+ Reply to Thread

snow chains on a new Civic Hybrid?

hello all,

has anyone had experience putting snow chains on a late model Civic Hybrid? Just bought a 2008, and it looks like the clearances are pretty tight. I read the earlier thread about using Blizzak tires (which I've used and like), but occasionally we get weather in the NW that requires a bit more traction.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

pcope

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Page 238 of the Owners manual says the following about tire chains:
    "Mount tire chains on your tires when required by driving conditions or local laws. Install them only on the front tires. Because your vehicle has limited tire clearance, Honda strongly recommends using the chains listed below, made by Security Chain Company (SCC) CH2311T."

hi Peggy,

thanks! I must confess that I'd skimmed over the listing for recommended chains in the manual but hadn't noted it properly. I had discussed the issue with my dealer, who had made a somewhat vague mention of using "Cobra" brand S-chains (the designation for low-clearance chains, which the Civic Hybrid requires).

However, when I saw your message, I did some more digging to find out about the chains listed in the manual. I obtained some information from SCC (the company that makes the suggested chains), so I thought I'd post it, in case other Civic users might find it helpful.

Basically, the chain style listed in the Civic Hybrid manual (SCC # CH2311T) is a low-clearance (S) type of chain, but it is also a 'ladder'-style or radial style chain, which gives poorer traction (and performs less well) with ABS brakes.

SCC has a pretty helpful website describing the different styles of chains that they make, including a pull-down menu to identify all the potential chain models that will fit a particular tire size. Here's the URL:

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...omparison.html

According to the info on their website, the best alternative is one of their "Z-style" tire chains, all of which are also suitable for low-clearance tires; the SCC website actually has a nice illustration of the relative clearances for the different chain styles. And the Z-style chains have apparently performed better with anti-lock brakes.

However, I was still a bit concerned about whether the Z-style chains are compatible with the new Civic Hybrid, so I sent a query to SCC customer information. Here's what their representative sent back:

“This is actually a good question and I will try and answer it the best I can. Honda is one of only a couple of car manufacturers that test our products on their vehicles. We are not sure why they call for the CH2311T-- whether it be because of clearance or they just listed the least expensive chain that we offer for that size tire (we think it maybe the latter). All the Z-style chains meet class S requirements, so we don' t think it was because of clearance (although we are not 100% sure of this). I would think that the Z-Chains will work just fine [on the Civic Hybrid], especially if you have low profile tires with rims that protrude outward where the rims stick out past or even with the sidewalls of the tires, because these chains do not use a rubber chain tighteners which can come in contact with the rim and can scratch them. So if the owner’s manual says to use a chain that meets class S clearance requirement, then I would recommend the Z-Chain.”

Of course, if anyone has had personal experience with these different chain styles, one way or the other, I'd still be very interested to hear about it.

cheers,

pcope

Found Spikes-Spiders, which

Found Spikes-Spiders, which mount on the HUB and rest on the tire. They are EXCELLENT.
    http://www.spikes-spiders.com/productInfo/.

Best iof luck to you.

I will be purchasing some

I will be purchasing some Blizzak tires for my car like others on the list. I drove through I-80 to San Fran this past summer and seem to recall that the mountain passes required snow chains OR dedicated snow tires (with the snowflake emblem on the sidewall). The Blizzak brand of tires are a good enough substitute for snow chains that friends of mine travel over the mountain from San Fran to Salt Lake City with nothing but Blizzak tires and they are allowed to pass.
    Tractor Hire Cambridgeshire