+ Reply to Thread

IMA & malfunction light on after jumpstart

Anybody else have this happen?

For some reason, over the last 2 days I've left the headlights on 3 times! The first time the neighbor told me, second time, the car wouldn't start, but then 2 minutes later it started no problem! Today the battery was completely dead, and I got someone to jumpstart it.

Now the IMA and Malfunction light are both on all the time. Last time this happened (almost a year ago), my IMA had gone bad. I'm taking it to the dealer early next week. At least it's still under warranty, but only for 10K more miles. :-(
    But I would be shocked if my new (hybrid) battery had already bit the dust. Admittedly I've put almost 20K on since then, but still!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I doubt the IMA system is adversely affected at all - besides, your recently upgraded battery pack has several improvements (and is longer lasting) than the original you got with the car. It is more likely that the PCM & ECU has scrambled information due to a "crash" induced by out-of-spec power levels. This happens quite often when the 12V subsystem experiences a failure.

How to solve this? I would suggest you consider replacing the 12V battery. Once you get the battery installed, go for a leisurely 10 minute drive and all should be back to normal.

Cheers;

MSantos

Sounds like a good idea. I was planning on getting a new starter battery tomorrow-- I figured I probably hosed it. I'll post if that does the trick...

Is the headlight-on warning chime working?

We had a near-dead battery about a year back, all it took was a cabin reading light being left on overnight. Was able to recover full charge with a charger,:something to consider.

Leave it hooked up for 6-8 hours before attempting to drive it. Then leave it hooked up overnight a few times, keeping an eye on the charge indicator. Be sure to get the kind that adjust charge rate as the battery regains charge, though, I think they mostly are now.

In our case it was 2-3 days before the indicator went back to blue ring and red dot, but it did, and has stayed charge since, knock on wood.

I was wondering if there used to be a sound to warn me that I was leaving the headlights on, but couldn't remember. I know there hasn't been the last few days. I've never left the headlights on like this before.

So some other stuff is screwed up in the car. THe radio is totally dead -- it won't let me enter the code to make it work again. The cabin light doesn't work properly (it flashes when you open the door then goes off). The key fob doesn't work anymore either. It's like it's in some sort of conserve-battery mode or something.

I'm hoping a new (starter) battery can fix my woes. I am finding all of this disturbing.

rkr:

When was the last time you had your car's system checked by a dealer?
    Do you do the regular maintenance (oil changes, etc) yourself?

It looks like your vehicle may have an electric related issue and may need some qualified TLC.
    Again, the solution to problems of this type often does not amount to much (relay, connectors, etc) but it is critical that it not be neglected as downstream consequences are always more expensive than any upfront diligence you can afford.

Cheers;

MSantos

I get all the services done at the dealer on the severe maintenance schedule. I did have the oil changed for the first time at Jiffy Lube instead of the dealer for my last oil change.

I don't do anything myself except add windshield wiper fluid and really easy stuff like that. I did just learn to check the fuses, to see if the radio fuse was blown (it wasn't).

Anyway, I'll have to see what the dealer says on Monday.

whew!

So took my car into the dealer and it was a blown fuse or two. All the little sounds, lights, etc work again. And the check engine/IMA lights probably were from the battery being jump-started, and they said all was well.

Yes, the solution to these problems often does not amount to much, does it?
    Nevertheless, it is awesome to know they've given your car a clean bill of health as well.

Thanks for letting us all know how it went.

Cheers;

MSantos