+ Reply to Thread

Another Converter for Estimated Savings w/Honda Hybrid

There's another converter at www.fast-math.org in which you can instantly enter an estimated number of miles you drive in a year, fuel costs, and find out how much you can save per year with your hybrid vs a less fuel-efficient car. This is great for someone considering a new car. It is also useful for those considering diesels vs gasoline, even among big trucks, and if you already have a hybrid, you can run what-ifs, and after-the-fact comparisons.
    Have fun!
    - Jeff

BTW, I have an '07 Civic hybrid, and like it very much, although the mileage isn't quite as great as I might have hoped at 40.5mpg with careful driving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

One stumble: with metric, the fuel efficiency is usually expressed in:

liters per 100 kilometer

This calculator uses:

kilometers per liter

Still usable though, thanks for the link. Here's one I figured out for conversions between metric and imperial mileage:

To convert either way, between liter/100km and miles/gallon(US):

divide either figure into 236.5

Impressive Fuel Economy

Just got my HCH on Monday and read Tarabell's hypermiling techniques. Admittedly, I had trouble with them at first due to the very small degree to which you have to manipulate the throttle. Today, however, was a different story. I obtained an impressive 57.5 mpg on an 8.2 mile trip with through some small foothills near Santa Barbara. I know with more careful attention to traffic conditions I will be able to improve upon my first tank average of 40.2 mpg because that was with 129 miles of mid twenties from the dealership before I took delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by sbdrivingdotcom View Post
    Just got my HCH on Monday and read Tarabell's hypermiling techniques. Admittedly, I had trouble with them at first due to the very small degree to which you have to manipulate the throttle.

Congratulations!!

Glad to hear about your results. I am also happy that Tarabell's article did it for you as well.

It is very hard for some of us to admit that, in general, we are just BAD drivers. Quite often our arrogance and pride makes us believe that if we are getting a lower fuel it must be because the car is misbehaving or we are just victims of false advertising.

I was one of those folks who though I was a "good driver". Not an accident in 20+ years, did not speed and did not drive very aggressively. Boy was I ever wrong and stupid.

The reality is that it takes a little more than just driving a hybrid like the Civic or Prius to show us how "bad" we've actually been.

Nevertheless, you're in for a treat as the engine breaks-in , and especially if you understand and practice all the techniques Tarabell mentioned in her article on a regular basis. In no time you'll not only be a hypermiler but also a safer driver.

Cheers;

MSantos

After about a year i was

After about a year i was getting mid 40's MPG on my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. Then they changed the law which now allows up to 10% ethanol my average has dropped to around 40. Thank you State of Wisconsin!