+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Linda,

If you review the threads concerning driving habits it becomes obvious that much of the hype about higher mileage is incorrect. The reason that you get better mileage on the highway is that the Prius has too many technological compromises to deliver this promise. The electric motor is underpowered and the batteries inadequate to power the car for short distances. People subconsciously change driving habits to achieve the high mileage promised. Toyota should have built the car differently in the first place.

Jim K

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Chuck,

The Prius has too many compromises to obtain the promised economies without owners dramatically changing driving habits. Example, do you notice that the car cannot run strictly on the electric motor from a standing position? The electric motor is underpowered and the batteries inadequate. I purchased a 2006 and consistently get better mileage with highway driving. If the electric motor was more powerful this would not happen.

Jim K

Change in gas mileage

I own a 2007 Prius and prior to my recent 15000 mile checkup I was getting around 50 miles per gallon. After the checkup I am only getting about 36 mpg. I called the dealer and they told me this was normal gas mileage. I had owned a 2005 Prius and always got around 50 mpg. I also just moved to the city where the mileage is supposed to be 60mpg. Anyone else have this problem?

Several factors affect

Several factors affect mileage in the Prius. Short trips in town of less than 2 miles will give you lousy mileage. Slowly accelerating to speed is just as bad as a "jack-rabbit" start. Accelerate between moderate and lead-foot to get up to speed, trying to coast or slowly decellerate for the majority of the time between stop signs.
    Be aware that you will get lousier mileage in the winter than in the summer (the air has more density, and gives more wind resistance, when the temperature is below 55 degrees in most places-wind resistance is the biggest killer of mileage after low tire pressure)