+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrids = Scam

childudo67, if you are not

childudo67, if you are not getting over 41mpg on your new Civic Hybrid, something must be wrong. Are you driving like a maniac? Hard accelerating and hard braking will get you significantly worse mileage. But short of this, you may want to get the car looked at. Are your tires properly inflated? Have you been watching the real time mpg gauge? Can you notice when the motor is kicking in and when the battery is recharging? Are you driving to maximize use of the battery and motor? Driving a hybrid is a skill...you can and will get better at getting good mileage if you read the gauges and learn to maximize the recharge/motor cycle as you go up and down hills and start and stop in traffic.

You should be able to get much better mileage than you are getting!

I bought a used 2003 Civic Hybrid. It does not have the original tires, and it has 59K miles on it...and yet I've been averaging 44-45mpg. Some trips on the highway I've even gotten as high as 57. I get the highest mileage on the highway, when it's slightly hilly. I've never gotten below 35, but that was in stop-and-go traffic when my tires were not properly inflated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

What scam!! I got 52.6 mpg

What scam!!

I got 52.6 mpg today on my round trip to and from work.

Hi there, I have had my new

Hi there,

I have had my new 08 civic hybrid for 3 weeks and have 1900 KM on it. The dealership insisted on questioning that the MPG (60 and 66) were very accurate. I expected a little discrepancy but I have been seeing averages closer to 38. Not nearly enough in my opinion. Definitely better than the truck I traded in but not what I was sold. The dealership has told me there is a breaking in period for the engine that can last as long as the first service, 8,000 KM. Has anyone else experienced lower mileage followed by a better showing after the first service?

Kim

I own a 2006 Honda Civiic

I own a 2006 Honda Civiic Hybrid. Before first service MPG average was 47. After service it was 49MPG (+). Lifetime MPG is 49.05. First service is important, BUT driving style techniques are more important.

Hi Kim: The figure of 60 and

Hi Kim:

The figure of 60 and 66 MPG is accurate IF you are talking "imperial gallons". What we use around here is "US MPG" not "UK MPG" which sadly, some in the Canadian auto business still insist on using.
    When you set the car to display in Miles Per gallon, what you see displayed is US MPG.

38 MPG is not too bad, but there is still MUCH room for improvement. The break-in period is real but it is not that big a factor as many folks claim. By far, the most significant part of the break-in process is the Owner's Break-in. By the way, how's that one going?

If you need assistance in learning and making the most out of your car please feel free to ask. In the meantime you may want to read the HCH-II bible:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Cheers;

MSantos

" On normal streets she will

" On normal streets she will blow me away. "

Could you define what "she will blow me away" means? Like the 8mpg the epa states is the difference or is it more than that?

I drive mainly city, hilly with a good deal of stopping. Rented the prius for a weekend but found it very uncomfortable (loved everything else about it though)

Looking for a little more comfort and maybe an understated outward appearance. I have been looking around but haven't found enough info on the city difference in real numbers between the two (I'm probably not looking in the right place)

Appreciate your input and experiences.

Deeee; The Prius was

Deeee;

The Prius was designed with a different architecture that lends itself well to a lot of stop-and-go and mostly urban drving. Let us just say that for small periods of stop-and-go traffic the Prius is the superior vehicle in the hands of most drivers. How much is that superiority worth? well, it depends on the severity and duration of the stop-and-go. After a while even the Prius suffers. 8 MPG is the average difference. Some people will get better than 8 MPG, others a little less.

Cheers;

MSantos

I OWN A 08 HCH AND USE

I OWN A 08 HCH AND USE BETWEEN 4.4 - 4.6 LITRES PER 100 KM FOR HIWAY DRIVING AT SPEEDS OF 100 - 110 KMPH IN HILLY COUNTRY. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE ECONOMY. I DID NOTICE THE ECONOMY IMPROVED AS THE MOTOR WAS RUN IN AND I GAINED EXPERIENCE WITH THE CAR. SO FAR LOVE IT. ANDEE.

MSantos, Thank you for your

MSantos,

Thank you for your reply.. I appreciate ALL information I can get in helping me truly pick the best vehicle for me. This information source is invaluable because neither car is currently availble "NOW" to drive to see with my own eyes.

When I had the Prius for the weekend I noticed it'd shut down at a light and I could go a decent while on just battery - just like in parking lots, etc.. When people have been talking about the HCH, I see strict wording like "it shuts off at lights" but no mention of milking battery only mode while moving.. does the Honda do the same thing (where you can drive in "stealth" mode for a bit?) or is it truly just shutting down when it is at a dead stop?

Also, my wife and I loved the almost video game screen on the Prius, watching our mpg the whole weekend. (I avereaged 46mpg for the weekend, not bad for a first-timer) but have seen in pictures and read that the '08 Civic Hybrid has a "XX MPG" and little bar in with the tach and that's about it... I was wondering if there is any other source of mpg readout with other packages (navigation, sirius or whatever that uses a screen)?

I'm sorry to be bumping a thread with such a negative title, but when I initially saw the direct comparison in city driving I figured if there was a more perfect time for me to jump in, I haven't seen it. Thank you again, I sincerely appreciate all information - I am so anxiously looking forward to becoming better in my fuel savings and environmental deeds (recovering v8 suv owner) and I do apologize for that. Thank you again!

Deeee: The Prius

Deeee:

The Prius architecture is defined as a "full hybrid" while the HCH-II architecture is defined as a "power assist hybrid". (Some folks call the HCH-II a "mild hybrid" but that is totally incorrect, both functionally and architecturally)

To keep it simple:
    The main implication of this design is that the Prius was built as an electric car that is assisted by the gas engine. The HCH-II in the other hand is a car that was built as a gas powered car that is assisted by electricity.

This pretty much explains why you can operate the Prius on electric only for short distances and in very mild acceleration. And that is why the Prius is better for heavier city driving.
    Under all driving scenarios both cars are pretty much even with a slight edge for the Prius of 1-2 MPG better than the HCH-II in combined driving as seen in many online databases (i.e: GreenHybrid mileage database). On the highway both cars are pretty much even with a slight edge for the HCH-2 when driven at certain highway speeds.

The Prius MFD display is very informative but still lacks a lot of information and that is why many Prius hypermilers end-up getting a Scangauge to get great MPG numbers on the Prius.
    Despite looking a little minimalistic, the instrumentation on the HCH is very effective and complete which in the eyes of many is elegant and somewhat "safer" because it is more driver centric? Anyhow, the HCH has a little more instrumentation than just a little bar.

Either way, you cannot go wrong with either car.

Cheers;

MSantos