+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Prius Experience

The Prius is horrible for the USA.

First of all the Batteries are not good because they are Nickel Metal and they cannot be recycled.

Second buying a foreign car puts nothing back into the USA no matter what people are saying “Built in the USA" its hogwash. Basically you are killing important jobs higher up.

Third the extra cost of this car will not even pay for the gas and future battery replacement.

Forth, if you keep your old car the old car its better. To produce a car has horrible impacts on the environment.

The Prius is basically a car for people who are really not practical people and it’s actually worse for the USA and worse for our environment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

New Hybrid vs Old Guzzler = Get New Hybrid

geisemann,

The topic of whether to buy a new, higher MPG car vs keep an older car was credibly addressed in the analysis at the link below. Is there a flaw here that I don't see?

http://www.triplepundit.com/pages/as...car-002538.php

In addition, Toyota says the following regarding the battery. I realize that there may be a credibility issue, but I think that it would be fairly risky for them to state so categorically if not some truth to it:

"Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery."

Finally, I don't disagree that there are economic factors that come into play with buying imports. However, when American car companies can match the quality, styling, and hybrid engineering of Toyota then I will seriously considering buying American. I sincerely hope that day is not far off. In the mean time, check every other purchase you make to see if it is made here at home. I doubt you will find many manufactured products that are made in the USA.

-ME

American Quality is better

The American car companies are now making cars much better. Toyota has had a string of recalls and the new tundra has horrible problems.

JD power listed the best cars in the world are Buick and Lexus that means everything else is worse.

So if you buy a Toyota it’s worse than a Buick.

Also I believe ford scored much higher on the fusion than any other car Toyota had.

So I don’t see why this car is being purchased and the reason is to show off. I saw a Prius owner getting pulled over on the highway because of speeding. IF the owner really cared about global warming why drive 80 mph. At that speed the hybrid drive is useless.

Also the prius does not work in hybrid with the AC running.

The neg impact of buying foreign, losing jobs here in the states not just manf but engineering, design and overall profits.

The impact of material waste.

At least GM is making a large vehicle get better mileage where it counts. If you buy a civic or focus you pay the same in gas as a prius and it costs less.

Putting Americans to work, allowing them to haul things with the same gas mileage of a Camry.

G

American Quality is better

The american car companies are now making cars much better. Toyota has had a string of recalls and the new tundra has horrable problems.

Also the article you listed is way off basis becasue most of us do not purchase hummers at 10 mpg. Also it not stating the evo inpact of the materals in the new car.

JD power listed the best cars in the world are Buick and Lexus that means everthing else is worse.

So if you buy a toyota its worse than a buick.

Also I belive ford scored much higher on the fusion than any other car toyota had.

So I dont see why this car is being purchased and the reason is to show off. I saw a Prius owner getting pulled over on the highway because of speeding. IF the owner really cared about global warming why drive 80 mph. At that speed the hybrid drive is useless.

Also the prius does not work in hybrid with the AC running.

The neg impact of buying foreigh, losing jobs here in the states not just manf but engineering, design and overall profits.

The impact of material waste.

At least GM is making a large vehicle get better millage where it counts. If you buy a civic or focus you pay the same in gas as a prius and it costs less.

Putting Americans to work, allowing them to haul things with the same gas millage of a camery.

G

geisemann:

I'm sorry, but you spew the most blatantly inaccurate stuff I've seen in this board for a VERY long time. Even though responding to each and every of your falsehoods would be extremely easy, I suspect it is a waste of anyone's intelligence to do so. What a waste.

If anything, I can't help but to feel embarrassed for you.

Take care, learn a little more, and grow up.

MSantos

Toyota Sniping

Whether I agree with it or not, I respect everyone and their opinion for every forum I go to. What I don't respect is anyone who's sole purpose is to snipe a forum. People that do this only create an account to try and do as much damage as possible. Often they provide false, outdated, or misrepresented information. Usually the sniper repeats their same "chant" in a similar shape and form as to the previous ones. These people provide no replies or weak replies that lack any kind of real discussion.

Google geisemann and check other forums. There is certainly a pattern. Just like the businesses that thread a forum only to advertise a product, the best thing to do is to ignore this user.

yea I google'd the name when i saw this post. lots of hits in forums.

ITs Fact

The Prius is a total PR event they keep it in the same showroom as the V8 gas guzzlers.

At least GM is making a 2 mode hybrid for there trucks and in that size range it makes much more logic to have a hybrid .

The lower the gas millage and weight the more logic a hybrid makes. To go from 30 to 40 is not really anything on paper.

To go from 15-20 is huge.

Toyota is researching how light they can make their cars so they can bet better millage.

This is so we can suffer and kill more people for there image.

I ran the numbers to buy a Toyota Prius you have to waste so much in producing it that you destroy the environment. There was a research project that came out stating the impacts of keeping your old car vs a new car.

Keeping your old car is MUCH better for the environment unless you drive a hummer. Most of us are not.

Also it saves you aprox 2k in gas over 10-20 years but the battery pack cost you 3k in 8 years to replace.

So basically not only is the Toyota Prius a total waste of money. Its bad for the environment, bad for the us economy and its totally unsafe in crash tests.

Trust me I rather be in a GM than a toyota anyday. I was just in a large auto accident and took the back right off a toyota.

Toyota cars are totally unsafe.

People get with it one day in the emergency room is not going to pay for the savings in gas.

When I see people buying foreign Toyotas and Prius I think how stupid they can really be?

Just to be in style?

Oh brother. I owned a Monza, Olds 98 and Camaro...junk, pure junk with constant problems. When GM gives me a 100,000 mile warranty on anything and everything besides wipers, tires and filters I may consider them again but I wouldn't buy a American made piece of junk until we corrected the problems. Oh and I get a loaner nicer than my vehicle while my car is in the shop. Speaking of the shop, GM should have 24 hour service centers and not the M-F 7-6 pm stuff because of the horrible reliability. The slight variance in one more production stage of the hybrid electric battery is nothing compared to the emissions of an insecurity vehicle like the Hummer or Suburban. Toyota just built a new plant in Texas where they make Tundras creating hundreds of jobs. I think every GM executive needs to come down here and work on the assembly line for minimum wage since they are incapable of anything else. GM volt? Maybe you could explain how many more coal plants or nuclear reactors we would have to build to supply more electricity for say the 1,000,000 people that buy the volt?
    TXatheist
    md457@hotmail.com

American junk what about jap junk

I have owned many cars in my time. Most of the Japanese cars fell apart had major melt downs.

Some of the cars I have owned in my life time.

I owned a ford taurus 250k miles. Orginal engine orginal transmission

Ford explorer 202k still running orginal everthing

Parents own cadillac seville over 10 years 104k old no problems at all

I owned a 1978 cadillac seville over 300 k miles orginal engine rebuld trans at 220 k.

Toyota Crpola! Engine over heated! blue one valve, at 89k Blue the trans at 100k, body rusted. ( WOW so great!!)

Toyota Supera Cam shaft failled, struts failled hoses burst at around 98k

Mercadies S500 ( You dont want to know what failed. What didnt)

Volkswagon ( Total disaster)

GO GM! with the volt. I will save the enviroment with out de-facting my country. I will wait the volt. OR I can waint in a toyota dealler to look at a tundra right next to a prius. At least at GM the trucks have 2 mode hybrid that is 40% more efficient than toyota.

I am so tired of Anti American Prius people, they make up this american junk crap and to be honest its so wrong. Buick is not making cars better than lexus. The Prius is the BIGGEST PR stunt in history. Its about as hi-tech as a 1908 detroit electric that could do 40 miles on a charge without any gas.

They make me so sick. Wasting American Money and people wonder why our country is heading towards a ressision. Maybe because the idiots in CA by all foreign products.

At least there is apple and microsoft out there holding there own. IF people in CA could buy Foreign software they would do it!

G