hyb. before the warning light is activated?
    3. Has anyone addressed this issue with a Nissan dealer?

I have had my car serviced by a Nissan dealer and they had no idea how to address my questions.

Thank in advance for any information.

geelong59

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

It's a common complaint - it's not "broken", it's how they all are. It certainly bugs the heck out of me. I haven't seen a solution anywhere.

Sorry.

-Gren

Quote Originally Posted by geelong59 View Post
    Questions:
    1. Does anyone else experience the warning lights for low fuel with at least 100 miles before empty (assuming you could use all 20 gallons of the tank)?
    2. What is the stated fuel reserve for the Altima Hyb. before the warning light is activated?
    3. Has anyone addressed this issue with a Nissan dealer?

I have had my car serviced by a Nissan dealer and they had no idea how to address my questions.

Thank in advance for any information.

geelong59
    1. yes, we all get the warning lights. they don't want you to run out of gas i guess
    2. not stated, but my dealer said 3.8 gallons (take that with a grain of salt, you know how accurate a dealer can be)
    3. no, it's not broken, just annoying when you are trying to drive 700 miles on 1 tank, (i've done that 1 time, went up to 712 miles before I filled up <19 gallons)

As the others have already said - it is a common problem. I get between 35 - 36 mpg. The light comes on with 4 or less gallons remaining in the tank and then I generally go another 100 miles before I fillup.
    Going in for service to replace the brake switch as the squeaking is annoying. I have 8500 miles and still like the car.
    dierk

Nissan Service warned me

Nissan Service warned me about running out of gas. They said if you drive any hybrids until the car runs completely out of gas, you can mess up your hybrid battery. This costs about $7000 and is not covered under warranty. I guess this is why the Low Fuel indicator comes on so early.

close. You are correct,

close. You are correct, there is a 4 gallon reserve when the light comes on because if you drain the battery it is $3400 to replace.
    You can actually squeeze almost 21 gallons into the car.

I have a 2007 altima and

I have a 2007 altima and avergae about 32-33mpg. The tank has been off since day one and the dealership seems clueless as to how to adjust it so it reads correctly. I have run it out of gas one time and coasted it into the burgerking parking lot - even after this I was only able to squeeze 19 gallons into the tank. I have even thought that they put a smaller tank in the car than they advertise as I have never come close to 20 gallons even when i ran it empty!!!! no apparent damage to the battery pack. Love the car - just wish the power shifts weresmoother. my power drops to zero like its shifting from 2nd gear to 5th gear even though there are no gears. hard to explain but feels like a total loss of power whehn your driving it.

well the "shifting from 2nd

well the "shifting from 2nd to 5th" is really more to do with the CVT, since the car figures you stopped accelerating, it will drop to the lowest gear possible to conserve fuel.

the max I've ever filled was 19.5 gallons and I hadn't run out of gas yet. do you ever have problems with the gas needle reaching the top or the bottom? it should be about 1 needle width above the high and low tick marks

I JUST bought my 09 NAH

I JUST bought my 09 NAH today, i to noticed the that power shift is not smooth and feels like a total lose of power-which makes me very nervous. Thinking of taking it into a dealership to make sure everything is ok. Has any one else had a similar problem, and is this common in all hybrids?

not sure what you mean, can

not sure what you mean, can you describe what you're doing?