+ Reply to Thread

Can a hybrid jump-start a NON-hybrid?

[ This was also posted under the Prius group, which is really the wrong place for it. ]

My family has three cars -- an 02 Prius, an 07 Camry Hybrid, and an 05 Honda CRV. Now the battery is weak on the CRV, and it won't start.

I've read (specifically in the jump-starting entry on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_start_%28vehicle%29) that a hybrid's secondary battery can't be used to jump-start a conventional vehicle, because the hybrid's 12-volt battery just is not designed to provide the surge of current that a starter requires. This seems technically reasonable to me (a software engineer w/o mechanical skills).

Any thoughts on this?

I'm kinda stuck at the moment. I guess I'll have to ask a neighbor for a jump. I never really considered this possible downside to having a hybrid.

Barry S.
    Phoenix, AZ

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Its sort of like a downside to having a hybrid alright. But actually it is your friend's downside for NOT having one :-)

I can't actually confirm whether this is true however.

Not true. Have used my Prius

Not true.

Have used my Prius to jump start my Honda Element. I was washing both cars with the music going in the Honda for some time. The car's battery is over four years old and I guess after three hours of high level music it lost juice. I jump started the Honda in about 45 seconds. The prius has a normal battery like any other car besides the hybrid battery system. I just used the positive connector on the prius as well as the negative to the frame. The manual explains this very clearly.

However, the Prius manual

However, the Prius manual clearly states that the Prius cannot be used to jump start another car.
    S010 manual page 545-547.

However, the Prius 2010

However, the Prius 2010 manual states that the prius cannot be used to jump start another car.