+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Why does my 07 Honda hybrid

Why does my 07 Honda hybrid feel likes it surges when it is braking? As I slow down at around 15 MPH(it does vary a little) it feels like something lets go and then I have to hit the breaks even harder or I will gain speed. It is very strange and feels a little dangerous. My mileage is hovering around 34 city and 38 Hwy. Not what I expected, but my autostart doesn't help. I live in Duluth, MN and it is very cold.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

RE Ethanol Most gas stations

RE Ethanol

Most gas stations around here are selling gas that contains up to 10% Ethnol. What are the issues with ethanol and hybrids?

thanks

ccd: For a winter baseline,

ccd:

For a winter baseline, your mileage is not too bad at all. It can be much better though... but that depends on how well you understand your hybrid and how willing are you able to use its built-in features. Most people who buy a hybrid believe the car should do it all regardless of driver, but that simply is not so, never was, and never will be.

As a side note, many of us live much farther north than you and we get the same if not better mileage in the winter (-30 to -40 weather).

The "lurching you are talking about is common to all hybrids on the road today and it is a function of how the system works and how well you modulate you brake pedal pressure. For the uninitiated, this can be very unsettling but once you understand why it is so, you'll simply make it go away with a bit of practice.

I'll tell you what, drop by www.cleanMPG.com and introduce yourself. You'll see I am not kidding.

heronkay:

No big issues to be overly concerned about for most hybrid owners. However, the presence of ethanol in the gasoline simply means that there's measurably less energy available per tank of gas and hybrids in particular will show larger losses in mileage than other cars.
    Other than the loss in fuel economy there's little else to be worried about.

Cheers;

MSantos

I'VE FILLED MY 2008 HCH UP

I'VE FILLED MY 2008 HCH UP ONCE AND I MANUALLY CALCULATED THE MILEAGE AT 43.5 MPG CITY AND HIGHWAY COMBINED. THE DASH READER STATED 35-36 SO IT WAS PRETTY FAR OFF! I WILL BE FILLING UP AGAIN IN THE NEXT DALY OR TWO AND ACCORDING TO MY MILEAGE I EXPECT THE MATH TO COMPUTE ABOUT THE SAME, IM MY SHORT EXPERIENCE WITH THIS CAR, THE READER IS UNDERESTIMATING THE MPG ALWAYS CALCULATE MANUALLY!

I have a 08 civic hybrid and

I have a 08 civic hybrid and found that I can easily get over 60 miles per gallon by keeping the RPM's low and staying steady at 52 on short trips of about 30 miles. May take a little longer but when you can get 67.2 mpg, it keeps you wanting to see if you can get more out it.

I've read this thread with

I've read this thread with interest. Here's my two cents.

I bought a 07 Civic Hybrid a few months ago. Yesterday, I got 47 mpg on a 94 mile roundtrip mixed highway and city drive. The newest and revised EPA estimates are 40 city, 45 highway so it's all good.

I also confirmed that the trip computer is accurate, but a little conservative. I get 5% mpg higher when computed the old fashioned way.

Hi MSantos... I have not

Hi MSantos... I have not logged in for a couple of months... I had my 06 HCH at the Dealership for 3 days in Jan-Feb, and they ran tests on it, and finally found that the problem is that the wheel bearings were shot (15, 000 kms). That was supposed to be the main cause of my low MPG's. The bearings were replaced... and it made absolutely no difference. I am still averaging 30-32 MPG's combo highway and city. City only is 22 mpg's. Over the past several months, I have changed my driving habits immensely, driving only by the guages, staying within speed limits, etc... and nothing has changed for me. I am really at a loss. My Accord could get 45 MPG's Highway and 38-40 combo. No one at Honda Canada returns my calls, or seem to know too much about the Hybrid. Its been a real fiasco.

My dealer, in consultation with the Toronto office, wants to give me $2000.00 toward an '08 Accord, as a compensation for the inconvenience and aggravation the past 2 years! THis is after 4 months of waiting to hear from them!!! I have been a Honda driver for over 20 years.... I have visited several other dealerships the past two weeks, and their offers beat out Honda by a long-shot. I can walk away with an '09 Camry for a cheaper price than an '08 Accord!!! Tha nks for your patience MSantos.

Gman1964: Sorry it took too

Gman1964:

Sorry it took too long for you to emerge out of your problems. The Camry is a nice car and I am sure you'll be happy with it, should you choose to buy it.

Wish you the best of luck and health.

Cheers

MSantos

Hi MSantos Since my last

Hi MSantos

Since my last posting I have had my 06 HCH at the dealer 2 times. I have had a loaner car for 6 days. There is still absolutely no one who can pin-point why my gas mileage is 25-32 mpg's. Having had the wheel bearings replaced, and software updates, that was supposed to be the end of the problems. I am still at a loss. The temperature here is 65 so the cold is really not a factor.

Last week was the straw that broke the camel's back. I was merging onto a major highway, when the 06HCH died... all lights on the dash illuminated, the steering stiffened, brakes tightened. Dead Car. I was almost rear-ended by another car. I placed the car in park, and started it again. I made it home safe, and called the dealer, and once again, called Honda Canada! Well they had the car for 5 days. Here's their findings:

1. The ignition KEY is to blame! Apparently the computer chip in the key is not communicating with all the electronic components in the car. That's why the key gets stuck in the ignition occasionally and won't turn. That's why the "auto-off" rarely engages at red lights and stop signs!

2. They also found a series of loose ground wires, which could have caused the problems.

I trust this is going to solve everything. Each time I go to the dealer, there is a new finding. All the findings "may have" caused the problems. There are no clear-cut answers. I'm really at a loss.

I have registered several calls with Customer Relations at Honda Canada, and they have been the most obnoxious, self-righteous and arrogant people I have ever encountered on the telephone. If I were to listen to their "Honda-Perfectionism," I would believe that my HCH is the only HYbrid in North America that is experiencing any problems. Well, I feel so special! A real Honda Canada Martyr!

I really do not know what to expect next... my trust level of this HCH has diminished, and now I feel unsafe, unsure what will happen next! I have locked away the "bad-key" and as of last night, I am using the other key.

Any insights?

Gman

I recently bought a 2008 HCH

I recently bought a 2008 HCH and I love it. It is definitely a different driving experience as compared to a "normal" car. Takes a little getting use to watching the gauges and keeping the car at a constant speed. My first fill-up I managed a calculated 41.9 mpg! I was thrilled, smiling ear to ear because the last car I had (a 2001 Camry V6) only achieved 25 on a good day. The kicker was seeing it only took 30 bucks to fill! Wow...completely amazed. Anyways, last week in the morning, I was driving on the freeway doing 60 or 65 when all of a sudden the car started lurching back and forth, almost like a hiccup (hard to explain). I had to let off the gas and brake a little to make it stop. It does it occasionally in traffic too. Is this common with the CVT or hybrids in general? I have never owned a car with a CVT before. This movement from the car seemed to come out of nowhere. Other than this little issue, the car is great.