+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Honda Civic hybrid poor gas mileage

I just bought a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid in September. I am very disgusted with this car because of the poor gas mileage. I average about 32.5 on a tank of gas. That is combined city and highway in the Northeast. I would never have bought this car if I knew the mileage was so bad. The stickers for 2008 say 40 to 45, but I never have gotten close to 40. I have read all I can on how to drive the car, but those adjustments (including raising the tire pressure to 35, coasting, cruise control, and driving like a grandmother) have made no difference. I should have bought a Prius. I have two friends who have one and they both average between 40 and 50 mpg.i plan to pursue my complaint with the company. Any body having similar problems? any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by soniamichael1 View Post
    The stickers for 2008 say 40 to 45, but I never have gotten close to 40. I have read all I can on how to drive the car, but those adjustments (including raising the tire pressure to 35, coasting, cruise control, and driving like a grandmother) have made no difference. I should have bought a Prius.
    soniamichael1:

Northeast? Then that mileage is not that bad at all especially since you still have your tire pressure at less than 35 psi? Whether you drive a Civic Hybrid of Prius II, 35 psi is hardly the formula for fuel economy success - good FE results begin when you set the tire pressures to 38 or 40 (at least). I also bet there are also a few things that can undergo some improvements. Why? Because I have two Civic Hybrids and 3 Prius and I live in a much colder "city-only" commuting environment.

Without those improvements, a Prius or any other car is not going to make you look much better. Both cars achieve "abysmal" mileage when exposed to colder weather and short trips... But then again any other cars under the same circumstances will always fare much, much worse.

What are some of those improvements?
    1. Install and use an engine block heater.
    2. In colder days block your front grille.
    3. Always compute your mileage by hand. The HCH display typically underestimates the MPG. The Prius almost always overestimates the MPG.
    4. Raise your tire pressure to 40 PSI in the front and 38 in the rear.
    5. Avoid any fuel with ethanol.
    6. Don't drive like grandma. Instead, drive smarter and by the instruments. Those extra gauges you paid for have a purpose, so let use them appropriately. To help, please DO read and understand Tarabell's article for all the info you need in this department.
    7. Absolutely, and under no circumstance idle your car for warm up only. This kills fuel economy and the car - not to mention the environment and your pocketbook.

If you can, go for a ride in your friend's Prius. If they are getting 50MPG or around that, then I bet they may be able to teach you a thing of two. Clearly and most assuredly the difference in is the drivers and many here will vouch for that (including myself).

Please let us know you you need further info. We'll be happy to assist.

Cheers;

MSantos

Have you got the real time mileage indicator showing, the one in the upper left corner of the speedo cluster? I find it's feedback very helpful.

Is your auto-stop mode working? If not there are things you can do to ensure it does:

set ventilation mode to "Auto" (except disable AC, unless you really need, either because it's really hot, or you can't keep the cabin defogged). Some of the other modes, straight defog, and defog/heat, for two, seem to disable Auto-Stop.

Verify you're not in "Sport" mode on the tranny. It will also lock out Auto-Stop and make for a general hit on fuel economy.

I would leave the cruise off. It's a dumb system, it's sole object is to keep your speed near constant, and you can easily improve on it's mileage. Let your speed rise and fall a bit with the terrain, as long as you don't have a psychotic tail-gater.

Maybe take your tire pressures up a bit more, say 40 front, 38 back.

A lot of mileage depends on the nature of your trips. Over the holidays, our mileage got down to around 5.9 l/100km, which equates to a little over 40 mpg. This was still a mix of driving, but more highway, and longer trips. Still there were some short trips.

More typically my wife is doing a lot of short trips between local clients, shopping etc. With a tankful like that our mileage will go up to 6.5~6.7 l/100km, especially in winter.

Wow! Another Honda Civic Hybrid Owner like me that has been scammed.

All these Hybrids are scams!!!!!!!

Well, at least your sticker stated 40mph City 45 Highway.

My 2007 sticker stated 50 mph City 51 Highway. I have never gotten close to that.

SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiludo67 View Post
    All these Hybrids are scams!!!!!!!
    SCAM SCAM SCAM.
    chiludo67:

Do you have any valued suggestions that would enable soniamichael1 to improve and achieve the mileage so many of us typically get?

Judging from your attitude and consistent lack of contributory input I would think not. Can you alter your negativism and prove me wrong?
    I would appreciate that more than anything else.

Please show us that you have the willingness and learning ability to understand a hybrid and please share your knowledge with us. Will you?

Cheers;

MSantos

We have had our 2008 HCH for almost a month and are very pleased with it. Average MPG (manually computed) is exactly 44.0 MPG. Two tanks at +46.0, one at +45.0, two at +44.0 and the rest never worse than 41.5mpg.

Our driving consists of my wife going about 3.5 mi one way to work, local trips and two weekly trips of about 140mi that involves 45mph to 65mph driving on local roads and 7-9% long grades.

We are not pumping up the tire pressure yet, my wife pays no particular attention to the instruments (I do, however), we do not warm the car up and are pretty much following our normal driving routines. The car has less tham 3,000 miles (oil at 70%) and I expect to push 50mpg average when the warm weather gets here. The other morning it was very cold and the mpg went down 0.3 just getting to the end of the driveway. In warmer conditions it shows no decrease while driving and warming the engine up.

I realize that driving styles differ but we are not the kind of drivers that you would hate to follow - just smooth and steady. I think that expectations differ from customer to customer. The HCH seems to be a very good car - comfortable, well built and very conservative with respect to fuel economy. Our other vehicle is a 2005 Jeep Liberty 4WD that gets 18.5 to 24.0 mpg depending on the trip (Yes, it really did get 24mpg while driving 70mph on a trip to PA - hard for me to believe but it did happen). Friends of ours could never do better than around 14mpg from a similar vehicle - go figure.

OK you want suggestions for Richard & other skeptics?

1. Remove the back seat and spare tire & tools and all extra weight in the car including floor mats.
    2. Drive in your underwear and loose weight.
    3. Only drive on days with no headwind.
    4. ALWAYS tailgate 18-wheelers and SUVs!
    5. When going downhill shift to "N".
    6. Remove your front license plate.
    7. Very very gently accelerate onto freeways.
    8. And finally, ALWAYS coast like a glider to your destination when possible.

THEN maybe, just maybe, you'll achieve the stated sticker mpg of 45 mpg. Unlike you Santos skipping and throwing potpourri on your HCH I agree with this post. That is the purpose of these communities.

I am a loyal Honda Owner. I own a MDX, NSX and I sold my CRX HF to buy this HCH thinking I would get something close to the stated mpg of 50-51. I was so excited at the thought of 50 mpg! Pfffttt! NOT EVEN CLOSE! In my opinion Honda blew on this one and I should have bought the Prius! I look at their threads and they don't complain about their gas mileage. MY CRX averaged close to 50 mpg; and it was a 20 year old car!!!! That's 10 mpg better than this 25K SCAM!

My suggestion to anyone new or thinking about buying a Honda Civic Hybrid:

DON"T BUY IT!!!!!!

The extra $5K in price compared to a non hybrid for the mpg will disappoint you. You will never achieve the stated sticker mpg.

Pssssst.............

Wannna know a dirty little secret 2007 vs. 2008 HCH owners have noticed on these threads? Honda lowered the 2008 HCH sticker from last year's 50mpg down to 40mpg!!!! This is probably due to unhappy owners like me.

Now if I bought a 2008 HCH that stated 40-45 mpg I wouldn't be so angry that this was a scam. My sticker stated 50-51 mpg! Take it from a 2007 HCH owner you might obtain 40 mpg in the city if you drive like a conservative and that is it. Now tell me. After nearly 20 years since Honda introduced the Civic CRX and the Civic VX they added all this technology to the Civic Hybrid and now you're telling me it gets less less gas mileage????? There is no reason why they ought to be getting at least 70 mpg. The HCH is a SCAM holdout until the Plug-in hybrids come out.

Here's to SCAMS!

Chiludo

Pssssst.............

Wannna know a dirty little secret 2007 vs. 2008 HCH owners have noticed on these threads? Honda lowered the 2008 HCH sticker from last year's 50mpg down to 40mpg!!!! This is probably due to unhappy owners like me.
    I wish you could have made your points from an informed position. Clearly, seeking and receiving valid information for the purpose of avoiding embarrassment is not one of your goals.

Here's is yet another set of undeniable truths (I doubt you'll even assimilate these ones):
    -The EPA was the one who set the 2008 MPG ratings due to its revised testing procedures.
    -All cars where hit by the revised testing procedures.
    -No car manufacturer can choose what to print on that sticker.
    -Every manufacturer must print on the sticker the value the EPA mandates.

And since you are so bent on complaining instead of learning I suggest you do the following:

SUE Honda!!! Really!
    Surely, your words and conviction must be strong enough for you to win, right? Please, prove to us all that your incessant whining is justified. Otherwise, be a responsible adult by owning up to his/her consumer choice, and either learn to drive a hybrid car properly or dump it. Judging from your words and attitude, I will guarantee you'll be scammed by the Prius as well.

Good luck & please let others learn even if you are unwilling to.

MSantos

Check Out Epa Fuel Economy Web Site

Check out www.fueleconomy.gov web site reviewing actual consumer experiences. Consumers are hitting the mark on the revised EPA standards.

I was so excited at the thought of 50 mpg! Pfffttt! NOT EVEN CLOSE! In my opinion Honda blew on this one and I should have bought the Prius! I look at their threads and they don't complain about their gas mileage.
    Look more carefully bud. the Prius gets the same complaining from some owners too. If U really wanna see where the Prius owners hang out and really whine then go to www.priuschat.com... you will see how much complaining there is about the prius too.

Stop being full of BS. there are many more of us who are happy with the car so stop poluting the forum with your lies and ignorance.

nuff said