+ Reply to Thread

Recommendations on Chicago area dealers? Chicago tax breaks?

Looking to probably buy an FEH or MMH, in early 2008. Any advice on good experiences with any specific dealerships in the Chicago area?

Also, anyone know what tax breaks may be available for Illinois, county of Cook or city of Chicago?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

We just picked up our MMH on 10/20. We love it. We were not able to negotiate on the cost of the vehicle, but we did negotiate on the trade in value. We went to about 6 different dealers in the Chicagoland area and ended going back to the first place we went, Napelton Parkridge Lincoln-Mercury. Because of the $3,000 Federal tax credit and the Illinois $1,000 credit from the IL-treasurer, we put an additional $4,000 down on the vehicle. Nintey-five percent of our driving is in the city, so this will help on gas. You know how city driving is... 3 blocks, stop for a light or stop sign, go another few blocks, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mhalleron View Post
    We just picked up our MMH on 10/20. We love it. We were not able to negotiate on the cost of the vehicle, but we did negotiate on the trade in value. We went to about 6 different dealers in the Chicagoland area and ended going back to the first place we went, Napelton Parkridge Lincoln-Mercury. Because of the $3,000 Federal tax credit and the Illinois $1,000 credit from the IL-treasurer, we put an additional $4,000 down on the vehicle. Nintey-five percent of our driving is in the city, so this will help on gas. You know how city driving is... 3 blocks, stop for a light or stop sign, go another few blocks, etc...
    Thanks for the info!

But I am a but confused by your statement about the taaxes... are you saying the tax credit was applied immediately at the time of purchase? So its not something you have to file on your tax return and get the money later? That's an unexpected bonus. Or are you saying you put down the extra money now, knowing you'd get it back later?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. We put the extra cash down, knowing that we are going to get the money back in a few months. I view it basically as a deferral. As I mentioned earlier, we live in the city (west loop), so this is a perfect car, efficient on gas, more room than some hybrids, yet still easy to park on city streets. We ordered it, the dealer told us 4-6 weeks, but it took 9 weeks. Let me know if you need any names, who we talked to at the dealer, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mhalleron View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. We put the extra cash down, knowing that we are going to get the money back in a few months. I view it basically as a deferral. As I mentioned earlier, we live in the city (west loop), so this is a perfect car, efficient on gas, more room than some hybrids, yet still easy to park on city streets. We ordered it, the dealer told us 4-6 weeks, but it took 9 weeks. Let me know if you need any names, who we talked to at the dealer, etc...
    I sent you a message earlier (PM box), and if you could reply with a name of someone good to deal with, that would be much appreciated. Thanks for the clarification.