+ Reply to Thread

Should I buy an 08 FWD Escape

I have been reading through the post and would really like some honest feedback. I am considering an 08 FWD Escape Hybrid, but am concerned that due to my commute and climate it may not return the kind of mileage that one would expect.

I live in south texas where the A/C runs pretty much 9 months out of the year. My commute is mostly highway 27 miles one way at speeds of about 70 mph.

Do any of you have an idea of what kind of mileage I would get with these scenarios?

Thanks so much for you help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

With the A/C on all the time and somewhat high speeds, you probably won't get the EPA highway mileage. Your 27 mile commute will, however, allow the engine to heat up and 70 mph won't deliver too bad of a speed penalty. With the FWD model, you can probably expect to get mpg in the very high 20's to very low 30's (maybe between 28 and 32 mpg).
    The Hybrid will definitely deliver better mpg than the non-hybrid version under any conditions. I've steered many people to the Escape Hybrid and they have all been very happy with them.
    If better mpg is very important to you, you might want to consider the Camry, Altima, or Civic Hybrids over the SUV body style as all will deliver 35 mpg or better under your driving style.

Hmm. Thanks for your reply, one more thing. How do they handle just sitting with the A/C on. If you have to sit idle, will the A/C still run cold?

Fe08 Ac

The FEH gasoline engine alway runs when the AC is on. The AC will only operate when the gasoline engine is running. If you are sitting parked, the engine will be using gas and will affect your mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by barbchuck View Post
    The FEH gasoline engine alway runs when the AC is on. The AC will only operate when the gasoline engine is running. If you are sitting parked, the engine will be using gas and will affect your mpg.
    Not so if you're in "ECON" mode. The a/c cuts out then. At least according to the manual and my dealer. I live in a non-a/c environment, cool most of the year, so a non-issue for me.

Buying an 08 FWD Escape

We have an 08 4WD Escape, took delivery in September. The ECON mode for the AC will maximize you mpg's by allowing the ICE to cycle on and off as it was designed to. In full AC mode, it stays on all the time so the AC compressor can operate. In our climate (southern Wisconsin) I found that the car doesn't get uncomfortably warm unless it is particularly hot outside. And of course, we won't be using the AC at all until next spring.

If it is so hot where you live that you need to have the AC fully on all the time, you mileage will only be slightly better than with a regular 4 cylinder Escape.