+ Reply to Thread

Cold Weather Mileage

I've got a 2006 HCH, great car. 60k+ in 15 months with no problems. But two questions.
    1) Anyone else notice that in cold weather (Upstate NY Winter) the mpg is 5-8 miles less than in warm weather? Why?
    2) Anyone changed the brakes on their 2006 HCH yet? Anything particular to look out for?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I think you're doing pretty good if you are only getting 5-8 MPG less.

How about some "Shock Therapy" just to get an idea of what the relationship between fuel economy and temperature can be when taken over a broader spectrum?

Check my 1+ year long mileage in the following link:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...S)&viewcar=161

I don't know of any gen 2 HCH that has actually gone through a change of brakes (pads or rotors). For many of us the pads alone will last the life of the car.

Cheers;

MSantos

Re:

Why exactly is there the mpg difference depending upon the outside temperature? I While I have not noticed the extreme differences that you recorded I probably vary within a 10mpg from hot summer to coldest winter. Average speed 75mph.

How many miles does Honda say that their factory brake pads will last? (2006HCH). While I recently have heard brake squealing I did not hear before, I examined the pads and they are well within tolerance.

When the outside air is cooler the combustion is aided by adding more fuel. Most Internal combustion engines operate in this way especially when the temperature is too cold to give the fuel mixture the right ignition point.

In our HCH's the process is very similar and the cooler the temps the longer the vehicle's engine will run with a rich mixture (more fuel, also called closed loop operation). So then, until the engine is warm enough the car will be operating at its least efficient mode and hence the lower MPG's.
    Some folks (like myself) go as far as covering the front grille so that the engine not only has a chance of warming up faster but also to remain warm while in motion. Many of us do this in addition to operating the block heater.

I have yet to read any info regarding the projected brake pad life for any car. This is because driving regimes & habits are the primary determining factor here. Like I said before, for many of us hybrid owners the brake pads will last the life of the car. For others, the brake pads may wear almost as fast as they would in a regular car. Again, the driving regimen & attitude (mountain driving as well as frequent aggressive stops) has much to do with the shorter pad life.

Cheers;

MSantos

You also forget that cold

You also forget that cold dramatically affects the efficiency and power output of the batteries, which may never achieve a full charge from the gas engine in winter, hence using the engine almost exclusively in winter.

I hope that engineers can

I hope that engineers can work out this battery life problem for cold weather. Especially if the US is going to grow the all electric car market. I guess I'll settle on my next car being a hybrid. Does anyone have a feeling for if fuel cells would be negatively impacted the same way? Food for thought.

I tend not to comment,

I tend not to comment, however I read a few of the comments on | Hybrid Cars.

I actually do have some questions for you if you don't mind. Is it just me or does it seem like a few of these remarks look like they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at additional online social sites, I'd like to follow you. Would you list of all of all your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?