+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrids = Scam

Almost four weeks in and I

Almost four weeks in and I have been very pleased with the overall experience with my HCHII.

The first three tanks of city driving averages were, 42.5, 44.2, 43.9 mpg. One road trip with 70 mile of city at 48 mpg.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

We are quite happy with our

We are quite happy with our 2008 Honda Hybrid. We now leave two big V-8's in the garage that would get 120 miles a day just to work. Our total gas bill was fast approaching $1000 a month. Now we commute in our new Honda during the week to the same work location and have the added incentive of getting a HOV plate for our new Honda. The HOV plate was a huge incentive to by the Honda but the gas savings is also huge. When we got 470 miles on our first tank of gas with 2 gallons left we were quite happy. It worked out to be 47 miles per gallon and when we fill up it's just over a 1/3 of what we paid before. The Suburban and my new 2500 3/4 ton Chevy only get work after we get home with the kids and trips. The $600 per month we saved on gas paid for the car.

I agree with the poster on

I agree with the poster on hybrids being bad, maybe the CRX has a worse crash rating but let's say both of the drivers are in an accident, at least in the CRX you won't have battery acid all over your self. And another person talked about the CRX being inefficient. Take a physical chemistry course and learn a bit about friction and all the inefficiencies of engines even though a gas engine is only 19% efficient or so electric motors are worse! So is hybrid our fuel saving answer...NO, Flex fuel...maybe. Better for the environment as alcohol only expells h20 and co2 as it is burned so alcohol gets my vote but tell those guys in detroit this while 99% of the cars they build are not able to internally withstand alcohol, ethanol, etc. in concentrated amounts i.e. 15% or greater concentration. Switching to an alternative fuel, whatever that be, is the way for the future, not an inefficient hybrid. The only people that hybrids appeal to is someone who is uneducated enough to buy into the short term benefits these companies claim before they speak of replacing the batteries, the danger, the inefficiency of it all, or all of the other porblems. So don't flame on the poster because he does have a point!

Electric motors are

Electric motors are inefficient? Hmm.... are you sure? Like 5% inefficient?

Gasoline engines only 19% efficient? are you sure?

Burning ethanol a good idea? are you sure? It has half of the energy of petroleum 40mpg car gets 20mpg with ethanol. What about the energy and water needed to grow the crops? What about the "porblem" of burning food when people are going hungry?

Battery acid in NiMH?

Why are you posting on a website called hybridcars.com if you hate hybrids?

uktiger: There's too much

uktiger:

There's too much inflammatory nonsense in 'Mike3218478123' post. We've been dealing with posts like his for the better part of the last 7-9 years or so and no amount of data can silence these people. You even managed to pick on the lines they typically use and how wrong and ill informed they are. It is so embarrassing that it is hard to believe these people still exist. Oh, well.

The good thing though, is that things have changed a whole lot and there's a lot less trollers like him today than what we had years ago. So all in all, it is a good thing that the few that remain still drop by just to remind us that our work is not done.

Cheers;

MSantos

The Title posting is a

The Title posting is a great example of both the beauty & the beast of forums...
    Please don't read these negative or positve posting for absolute fact. Some opinions are weighted due to allegiances to brands (in this case)other than Honda. They are posting negatives about one brand while driving or even selling another. The Honda Civic Hybrid is not a SCAM. In the sense of technology, it uses both gasoline & electric forms of engery earning the title "Hybrid".
    Test drive the car your thinking about purchasing and do your research - people who drive local only might not be a great candidate at this time (wait for the plug-ins) for a Hybrid vehicle. Road warriors can definitely benefit from today's Hybrid technology.
    I'm driving and absolutely love my 08 Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH). With my profession, i drive 60,000 miles per year and have noticed a very pleasant increase in gas milage. My previous vehicle got 21 mpg. I'm averaging 44.6 over the life of my HCH.

I agree, the original poster of the thread should run and trade his vehicle.

You are spot on. PEOPLE - DO

You are spot on. PEOPLE - DO YOUR RESEARCH - I drive 90 miles a day to commute to work (45 miles each way) and I absolutely love my '08 HCH. I've had it for three weeks now and have filled up only three time. First time, the gas computer said I got 41 mpg but when calculated it was 43mpg. The next fill-up it said 42.5 mpg but calculated came out to 44mpg. Tuesday it said 43.4 mpg but calculated to an even 45 mpg. It's saturday now and when I pulled into my driveway last night the computer was at 46.0 mpg, I had 290 miles on the trip and a half of a tank still left.
    People who want to get a Hybrid need to research both the commute they usually make, and the type of hybrid they are going to get. If you are on the highway a lot, I recommend the HCH or the prius (which my wife owns). If you only commute locally and want the best mpg's, go with a Prius. On the highway, my wife and I are getting similar mpgs (she is still better but I don't care because I love the look of my HCH). On normal streets she will blow me away. PEOPLE - DO YOUR RESEARCH and you will be happy with your purchase.
    P.S. I live in New York and also have NY CleanPass stickers so I can use the HOV lane on the L.I.E. when I commute. I got the sticker a week and a half after I purchased the car so you can see that traffic is also a huge factor in mpgs.

as much as I know hybrids

as much as I know hybrids [and automobiles] will progress with time... i feel sort of scammed by the preferred HYBRID parking. I own two cars, a 1990 crx dx and a 2003 gti. Both get excellent gas mileage [38 avg / 28 avg respectively]. I noticed that there are plenty of hybrid vehicles that get worse mileage. Shouldn't preferred parking go to vehicles that PERFORM well rather than have specified equipment that is supposed to make them superior?

I see the arguments with efficiency and safety equipment, but that is comparing apples to oranges. You can't compare an old car and it's efficiency [weight to power to mpg] and safety as that has progressed over time [try comparing a split system mechanical unit made in 1981 to one made in 2005... no comparison as technology has improved]. One thing you can compare is performance [in MPG terms]. Neither of my cars may perform as well as the honda civic or toyota prius, but my CRX out does every other hybrid and my GTI out does a good portion of them. I keep both of my cars in great working order so they are not "polluting" the environment any more than they should.

just a thought.

I agree that the CRX and the

I agree that the CRX and the Golf GTI were the best of breed in the early 90's. Back then these two cars were not only the standard bearers for pocket rocket performance but they also had very good fuel efficiency.

However, times have changed. Safety compliance and survivability play an important role no manufacturer car afford to overlook. And one last detail: Emissions !!!

Yes, the new HCH and Prius are rated as AT-PZEV (Tier-2/Bin-2) which is much, much cleaner than many of todays (LEV, ULEV) vehicles, and those newer vehicles in turn are much cleaner than those awesome and well maintained cars of the 90's. Look it up and you'll see what I mean.
    I understand your point but the privileges bestowed on cleaner running hybrid vehicles are neither an accident nor a mistake.

Cheers;

MSantos

I agree that my 1990 crx +

I agree that my 1990 crx + 2003 gti are not cleaner than new cars, but that's comparing apples to oranges. They didn't have the technology in 1990 or 2003 that they do now.

I did find it interesting though. The CRX has a carbon footprint of 6.3 and the 2008 HCH has a carbon footprint of 4.4 and the 2008 camry H has a carbon footprint of 5.4. That really isn't miles away when you compare to alot of the other cars on the road.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the air pollution numbers because there are no readily available numbers for the 1990 Honda CRX. The carbon footprint numbers probably indicate the air pollution numbers will be fairly low. I remember the last time I got my emissions inspection, the tailpipe was putting out a ridiculously low number for CO2 [but of course that is limited to vehicles from 1990].

Although the VW is much more fun to drive than any Honda I have ever driven [and that includes my boss's HCH], Honda has it's head on straight when it comes to cleanliness and fuel economy... even back in 1990.