+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poor gas milleage

I've 2007 Prius Touring edition, I tried in different way and always obtain the same results, 39 MPG. Only with Shell 93 I obtained 44 MPG. I visited Toyota services department and they don't take the car for service because they can't do nothing and that is normal on my car. The dealer that I visit is located in Broward County, FL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Some simple things

1) Inflate the rear tires to 40 psi and the front tires to 42 psi.
    2) Stick with regular gas. The Prius calibrates fuel mixture optimizations over time and changing octane hurts more than helps. The engine is optimized for regular.
    3) Check the oil level and make sure the oil is at or below the Full line. Very easy, but very important check.
    4) The first few tanks of gas are not going to give really good mileage since the engine is wearing in and the Engine Control Computer is slowly optimizing the engine mixtures.
    5) Check actual mileage at every fill up using the trip meter and the amount of gas filled. Need to see how far off the MFD is compared to actual data.
    6) Ensure that the battery vent at the back right elbow of the right rear passenger is not blocked.

Driving habits, too

In addition, driving habits will have a HUGE influence on MPG. I also have a 2007 Touring edition. I've praised this site up and down to my Prius driving friends and family. There is a section under the Gas Mileage tab that provides information to maximizing your mileage. Here's the link:

http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving...ota-prius.html

Also, browse some threads. Some suggestions from other users have been extremely helpful to my driving habits when I first started.

Good luck and enjoy.

Driving Technique is everything

Truly your driving technique is everything. jack rabbit starts and hard breaking will decrease your mileage considerably. check out our "club links" on the website below and you'll find some techniques to help.

keep at it, you'll get it as soon as you can understand the workings of the HSD.

http://clubofprii.org

Yea I read the gas saving page on this site. Awsome info. I dont yet have my hybrid yet but I'm test driving one today. That page has some awsome mpg techniques for hybrids and gas powered vehicles. I'm psyched about driving a prius today!!

Not to burst your bubble, but I drive my prius like it were an indy car. No gentle braking, easy on the accelerator, no coasting to the stop lights. And...I routinely get 50+ mpg, usually in the range of 50-53. And my daily commute is 20 miles, in both stop and go and highway traffic. Nothing special.

Try this, turn the fan on your climate controls down to it's lowest setting. Set the inside temp to 73-75deg. And see what you're mileage goes up to. I've been driving mine for almost 3 years, and have found the fan to be the single biggest factor in mpg in the summer. I'm still working on a strategy for winter, and am close to achieving 50+ as well. Oh, and inflate the tires to 40 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Towshar View Post
    In addition, driving habits will have a HUGE influence on MPG. I also have a 2007 Touring edition. I've praised this site up and down to my Prius driving friends and family. There is a section under the Gas Mileage tab that provides information to maximizing your mileage. Here's the link:

http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving...ota-prius.html

Also, browse some threads. Some suggestions from other users have been extremely helpful to my driving habits when I first started.

Good luck and enjoy.

gas mileage poor

I just about have 5000 miles on my 2007 prius. I'm only getting 35 in town and I'll get around 48 on the highway. Isn't it suppose to be the opposite?
    I've read the tips and tried them....no difference. I think toyota should give lessons on how to drive theses cars and they should stop advertising that the car gets 60 in town.

The EPA (not Toyota) has changed the expected gas mileage for a Prius down to 46 mpg combined. This is achievable with practice. What you have to practice is relaxed driving. Spend time in the right lane and set the display to show the MPG. Pretty soon you will get the feel for optimum Prius Driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda H View Post
    I just about have 5000 miles on my 2007 prius. I'm only getting 35 in town and I'll get around 48 on the highway. Isn't it suppose to be the opposite?
    I've read the tips and tried them....no difference. I think toyota should give lessons on how to drive theses cars and they should stop advertising that the car gets 60 in town.
    Short trips around town in cold weather combined with aggressive driving will get you the disappointing gas mileage. This rule applies to all types of vehicles, hybrid or not.

I am not one that drives aggressivly, and they are usually not short trips and so far the summer vs the winter has not made a difference in the mileage