+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

I am now 5,000 miles on the

I am now 5,000 miles on the new HCH II averaging 42- 45 mpg depending on city-hwy driving. I am seeing better mileage if I am hauling around the city with just half a gas tank. When the gas tank hits empty, i only fill half the gas tank ( approx: 5 gallons) . All that extra weight of filling the gas tank to full makes a big difference.

My suggestion to city users is to fill up the gas tank half instead of full. You might be able to extract additional 20 to 25 miles on that half gas tank ( again .... depends on your driving habits). With half a gas tank, you can still drive 180 to 230 miles depending on your driving conditions and i don't see any scarcity of gas stations in the cities.

Weight makes all the difference.One gallon of gas approx weighs 6.5 pounds. So you do the math!

VJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Dear MSantos, Well, I'm

Dear MSantos,

Well, I'm sorry that you didn't respond to my simple question ... it wasn't the dealbreaker, but I ended up buying a 2002 Prius and I'm very happy with it thus far!

Hi LMorland; Congratulations

Hi LMorland;

Congratulations on the purchase of your 2003 Prius. It is an awesome car and if drive it really well it can give you very good fuel economy numbers- enough to make some owners of newer hybrids envious.

Sorry I did not answer your question in time (Although I did... as soon as it was possible for me to do so).

Good luck and enjoy.

MSantos

I was at dealer the other

I was at dealer the other day and asked them to inflate my tire to 40 front and 38 rear. they convinced me that if the tires were inflated to that pressure the tires will be worn in the middle really fast and may burst. How true they were?

Their knowledge is outdated

Their knowledge is outdated and lacking.

Today's steel belted tires make it almost impossible for the tire to flex outwards in the middle as the pressures go up (even at two times the maximum rated pressure for the tire). They will however wear more rapidly on the outer edges if inflated at the recommended pressure 32psi or lower.

Bursting is a common occurrence with under inflated tires and extra vehicle load. Tires will not explode even if inflated to twice their maximum pressure rating.

What they said is definitely not current and hence, false.
    Next time, I would suggest that you ask them when did they receive their last technical training on the subject?

You'll be surprised.

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...on=19&id=27281

Cheers;

MSantos

quote "There's quite a few

quote "There's quite a few factors that will determine if Auto Stop activates. Some things that will prevent it are being in "Sport" mode with the auto transmission, haveng defrost/defog on, low state of charge on the big battery, coming to a very sudden stop, extreme low ambient temperature, repeated low speed stops-and-starts. Basically, if it doesn't come on, there's a reason. Though I wonder sometimes quote

Me too. Sometimes it just doesn't work. Usually if I drift to a stop it is a sure thing.

I have a 2007 Honda Civic

I have a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. Someday there will be a class action lawsuit related to the poor mpg. I will be in that line.
    The odd thing is I met a young man who also had a twin of my car. I followed him for 16 miles. He got 49 mpg. I got 32 mpg. Same road, same cars, same type of starting and stopping.

Hi Bob; Nothing odd about

Hi Bob;

Nothing odd about getting 49MPG at all. In fact, we see this so often in the driving clinics we offer that I will readily confirm your observations.

Typical case in point:

Sometimes, we get new HCH owners complaining about their low mileage. I get in the car with them and they go for a short little drive. Upon our return from this short little trip we arrive with the car in the mid to high 30 MPG's.

Anyway, we press the tires up a bit and we take the owners in their new car for a drive but this time we're driving over exactly the same course they picked earlier. When we arrive we have the mileage ranging from 55-65 MPG. Predictably, they can't believe the very same car got double the MPG's. I would react the same way if I were them.

After this, we tell them what they did wrong and showed them what we did right and they take out their car for one last drive with me seating in the passenger seat. Upon our return we usually arrive in the high 40's to low 50's.

Quite an eye opener, heh? You see, the car has all it takes for us to achieve great mileage but it often is up to us to get the MPG's we want. Getting 60+ MPG in city driving or 70+ MPG on the highway is a regular thing for me. If you wish, we can show you how.

Whether it means anything or not, I will likely be on Honda or Toyota's side if there's ever a class action suit relating to poor MPG.

Cheers;

MSantos

It amazes me how cars that

It amazes me how cars that are supposed to save gas actually don't

it's just noise they make, to motivate people to buy the new models.

Have you been monitoring your gas consumption still?
    Any improvements?

What did the company say?

Hi Msantos, Where can we

Hi Msantos, Where can we find more information about the driving clinics that you mentioned in your earlier post? Thanks.