+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

OK, that is great. 51 psi

OK, that is great. 51 psi is significantly higher than the regular OEM tires max pressure which is set at 44psi.

With this new information, I recommend that you press your tires up to at least 45-47 psi, and don't let any service person mess with it. That should give you a sizable improvement in FE. Sporting 32 psi as some do in such tires is too low a pressure for safety, handling and FE reasons. Once you do try it out do let us know if the car glides better or not.

Cheers;

MSantos

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hello again MSantos, I

Hello again MSantos,

I appreciate your time and have a quick question for you.

In order to get the best mileage off my HCH 2007, would you recommend the 87 with Ethanol or the 93 Premium gas? I presume that the 93 Premium does not contain Ethanol. Or, am I wrong? A friend of mine tells me that Ethanol seems to bring down the gas mileage.

Thanks,
    Shur

Gave my 2002 Corolla to my

Gave my 2002 Corolla to my son. It got 42 on the HWY at 36 PSI.
    My Civics do 49-54 going to work and 42-46 on the HWY at 42PSI. I think I could have squeezed another 2 MPG out of the Corolla at 42 PSI and 0w30 synthetic.
    The Civic and the Corolla are the best ones on the road at this time. great cars.

In regards to Ethanol in

In regards to Ethanol in fuel. Virtually all, if not all, fuel in the USA contains 10% ethanol. However, the panic from many people regarding the drop in fuel mileage is silly. Ethanol contains approximately 85% of the energy of gasoline. Therefore, if you have 10% ethanol, you have 90% gasoline. This means that our "normal" fuel has 98.5% of the energy of pure gasoline. The problem is that most places have different formulations for different times of year with other additives. The summer fuels tend to be less efficent than winter fuels. 93 octane generally doesn't do much for modern cars designed to run on 87 octane. There was an article a few years back in one of the car magazines that proved this. When a vehicle showed an improvement, it generally wasn't a cost-effective improvement.

SAbel

Hey MSantos: I pumped up the

Hey MSantos:

I pumped up the tires and watched the tach (as suggested SOMEWHERE in the posts) and was doing 45 mpg until today. It dropped to 42.5 on a drive that NORMALLY is "gas-saving". However, I also noted that the battery indicator was showing fully discharged. I am bit concerned by that since it has never happened before, even driving up the Siskiyous Summit on I-5 in southern Oregon.

Should I be concerned? or was it just that I did more short errands than usual prior to resuming my highway driving?

SAbel

I did most of the things

I did most of the things listed on this site to pump up the mileage. I drove out of town this weekend and with 40 psi in the tires, HCH II gave me 48.5 mpg. I filled 10 gallons before the drive and my mileage counter is now reading 475 miles and it still has some gas to drive for another 15-20 miles before it hits empty.

My car currently has 1200 miles on it (total). I am impressed with the mileage so far. My first gas tank on this car was a mere 33 mpg at 32 psi. I am shocked to see the mileage go up to 48.5 mpg.

The following are the lessons learned from my long distance drive:

1. HCH II tends to give the best fuel efficiency on highways (long distance) and at constant speed.

2. City conditions with lots of lights or stop and go situation is worst for fuel efficiency. HCH II mileage drops with more stops and starts in city conditions. I still manage to get 40 to 42 mpg driving within the city ( 60% surface streets, 40% on the freeways). I am very careful with my acceleration and i use cruise control in the city to pump up mileage. Cruise control works.

3. I live in AZ and the speed limit on the highways is set at 75 miles per hour. It is way too fast for HCH II for fuel economy. People here drive at 80 to 85 miles per hour on the highways. My entire trip was between 60 and 65 miles per hour. I am 33 years old and I am getting trained for retirement with slow driving on my Hybrid (smile). It makes a big difference in mileage.

4. I also own a Toyota corolla. I would like to see what that car does if i apply all my recently learned hybrid tricks to it. I am sure I can get between 40 mpg - 42 mpg on the highway as somebody else has mentioned in the forum.

5. Finally : This car can give better mileage. The bottom line is how adaptable you are in changing your driving habits and drive this car sensibly and that makes all the difference.

VJ

Hi VJ: You just touched the

Hi VJ:

You just touched the very tip of the iceberg. As you get to know the car better you'll find many secrets that it holds and then maybe you'll be ready to use some of its very unique features to get it to even higher mileage figures.

I am not kidding when I say 70+ MPG is attainable at highway speeds (55-65 MPH) on a properly setup HCH-2 and an "experienced" owner.

Cheers;

MSantos

HCH II dealer told me that I

HCH II dealer told me that I can sink my cellphone via blue tooth to the car audio speakers so that I can get calls on the car speakers if somebody calls me when I am driving. I searched the manual but did not find it. Does anybody know how to do that?

Thanks

VJ

Unless I am totally out of

Unless I am totally out of my mind on this one, that statement is incorrect.

The North American HCH does not come with Bluetooth integration whatsoever, and you would need a third party kit/device (like Parrot) to achieve something like that. Sorry.

MSantos

Hi, I cannot even imagine

Hi,

I cannot even imagine 60+ mpg. I am earning about 39 mpg around town and 42-44 on our short freeway hops. I think if traffic was not so heavy, or so much stop and go between stop lights, my mileage would improve substantially!

Cheers,
    Steve in So Cal