+ Reply to Thread

Excessive jerking after stopping

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, actually I'm new to forums in general. I just purchased my 2008 Civic Hybrid on October 21st. I already have over 1200 miles on it! Clearly I drive a lot, and that's why I went with a hybrid.

On a few occasions now I have had a jerking start after being stopped at a stop light. Tonight though, it concerned me more. After being stopped at a stop light for a short period of time, I put my foot on the gas and the car jerked for at least a minute, if not more.

I feel like it's too early for this to be happening and am worried about what other things might happen in the future.

If anyone has any insights, please share!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

While a little auto-stop jerking is OK for some 2007 and 2008 models (since the symptoms will wear off a little with time), I would say that 1 whole minute worth of that behavior should be good enough reason to call your dealership and setup an appointment.

However, the key here is reproduceability. If you see it happen a few more times then there's a pretty good chance they can see it too and fix it to your satisfaction. If you can't see it happen until the appointment time then simply exaggerate the symptoms and press then a little. If they dismiss you for whatever the reason (can't reproduce the behavior being one of them) please seek the service of an alternate dealership. Sadly, not all service departments are managed the same way so it is important to find a good one, just in case.

I would recommend you leave the car with them for the day so that they can try it out when the car is cold. If they try it when it is warm then they may dismiss your claim.

For the time being, avoid gunning the gas pedal after an auto-stop. Simply lift the foot off the brake pedal gently (not slowly) and then apply the gas progressively (but not hard) and see if the occurrence subsides. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck;

MSantos

Excessive jerking after stopping

I just purchased 2008 Civic Hybrid and have the same thing... Before the purchase, I also test drove the test model and did the same thing... I'm just hoping this will reslove as the time goes...

I have a 2008 Honda Civic

I have a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid with several thousand miles on it and it too is doing the jerking thing at various times while driving. I took it to the deal and they of course said it didnt happen for them but my wife had it happend for like 5 minutes today so we are taking it back for sure. Any word on what may cause this so i can tell them to look at it? I have also heard about some recalls onthe 06 and 07 models for the same reason, so you think they would know where to look. Any info would be appreciated.

Josh

i read at an article at

i read at an article at Autopartswarehouse that it is a factory defect on honda hybrids. have you tried asking your dealer about it?

I have a 2007 HCH with

I have a 2007 HCH with almost 20k miles on it. Starting at around 2k miles it started jumping like you've described. But also, when I turn the engine on (in park with the E-Brake on) the car jumps forward. Unfortunately it happens sporadically and has not been replicated the 6 times that I've brought it back to the dealership. It seems to happen more with the A/C on. Has anyone else experienced jumping during start-up? The dealership thinks I'm crazy!