+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrids = Scam

Hybrids = Scam

Three months as a new Civic hybrid and I am still very dissapointed. I've still only averaged a pitiful 38 to 41 mpg. Thank Goodness for the XM radio and Navi thats included or I'd been really pissed. It just makes think the whole "Hybrid" is a huge scam!

In the old days there was no such thing as a "hybrid" when there was the CRX HF, or the Civic VX, or the VW diesel Rabbit. They all got better gas mileage than my 2007 Civic Hybrid!

CASE IN POINT: My old 1990 CRX HF (averaged 51 mpg!) got better gas mileage than my brand new 07 Civic Hybrid. There is no other reason to believe the car companies are still holding back on MPG technology. "Hybrid" is another way to charge more money for a little badge on the back of the car!

How pathetic you all have been scammed like me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chiludo67 View Post
    CASE IN POINT: My old 1990 CRX HF (averaged 51 mpg!) got better gas mileage than my brand new 07 Civic Hybrid. There is no other reason to believe the car companies are still holding back on MPG technology. "Hybrid" is another way to charge more money for a little badge on the back of the car!

Bad "case in point":

a 1990 CRX HF is a two seater vehicle with a poor safety rating. No airbags and no significant side impact protection. Much less equipment, MUCH higher pollution scores (LEV and even lower rating in some cases). These are just some the reasons why this is a senseless comparison.

Like I said in the other post, many of us will definitely disagree with you. I enjoy my hybrids and enjoy teaching new drivers how to appreciate these cars not only for their own personal benefit but also for the benefit of us all.

Take care;

MSantos

Apples to Oranges

The CRX HF is a two-door car that weighs 1,800 lbs. and has 70 hp.

The latest Civic Hybrid is a four-door that weighs 2,900 lbs. and has 110 hp.

The Civic has airbags, impact beams and loads of other safety equipment that the CRX doesn't.

The Civic also has automatic climate control, cruise control, steering wheel mounted radio controls and several other luxury features that the CRX doesn't.

If you think the CRX is better than the Civic, you should buy one. Here are some for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=1&cardist=31

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1067

Quote Originally Posted by 1stpik View Post
    The CRX HF is a two-door car that weighs 1,800 lbs. and has 70 hp.

The latest Civic Hybrid is a four-door that weighs 2,900 lbs. and has 110 hp.

The Civic has airbags, impact beams and loads of other safety equipment that the CRX doesn't.

The Civic also has automatic climate control, cruise control, steering wheel mounted radio controls and several other luxury features that the CRX doesn't.
    The facts you list show the unfortunate state of progression... why did the civic have to gain all the weight and horsepower?? Yes, I know about safety, but it isn't a result of safety, as one can make a little car safe. The modern civic is a lot bigger, heavier, and faster at the cost of efficiency.

Agreed

Today's cars are much too heavy. I offered the size and weight comparison for reference to fuel efficiency.

An 1800 lb. car that gets 50 mpg is actually LESS efficient than a 2900 lb. car that gets the same mpg. Factor in comfort and safety, and the choice is obvious.

In the case of the Civic Hybrid, the electric propulsion system weighs an extra 300 lbs. Honda saves a little weight by using some aluminum body components on the Hybrid.

Additionally, the airbags, side impact beams, frame braces and crumple zones all add weight vs. the technology of the late 1980s.

That said, it's clear that today's Civic is the size of the 1980s Accord. Today's Accord is the size of the 1980s Abrams Tank. I don't like it any more than you, but I can't change it.

Before I bought the HCH, I tried the Honda Fit, but I just didn't 'fit' in it. No one over 5' 10" would be comfortable in it. Plus, the interior looked and felt too cheap to justify the price. So I forked over 21 grand for the nicer Civic, and I enjoy superior mileage as a bonus.

I am enjoying my 2007 HCH and it is performing very well. I'd love to ride as a passenger with you sometime and examine your maintenance records.

I'm an 06 HCH owner and I feel totally scammed also. Terrible gas mileage, terrible service. Incompetent technicians, poorly trained. Getting ready to leave Honda altogether and maybe even try something domestic for a change. I feel like I've been screwed... and never got to enjoy it.

What records?????

I'm talking about mpg! Of course the CRX HF didn't have airbags! It's a 20 yr old car, but it got better mph than my today's high tech Civic hybrid. That's not the point.

I have under 3000 miles on my Civic Hydrid and I'm struggling to average above 40 mph despite the price sticker of 50 mph. Unless you drive like a grandma, tailgate 18-wheelers and cruise in neutral you WILL NOT get 50 mph on this car; regardless what paid hyperposters are telling you on this site.

Look, hybrids on the market now are SCAMS. Old non-hybrids got better gas milegae than these scams out today. Newbies ought to wait until the 2009 plug-in hybrids and/or Chevy Volt comes out. Within 8 years hybrids will go the way of the SUV. I can't wait then I'll turn my 07 scam in for one of those 80+ mpg babies.

Look, hybrids on the market now are SCAMS. Old non-hybrids got better gas milegae than these scams out today. Newbies ought to wait until the 2009 plug-in hybrids and/or Chevy Volt comes out. Within 8 years hybrids will go the way of the SUV. I can't wait then I'll turn my 07 scam in for one of those 80+ mpg babies.
    It is perfectly OK if you feel that way.

By the way, I really think you were scammed !!! A hybrid is not for you. Really!

But, knowing what the "Chevy Volt" is (a paper product of typical GM-ware value), I regret looking forward to seeing you getting scammed once again on that one as well. But then again, you may not even get scammed at all if GM pulls "another GM" on that product... as in: It may never come out, and if it does it is too late.

Anyway, Please sell your HCH. Please.

Passing the car over to someone else and getting your money back (with resale value that no GM car will ever give you), may be best for you now... and it will be good for the car too!!!

It is sad that it did not work for you and for a few other folks we encounter now and then. The positive side to all of this, is that you do not speak for the rest of us and I am certainly happy for that.

Merry Christmas;

MSantos

Nevermind what the true MPG you are getting out of your HCH. All I know is the fact that I now pay less than $30 week on gas on my HCH2, where I used to pay over $50 a week on 2003 Altima that I traded for my current HCH2. And I am completely satisfied with it...