+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Jenna, I don't think the

Jenna, I don't think the climb by itself may have been what happened here. Sometimes, road rubble can be kicked up (rocks and such) and if you are unlucky, and the chunk is big enough, you can end up with something cracked. The unfortunate think is you can go on driving for months or years before a hard failure alerts you that something is wrong. No question the steep climb taxes the system, but by itself, this wound not explain the crack. At 320, we can be sure some damage was done to MG2 and you most likely have a failure that requires the replacement. That being said, often transaxles can be had for less than half that price from a scrap yard. Get a few opinions from other servicers as to what they may charge for a used one. Sometimes dealers exclude that option, and other car shops think Prius owners are full of cash! Still, if you find the right shop, I would expect you may see that number cut in half.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

(Quick clarification, I am

(Quick clarification, I am "John R." above, sorry, was at work without my password.)

Regarding the "torque damper" I talked about above, I have only heard about one failure, so I don't think it is a weak design, was only speculating on the slippage issue.

As for hills, I am often up in the Jim Thorpe area of PA, with its long steep inclined hills. My Prius does well on them, but it is easy to jump into the secondary program where the engine is kicked to a much higher RPM. Since there is no direct connection between the engine and the wheels due to the influence of MG1, one might also perceive slippage. Although it does not "feel" natural, any MG1/MG2 speed error would pop an error code.

Regarding the "crack", did they actually find one? If the case is not cracked, you may just have a bad MG2 winding. Not too common, but the motor can fry itself, and usually will not set a code until it shorts to the frame. This usually sets a error code like P3009, P3120, or P3125. (more common on the Generation 1 Prius, you have a Gen 2.) MG2 goes for about $1100 plus install.

I have a '06 Prius with 220K

I have a '06 Prius with 220K original engine and no transmission problems up until now. I drive the car very hard using the braking functions frequently even at high highway speeds (80+) I didn't have to replace the brakes until 195K. I accelerate hard and drive hills (some very steep grade) with no problems. However just recently I seem to experiencing some slight slippage when I use engine braking function going down long grades and my avg mpg has dropped by 4-5mpg. John R/D you seem to be knowledgable. I would rather address the problem if possible before something major happens however I am leery of opening a proverbial can of worms. Do you have a troubleshooting list in order of what you would recommend being checked? I can also be reached at qablooie@gmail Thanks in advance for any help!

I bought a new 2005 Prius 8

I bought a new 2005 Prius 8 years ago. It has given me little trouble until about 2 months ago, when the mileage was about 80,000. At that time, I had to have it towed to Toyatech, which diagnosed the red triangle warning as indicating a failure of the 12V battery. I went on my merry way with a new one. Just two days ago, the red triangle lit up again. I had arrived at the mall, so I parked and went inside. When I exited several hours later, the car would not go into drive or reverse. Just heard from Toyatech that it has a voltage leak and will require a transmission replacement. We will use a used one, to keep the cost in the low $3000 range. Any advice?

By the way, I too have experienced a bit of slippage on the interstate--engine revving, but no accompanying acceleration! It was noticeable enough that it scared me, but it has happened no more than three or four times, and has not been so severe as to make me unsafe in traffic---yet.

Toyatech says the transmission is not under warranty in my state--Georgia.

(Re 06) Calling it a

(Re 06) Calling it a transmission may be giving it too much credit. It is actually a planetary gear. To transfer torque, MG1 is put into heavy generation, while the power gets delivered to MG2 which adds it back to the wheels. Between the two is the traction battery. Although not actively charging or discharging, it keeps the voltage at the inverter stable. A weak traction battery (HV, the big one) can disrupt this process. A drop in MPG can also indicate this. Do you find that the charge indicator moves faster then it use to?

(Re 05) I would get several opinions on that transaxle. Although burnt windings in MG2 (inside it) showed up in Gen1 as leakage, I would want to eliminate any cheaper possibilities first. Have you noticed that the motor noise and regenerative breaking noise is louder recently? This would be a reason to suspect MG2. If it is gone, there are some mechanics that now do a rebuild and only replace the defective motor as compared to the whole transaxle (transmission.)

Sorry, once again posted

Sorry, once again posted that last one from work. A quick clarification on the 05 problem: Generation One Prii had some problems with shorted MG2 motors. Not many reports of Generation Two (which yours is) having that problem, but it can happen. $3000 is about the going rate for a used transaxle if that is what the problem is. Leakage that trips a warning can happen in the transaxle, in the inverter, in the cable under the car (if you bottom out the right way) or at the battery. You really want to get some assurance that they know for sure that your transaxle is what is doing it, since it sounds like they already tried once and missed it. Often, bad motors will also trip a high-temp warning as well when they are going bad. For reference, the HV leak code is P3009. Bad motors will often set a P3120 instead. Hope this helps.

Hi Deborah! I have the same

Hi Deborah!
    I have the same issue with my 2001 Toyota, they are saying i have to replace transmission and it will cost me 4000 dollars, i took it to Ventura Toyota dealer. How did it go for you and your babe? I really do not want to give up on my toyota as it has been really good. I kept all services up to the date. But this 4000 dollars transmission thing just killing me.

I own a 2001 Prius. I

I own a 2001 Prius. I started having warning lights ,brought it to a dealer ,they indicated transmission problem ,it has to be changed the cost is about 4000 dollars. I bought this car for 6000 a year ago.Well maintained and taken care of. Now wondering if its not transmission, or if transmission is fixed next thing will be battery dies and mechanic said to change the battery is 5000 dollars. I really love my prius ,it served really well for a year. I am in kind a in conflict now what to do. Is it possible to sell Prius as is ? Anyone's experience who is on low budget on that matter would help. Thanks

I own a 2001 Prius. I

I own a 2001 Prius. I started having warning lights ,brought it to a dealer ,they indicated transmission problem ,it has to be changed the cost is about 4000 dollars. I bought this car for 6000 a year ago.Well maintained and taken care of. Now wondering if its not transmission, or if transmission is fixed next thing will be battery dies and mechanic said to change the battery is 5000 dollars. I really love my prius ,it served really well for a year. I am in kind a in conflict now what to do. Is it possible to sell Prius as is ? Anyone's experience who is on low budget on that matter would help. Thanks

natalia, If they are reading

natalia,
    If they are reading a P3120 code with an information tag of 250, than your generation one Prius probably does have a shorted MG2 in the transaxle (transmission.) Some service centers are replacing just the motor for about $2500. $4000 seams high. As for the battery, if it is an 11 year old car with the original battery, your concerns are valid. There are several options ranging from buying new cells and doing your own rebuild ($1400), Buying a rebuilt battery and having it installed ($1800 plus labor) to having a dealer do it (around $3800.) Again, 5000 seams high. Using the figures you were quoted, it is hard to justify putting $9000 into it, but by shopping around, you may be able to halve that price. Definitely worth spending a day on the computer and phone before spending anything. If the car is in great shape otherwise, changing the motor/transaxle and battery may be worth it at the right price.