+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=chiludo67;14671]OK you want suggestions for Richard & other skeptics?

I think you misunderstood my post about our experience about our new 2008 HCH. The intent was to say very clearly that we are very satisfied with our new HCH - we are in no way disappointed.

Any new car that meets or exceeds EPA guidelines when new and in the winter is OK with me. Also, we are not trying to hypermile or adjust our driving habits (other than me using the dash instruments) - that will come as we gain experience with the car. I expect to get +50mpg this summer when it warms up and we take some longer trips.

I feel that Honda is a mature and conservative auto maker that produces very good vehicles. My work car is an Accord with 193,000 miles on it. Still gets +31mpg, uses almost no oil and drives very much like a new car. I know people who expect to get 300,000 miles out of their old Accords and Civics. Value sometimes is found in areas other that simply meeting EPA mpg numbers.

Bet regards to all, Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I am about to purchase a small Hybrid.

The doubt is between the Honda Civic and the Toyota Prius.

What I find from news in the Consumer reports bulletins is a bit concerning.
    Basically, I could summarize it in one statement for each vehicle:

The Toyota Prius is much more fuel-efficient than the Honda and the Users amply testify this. However, there are also very disturbing reports that, on an unknown number of cases, the Prius has severe battery problems, battery discharge conditions that generate the need for frequent charges, also when the vehicle is stopped for 2 weeks or more, and several complains fall on the display system as weel The fuel gauge and consumption meters are at fault and finally, the thin tires wear out or blow, as a result of scratches developped on them (cause may be attributed to bad usage, but not sure). What is disturbing is that Toyota service and parts do not respond appropriatelly (in the USA - no idea here).

The Honda Civic is not known, in the 2005 & after versions, to have any serious maintenance flaws, so the ability of the maintenance crews cannot be ascertained. While this is good (no need to resort to them), it's also not very reassuring to risk being the first one to find out.
    What is not in favor of the Civic Hybrid is that we should expect average 6-7 liters per 100 Km, if we do not want to drive like nanny (why the heck should we?...).

In summary: The Honda is less economic, but seems safer, on the reliability side (assistance included).

Another (very personal) choice of mine is aesthetical and appeals to my preference: None is good to go around. The Prius is certainly distinctive, but ugly. The Honda is nice, but that "only" a Civic.

Conclusion: I'd prefer an Accord Hybrid, but that does not sell in my country...

So I guess I'lll forget all that an instead by a BMW with a 2-liter Diesel Engine (177 HP, lots of torque and... just 5-6 liters of gasoil per 100 Km. That's even CHEAPER than tan these Hybrids!...

Yeah, there's a catch: I wonder if is wise to spend an EXTRA 25-35 K USD just to have a lot better driving and confort (and image too!) - I could not possibly use the "economy" argument, despite spending even less FUEL that you guys!...

I'm still divided.

Please don't make the mistake I did and purchase a Honda Civic hybrid.

Look on the main page and you'll see why there is a strong reason why Prius sales are number one.

It probably cuz it gets close to it's "advertised" mpg, unlike the HCH. Yes, Honda stated in its' tv commercials: "The 50 mpg Honda Civic Hybrid"

No where close!

WiseMax:

I own three 2007 Toyota Prius and I use them as fleet vehicles in my company. The Prius does not have "severe" traction battery problems. It does have the same incidence of accessory battery issues as the average car. Yes, if the car is not driven for several weeks then the accessories 12V battery may suffer. But to say that the Prius is unreliable is to be very far from the truth.

The Prius is THE most reliable vehicle on the road today (hybrid or not). The Civic Hybrid is the most reliable Honda in the entire automaker's stable. Even the Ford escape hybrid is the most reliable SUV in Ford's lineup. See a pattern here?

The guess gauge on the Prius is a well known issue/attribute (due to its fuel bladder) but it is not one that most people cannot deal with... and it is also the reason why people think they get great fuel economy on the Prius when in fact they do not at fill-up time. Please check Priuschat.com for additional info.

Getting 6-7 liters/100km is expected for the extreme winter season, and a Prius will get similar if not worse mileage under the same conditions. During the summer most Honda Civic Hybrid drivers get well below 5. Many of us get well below 3.8 liters/100km.
    Please check the mileage database at www.GreenHybrid.com. The Prius recorded mileage is almost 2 MPG better than the Civic Hybrid. Thousands of owners contribute to that database and the bulk of them (myself included) trend similarly.

Also, feel free to check the mileage database at www.cleanMPG.com to see a similar trend.

No, we do not drive like granny. We drive by the hybrid instruments that we paid for. Why buy a hybrid with extra instrumentation if you are going to ignore it and drive it like any other car you've had?

It is all in the attitude and your sense of social and environmental responsibility. If you have a heavier foot and you see nothing wrong with that and you have no willingness to change, then no sensible hybrid is for you.

The Accord Hybrid was discontinued because performance hybrids are a generally bad idea.

Judging from your post, I feel you'll be better served by another car that appeals to your perception of how a car should be driven. Yes, a diesel should be good for you.

You too, Chiludo67. Since you already own an MDX and an NSX (hardly economical and environmentally friendly vehicles) an AT-PZEV hybrid is not a good choice for you either.

A partial zero-emissions vehicle like the Prius and the Civic Hybrid is only fully appreciated by those people who place the technology, the car's features and design into the perspective intended by its engineers & designers.

Again, like Chiludo76 says: Do not buy this car... And certainly do not buy the Prius either.
    These cars are not satisfying for folks who place track performance ahead of environmental performance. They are best suited for people who care about making a change for the sake of the environment and to save money in the process, and in that order.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hybrid Major Scam

I can relate to those who are getting low gas mileage. I have an 06 HCH. The first year... great mileage on both Highway and In-City... 55-65 MPG! Bravo.

Then came my first service. $90.00 later. And wow... severe drop in MPG's... low 30's... start going back to Honda... they start adjusting everything... no change. SEcond service this past December and low and behold... they found the problem, there was a software update that had to be done! Had the car serviced... filled the tank, so excited that I would reclaim my pride in being a GREEN Canadian! Today, I sadly say, I filled up my car... done the calculations... and here's the results:

27.48 MPG (Imperial Gallon)
    22.89 MPG (U.S. Gallon)

It's worse than ever before. I'm at a loss here. I've read everything possible, followed every suggestion and advice... and even drive like an 85 year old Nun. What the hell is one to do? I feel scammed... cheated... feel like a guinea pig... and now, so upset that I just want to have a large lemon painted on each side of the car, and let Canada know that Honda just isn't there yet.

And please ... MSantos... you have to begin respecting other's feelings and experiences. We can't all be wrong. This is MY experience!

Scammed in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Gman1964 View Post
    27.48 MPG (Imperial Gallon)
    22.89 MPG (U.S. Gallon)

And please ... MSantos... you have to begin respecting other's feelings and experiences. We can't all be wrong. This is MY experience!
    Gman1964:

While there will always be some for whom hybrids will not work (including the odd "lemon" here and there), there's a much larger majority of HCH owners for whom the HCH-II is an outstanding vehicle... and our numbers prove it.

Please do not confuse rejecting the "reality" of a vocal minority as an implicit lack of respect. I have never demonstrated any lack of respect towards anyone and I as many others will accept a difference of opinion when the facts add up.

Sadly they do not yet add up in your situation. Based on the information you provided in your recent postings, you disclosed multiple factors that would explain your low mileage. We offered advice and made several suggestions that could have made a difference. Yet, you have not provided any feedback concerning an alteration of your habits, or adherence to any recommendation provided in this forum.

Now, I'll tell you what: Since you are in Canada, please PM me with the order number for your last service invoice and I will see what I can do (do not include any additional info, personal or otherwise).

Cheers;

MSantos

I have had the same

I have had the same experience as Gman. I got much better gas mileage before my first service. (2006 Honda Civic Hybrid) I haven't heard anything about a software update. The service people at my local Honda dealership where I purchased the car just shrug when I tell them about the low mileage. (About 30 city, 37 Highway). I was getting 47 highway before the service. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you!!

Ann

Ann716; Would you be able to

Ann716;

Would you be able to review you last service invoice? Can you verify that they used 0W20 oil as they were supposed to?

Such a loss in mileage after the first service is often due to the dealer using a different oil grade. Unfortunately, there have also been dealerships that record the correct information but do something else entirely. At first, the best suggestion I can give is to observe them carefully and ask questions. If you are not comfortable with the dealership I suggest you start servicing your vehicle at an alternate location.

Also, would you be able to give us more details. For instance:
    -Driving distances
    -Traffic patterns you drive in (proportion of highway vs city)
    -Weather and temperatures in your area
    -Topography
    -Gas brands
    -Your tire pressures
    -Anything else like (warm-up idling in colder days).

Cheers;

MSantos

I can relate to Gman, as I

I can relate to Gman, as I am driving a 2006 HCH and getting very low gas mileage. It has dropped significantly since the first service, and even worse after the second service. I drive using the gauges, as I tend to be a perfectionist. I use Neutral going down-hill, use Cruise on highways, rarely have the vent turned on the windsheld to avoid emissions in the city. I have had a service done recently and still no change. I'm at a loss here, don't know where to turn. My car is not doing what it was promised to do.

Dilly: I would ask you the

Dilly:

I would ask you the same questions I asked Ann716.

Can you give us more information?

Cheers;

MSantos