+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Throttle/Powertrain Wrench Light

Well, My 08 FEH now has 25,000 miles. Recently, the Wrench light has been coming on. Until I got my owners manual out, I thought this was a service engine soon light. I see that it,s a Throttle/Powertrain Fault light. I have a scangauge II and it shows no codes. Does anyone know if this is an OBD II indication or is it a seperate system? Also, anyone else have this indication, and if so, What was the problem. The light comes on only sometimes and always resets on restart.

Thanks
    Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi Ed I'm getting a wrench

Hi Ed

I'm getting a wrench and service engine soon message every once in a while with no SCII codes also. When I cycle the key on and off, everything clears. I ask the expert Desertdog or his name Carl if there was a way we could program the SGII Xgauge to give us a better scan of the FEH/MMH trouble codes. Carl is checking with Ron Delong who invented the SG, but he thinks we can. Here is his message to me of what to do when you get a message with no SGII code:

"The next time you get a message, use your Sg to send a mode 3 request. MORE>MORE>CMNDS then enter 03 in one of the memories and hit send. If you get back 4300, the problem is with a module other than the Pcm . Or, you can edit a memory in the CMNDS and put 220200 in and hit send. That should give you the number of stored and pending DTCs. Hopefully I can get up with Ron and he can tell me if accessing the other module DTCs is possible like I think it is."

Hope this helps!

GaryG

Hi Gary, Thanks for your

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for your quick response. I tried your suggestions and on the 03 command I got 4300. On the 220200 I got 620200. I guess thats 62 stored codes and 2 pending. I drive about 225 miles a day in delivery and probably do a shut down and restart 30 times a day. Somedays the wrench will not light and others it comes on 10 times. It always resets when I restart. I do not notice anything wrong with powertrain as it seems to drive normally. I might have to go to dealer for service, but I need the FEH in my business 5 days a week. I am hoping it is something simple. Please let me know if Carl or Ron comes up with DTC's on SG II.
    Ed

Ed, it's hard to say what

Ed, it's hard to say what the problem is, but it could be a $12 relay acting up because of all those shutdowns and restarts. I had to replace 3 relays I think for this reason after I had used a technique called Forced Auto Stop (FAS) for about 6 months. This technique is used by many hypermilers who turn their engines off in neutral and coast to a lower speed and restart. It's also a technique used in Pulse (accelerate) and Glide in neutral with the engine off.

The Ford tech said I had so many codes stored in my PCM, they couldn't determine the problem. It cost me ~$1,200 for 3 tows to the dealership and hours spent to find the problem. I now carry a spare relay and don't FAS anymore.

You might want to purchase one of these relays and exchange one at a time to see if this solves your problem. My service engine soon light had been coming on and resetting till the relay went completely bad and would not let me start the FEH.

Here is a thread I posted on CleanMPG.com that gives all the details with pictures of the relays and there location:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6882

Of course if Carl passes on any info on the SG codes, I pass that on here for everyone if he doesn't.

GaryG

Hi Gary, Thought I would let

Hi Gary,

Thought I would let you know the what the problem was. I took to dealer and DTC showed Traction Battery over heated. Traced problem to A/C blend door motor being bad. Had it back next day. I tried to use BTM on SG II and it dosen't work on the 08 FEH. I read in another forum that this xgauge changed for 08. I am using the Tav (average) and it works, but it is slow to display temp changes. I hope SG updates info for 08 FEH. Anyway, the wrench light has not come on since. Thanks for your help, and I did buy a spare relay just in case.

Ed

Thanks for the update ED. I

Thanks for the update ED. I looked at the repair manual and this is what I found. A DTC is flagged when the HV battery temperature varies from the DTC window range -40F to 135F degrees. Also, a failure of any of the internal HVTB climate control components/circuitry causes a DTC to be flagged.

The Temperature Blend Door Actuator and its circuitry sounds like more of the problem than the HV battery overheating, but I guess it could have. The actuator can be replaced, but the climate control housing has to be removed and the refrigerant has to be recovered.

I'm just wondering if a simple reflash of the Traction Battery Control Module was done so the circuitry would operate properly. BTW, that blend door closes off the outside vent so the A/C can recirculate cold air within the HV battery housing. You can see the blend door by removing the HV battery filter. When I replace the filter (every 20,000 miles), the blend door is always closed with the key off. Make sure you replace the filter at least every 20,000 miles in case the HV battery goes bad under warranty. Keep all paperwork on filter purchases and even that repair work saying the battery overheated because of the actuator or blend door. Ford will look for any reason to void a $7,000 battery warranty as they did with me. It turned out it was those relays and not my battery, but I seen what Ford was trying to do when they thought I had a bad HV battery.

Thanks again for sharing because it can help others learn more about problems in the future.

GaryG

light is on brought it to

light is on brought it to the Metro ford dealer ( Mass ). and they say it's showing no codes ??. Vehicle is still there. What could be causing this

Just had my 08 Mariner

Just had my 08 Mariner Hybrid in for svc today due to the Wrench Light Warning Indicator. I'm so glad that I purchased an extended warranty from my credit union.

Total repair cost? $700 ..... OUCH!

Just had my 08 Mariner

Just had my 08 Mariner Hybrid in for svc today due to the Wrench Light Warning Indicator. I'm so glad that I purchased an extended warranty from my credit union.

Total repair cost? $700 ..... OUCH!

I have been away for awhile,

I have been away for awhile, I also have had the Wrench warning light pop on about 6 times over the past 6 months. I have a '08 MMH with 55K miles. I do not remember any charge for replacing the battery air filter and am sure Ford would have charged and duly noted it. So where and how do I change it and is there a cabin air filter too?