+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Starter Battery Mystery

I have never had any problem with my IMA. Had it checked recently and still rated at 98 % . My question is whats up with the small starter battery. Supposedly its incase your IMA is down, you can still start car and then charge IMA. My problem is that the starter battery has gone dead on me 5 times over the life of the car and when it is dead, everything is dead and car will not start without a jump. Is this a design flaw, is there something wrong with just my car or do I just not understand how the system works.

I have a 2010 Prius. The car will not start without a jump. When car is turned off, the car will not start again without a jump. NOTHING lights up, completely dead.

Also, cold (not weather, but when car is cooled down) the engine knocks for about 5 - 7 seconds, then engine runs great, until car is turned off... A jump is again needed to restart.

Now, after this happening a few times, the car will run a little rough when gas pedal pushed to go up freeway ramp, engine stutters, take foot off gas, engine runs great...

Car will now start with only a jump - every time engine is turned off.

Even John Elway Dealer cannot figure out what's wrong with the car...

Sometimes engine light flashes off and on, sometimes engine warning light stays on... intermittent...

Any ideas what's going on?

+ Reply to Thread