+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New HCH/Bad O2 Sensor

I purchased a new 2008 HCH (Magnetic Pearl) on November 7. I liked the idea of saving some gas and cleaner emissions. I've driven some 1500 miles so far, and my overall mpg is at 46. Considering that the engine is not quite broken in yet, and that colder weather is settling in, I'm pleased with this. There's enough room for me and my relatively long legs. I'm alone, so I don't have passengers very often.

However...

Only ten days after I bought the HCH, the "check engine" light came on. When I had it checked out last Wednesday, the Honda service people said that my O2 sensor needed to be replaced. They ordered one, and I will have it installed next Wednesday. I have had Hondas before, and have found them to be very reliable. This is one of the very few times I've needed to take any of my Hondas in for anything but the scheduled maintenance. Has the O2 sensor been a problem with other HCH's, or other Civics? It's a bit disconcerting to have this happen in a new vehicle!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
    ...Has the O2 sensor been a problem with other HCH's, or other Civics? It's a bit disconcerting to have this happen in a new vehicle!
    I am unaware of any issues relating to O2 sensor failures in the second generation HCH.

But, these things are not totally uncommon even for Honda and Toyota. No matter how carefully a vehicle is assembled, there will always be a part or component out of the thousands in these advanced cars, that is likely to have a manufacturing defect at assembly time. These things do happen and they are a statistical reality.

Fortunately for us, the probability of such early failures in Hondas and Toyotas is the lowest of all manufacturers... so I can assure you that you have chosen a great car and it will serve you well and reliably.

Cheers;

MSantos

I have had two O2 sensors replaced on my 06 HCH. One was at 22,000-ish and the next one 43,000-ish. The same ONE. So is what is the possibility that the car is chewing these things up?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlfreak View Post
    I have had two O2 sensors replaced on my 06 HCH. One was at 22,000-ish and the next one 43,000-ish. The same ONE. So is what is the possibility that the car is chewing these things up?
    As I mentioned before, there have been no widespread failures of the O2 sensor on the gen 2 HCH reported by Honda yet.

However, it does sound odd that you would have had 2 replacements so soon already. Without any more information, the only thing I can do is supply additional info that may provide a clue or two. Please let us know if any apply:
    1. Low quality gas can cause premature deterioration of the O2 sensor. Inappropriate levels of lead, sulfur, burnt oils, fuel additives and even silicone are substances that are common culprits.
    2. Where you live can matter a whole lot too. For example, airborne road salts, water, airborne dirt and other chemicals.
    3. Dirty air filter. Again for the same reason as previous.

Other reasons for early failures is age, as slowly the contaminants accumulate on the tip of the O2 sensor and that causes erratic voltage levels. But clearly, age is not a problem in your case.

One other question: Have you been keeping up with the software updates? These software updates often affect the rich content of the fuel and that more often than not, has a good bearing not only on the O2 sensor but also the life of catalytic converter as well.

Cheers;

MSantos

Software Updates

To M. SANTOS-- in your reply to this post you stated HCH II owners should keep up with software updates. I do all service work at the dealership where I purchased vehicle (2006 HCH II). How do I keep up with software updates??

My apologies, I should have been more explicit.

The best way to keep up with the software updates is to visit the dealer once in a while. If you visit the dealer for all your servicing (particularly the oil changes) then that is already as good as it gets.

Just to be clear, my earlier statement accommodated the possibility that some people may prefer to change their own oil and therefore avoid the dealer visits. In doing so, they are saving a little money in the process, but foregoing the opportunity for additional free service that could be critical to their car's reliability in the longer run.

Cheers;

MSantos

Software Updates

Thanks M. Santos for the clarification. I need to rememnber next time I am at dealer to remind/ask service writer about software updates. My car is doing just fine, so all is well at the present. Bill Thompson.

I've has SEVERAL problems

I've has SEVERAL problems with the oxygen sensors and catalytic converters (there are two) on my 03 HCH. They've all been replaced at least once. Honda America is very difficult to deal with once you're out of the 80,000 mile warranty. Either I got a lemon or the emissions system in the HCH is very poorly designed.

M.Santos has been very

M.Santos has been very helpful. I ordered a 2008 HCH and have these questions:
    1. Is there a fabric treatment for the seats?
    2. Is there an extended warranty for the battery to 150,000 miles?
    3. Does undercoating cover the warnings on the underside of the car?
    4. Should the tire pressure be 32psi or the maximum allowed for the tire?
    5. I have seen EMF data showing the Prius is no higher than other cars. What is the data on the HCH?
    6. What Honda fluids should I have at home?
    7. Are there snow tires in this wheel size? Are they recommended?
    8. How can I use a tape player through the radio?
    9. Fuel: Which fuel is recommended: regular 87 or ethanol 89?
    10. Are both fuels equally controlled for emissions?
    Which additives (already in the gas at the pump) are recommended?

Hi James, and

Hi James, and congratulations on your upcoming HCH.

Onto the answers:

1. Is there a fabric treatment for the seats?
    Yes, but you are often better off securing a can of ScotchGuard yourself for a fraction of the price and apply its contents as directed on a free weekend. You can find a good can $10-$15 at most auto departments in the larger stores.

2. Is there an extended warranty for the battery to 150,000 miles?
    I don't think so but it also depends on where you live. Ask a local or an online dealer just to be sure.

3. Does undercoating cover the warnings on the underside of the car?
    It should NEVER, EVER cover the HV or fuel lines if done properly. The orange sleeved conduits must remain visible and cleared of any other paints or under-body treatments.

4. Should the tire pressure be 32psi or the maximum allowed for the tire?
    32 PSI is the absolute safe miminum pressure value. The maximum safe limit is the sidewall rating which is not surprisingly the most fuel efficient and safest pressure setting.

5. I have seen EMF data showing the Prius is no higher than other cars. What is the data on the HCH?
    The HCH-II has a marginally lower EMF footprint than the Prius II. So no big issues to report in this department.

6. What Honda fluids should I have at home?
    Unless you change your own oil: Few or None
    Some fluids have a certain effective shelf life so it may be worth watching that. For example, you should not store CVT fluid as even Honda reserves the right to reformulate as required. On the other hand it makes sense to stock up on 0W20 oil as well as windshield washer fluid whenever you find it at a good price.

I stock nothing more than windshield washer fluid.

7. Are there snow tires in this wheel size? Are they recommended?
    Yes. But I suggest you mount the snow tires on its own set of steel rims. Mounting and dismounting the winter rubber from the OEM rims will kill the look and finish of the rims in no time in addition to adding to the expenditure twice a year.

8. How can I use a tape player through the radio?
    Use an audio extension cable to connect the tape player output to the AUX jack on the HCH-II. Alternatively you can use an FM modulating kit to broadcast the tape music to an FM station of your choice.

9. Fuel: Which fuel is recommended: regular 87 or ethanol 89?
    87 WITHOUT ethanol is best.

10. Are both fuels equally controlled for emissions?
    Which additives (already in the gas at the pump) are recommended?
    You bet. Ethanol does not improve on the HCH-II Tier-2/Bin-2 rating. In fact, it contains less energy which lowers your mileage. Ethanol does help other cars a great deal though.

Cheers;

MSantos