+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrids = Scam

MSantos... I have not logged

MSantos... I have not logged in for a couple of months... I had my 06 HCH at the Dealership for 3 days in Jan-Feb, and they ran tests on it, and finally found that the problem is that the wheel bearings were shot (15, 000 kms). That was supposed to be the main cause of my low MPG's. The bearings were replaced... and it made absolutely no difference in the car's performance. It took a techn ician from Toronto to come to Niagara Falls to learn that the bearings were shot! I am still averaging 30-32 and less MPG's combo highway and city. City only is 22 mpg's. Over the past several months, I have changed my driving habits immensely, driving only by the guages, staying within speed limits, etc... and nothing has changed for me. I am really at a loss. My Accord could get 45 MPG's Highway and 38-40 combo. No one at Honda Canada returns my calls, or seem to know too much about the Hybrid. Its been a real fiasco.

My dealer, in consultation with the Toronto office, wants to give me $2000.00 toward an '08 Accord, as a compensation for the inconvenience and aggravation the past 2 years! This is after 4 months of waiting to hear from them!!! I have been a Honda driver for over 20 years.... I have visited several other dealerships the past two weeks, and their offers beat out Honda by a long-shot. I can walk away with an '09 Camry for a cheaper price than an '08 Accord!!! Thanks for your patience. I'm really at a loss. I want to stay Hybrid... but what can I do? MSantos.

edit reply

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Gman1964: Go with your

Gman1964:

Go with your instincts. In your case, selling the Civic Hybrid is not a bad option at all. Right now these cars have a good resale value and given the poor dealer support you got, I would suggest you go with the Camry instead.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hi MSantos Since my last

Hi MSantos

Since my last posting I have had my 06 HCH at the dealer 2 times. I have had a loaner car for 6 days. There is still absolutely no one who can pin-point why my gas mileage is 25-32 mpg's. Having had the wheel bearings replaced, and software updates, that was supposed to be the end of the problems. I am still at a loss. The temperature here is 65 so the cold is really not a factor.

Last week was the straw that broke the camel's back. I was merging onto a major highway, when the 06HCH died... all lights on the dash illuminated, the steering stiffened, brakes tightened. Dead Car. I was almost rear-ended by another car. I placed the car in park, and started it again. I made it home safe, and called the dealer, and once again, called Honda Canada! Well they had the car for 5 days. Here's their findings:

1. The ignition KEY is to blame! Apparently the computer chip in the key is not communicating with all the electronic components in the car. That's why the key gets stuck in the ignition occasionally and won't turn. That's why the "auto-off" rarely engages at red lights and stop signs!

2. They also found a series of loose ground wires, which could have caused the problems.

I trust this is going to solve everything. Each time I go to the dealer, there is a new finding. All the findings "may have" caused the problems. There are no clear-cut answers. I'm really at a loss.

I have registered several calls with Customer Relations at Honda Canada, and they have been the most obnoxious, self-righteous and arrogant people I have ever encountered on the telephone. If I were to listen to their "Honda-Perfectionism," I would believe that my HCH is the only HYbrid in North America that is experiencing any problems. Well, I feel so special! A real Honda Canada Martyr!

I really do not know what to expect next... my trust level of this HCH has diminished, and now I feel unsafe, unsure what will happen next! I have locked away the "bad-key" and as of last night, I am using the other key.

Any insights?

Gman

Gman: I am very saddened by

Gman:

I am very saddened by your feedback especially the one concerning Honda Canada Customer Relations folks. This is not acceptable behavior at all. Would you be able to provide me their names? If you are, please let me know and we'll find a way of emailing the names to me. Do not post them online and especially in this forum.

On the issues that they've encountered, namely the bad grounding and the "ignition key" issues: I am a little concerned that many of these issues might have been due to the questionable "work" performed on the vehicle after the sale. Although rare, this is not unheard of... and tying this to what you've been reporting over the last months it just helps reinforce this likelihood your dealer may help explain things a bit?

Gman, there have been in the neighborhood of 150,000 HCH-2's sold since September 2005 and to the best of my knowledge your case is not common at all. The Honda technical channel is usually pretty good at documenting and tracking these issues so if there were many cases like yours the issues would have been escalated accordingly and would be visible when searching.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hello, I have been reading

Hello,

I have been reading the issues on this forum and am very perplexed and a little scared. I am hoping you guys can help me. I currently own a 2005 Honda CRV-EX which I like but am ready to move in to a more luxury vehicle. Since I just moved to Colorado and have a longer drive to work I am looking at a hybrid. Granted I have never owned a hybrid before however with gas prices the way they are I was looking at the Lexus hybrid RX or the Toyota Highlander Hybrid (I would like to stick to an SUV). Now here are my questions:

1) Is this really going to save me on gas mileage or is it a SCAM like it says in the posts above?

2) What are the issues with not going over 60mph and not accelerating quickly?

3) If there are issues in cold weather does it make sense to have one in Colorado?

4) The cost increase for a hybrid over other vehicles can be alot, if the gas mileage does not balance out the savings, what are the other benefits of owning a hybrid? Is it better to lease?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you prefer an SUV then

If you prefer an SUV then the Lexus or Highlander are proven vehicles. Not the most efficient by any margin but still better than their gas-only counterparts.

Now the real question is: Why do you want a hybrid ?

Meanwhile, I'll answer your questions below:

1- A highly fuel efficient hybrid (Prius and Civic Hybrid) has a great fuel savings potential to the majority of owners. Most other hybrids are not as capable. Now for some people, even these fuel efficient hybrids do not work... simply because these folks expect the car to do all the work by just turning the key and driving off. These people will likely call hybrids a scam because they will obviously not get the advertised mileage. There's is learning involved as well as a change in driving attitude. If your goal is not to pollute less and as a result use less fuel and save more money then a hybrid is not the best choice for you... unless of course, you want to be one of those screaming "scam" sometime later.

2- Hybrids reveal the chronic bad habits that afflict our fuel hungry society. Their instrumentation and sensitivity to bad driving habits make them ill suited for aggressive driving especially for drivers who don't see their bad habits as the problem. Speeds over 60 MPH become a challenge for any vehicle because it is matter of simple physics. Fast accelerations are just bad for any vehicle. Hybrids just show you how bad as other cars typically do not.

3- None. I have multiple hybrids in Central Canada where winters last 6+ months and temps dip as far as -40F and even lower.

4- I am personally biased against leasing for private use. Others may see otherwise. An SUV hybrid is likely never to pay-off for any practical lease period. Then, you have to really ponder the question above. If you are not willing to learn and make good use of the instrumentation most hybrids come with then it may just amount to a waste of your money.

Cheers

MSantos

I have been considering a

I have been considering a Hybrid Car for about a year. Having read some of the complaints and issues with the Honda Hybrids, I am getting scared away. Maybe the technology is too new, or the technicians are just not trained enough yet. I cannot believe the arrogance of Honda Canada, and their lack of care and concern for the customers.

I feel for those people who

I feel for those people who have been having legitimate problems with their Hybrids. I have 2 friends in Ontario who have been to Hell and back with Honda Canada over these Hybrids. The dealers are also drove crazy because the training programs are very limited, and they treat the cars like any regular Honda! Not so. I know of one dealer who used the wrong oil in a Hybrid and killed the MPGs very badly, almost damaging the car. Until Honda Canada trains its staff, and educates technicians, I would steer clear of Hybrid Cars altogether. I traded my 06 HCH after 11 months, because it was a disappoinment. I ended up with a Prius Hybrid and have been quite happy since!

I drive a Honda Civic

I drive a Honda Civic Hybrid, 2006 model and it is a beautiful ride, spacious, very aero-dynamic. I love the car, but the gas mileage has been very bad. During the winter months here in NY it has been 18-23 miles per gallon. Spring and Fall it is about 25-28... and rarely ever reaches 30 MPG's. I have had the car checked out and Honda's technicians did a road test: 60 mile highway distance, at 50 mph, no windows down, nothing turned on... and they informed me that the car was up to standards. I am not convinced. I am seeing another dealer next week, and the owner will drive the car himself, and determine the problem with the gas mileage. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read everything possible, and I am a very conservative driver. Still not convinced the car is functioning as it should.
    Mary

I am also completely

I am also completely satified with my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. I get 42 miles per gallon and with the new EPA ratings, that is what this car is suppose to get. All cars MPG were lowered in 2008. EPA was lying to everyone and over estimating ALL MPGS in all cars, not hybrids

goto http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm