+ Reply to Thread

03 hch IMA light on

hello everyone,

As I was driving home the other day my IMA light came on and I took it into my local Honda Dealership and of course they say the battery pack needs to be replaced at a cost of 4500.00. In reading through some of the messages here I've gathered that there are sometimes other causes that are more economical fixes. The battery gauge still shows a 3/4 charge, though it doesn't charge or draw down when driving or when it goes into autostop. I am a little leery of the dealership as they have a less than stellar reputation for honesty and correctly diagnosing and repairing has been an issue with several people I know including family. I have already contacted Honda about a good will replacement, and am considering taking it to another dealership about an hour or so away.

I guess I am wondering if anyone out there has had to go through the battery replacement, what other causes it COULD be, and if Honda stood by their vehicles to last for more than 5 years. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Erik

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

What's the warranty on the battery on the '03, have you checked into it? Just looking around, a guy here saying there's 8 years on the battery (about 8 paragraphs down.

Dum, forgot to post the link:

http://www.epinions.com/content_88868490884

Erik;

Unless there have been prior issues with the car, the battery should be warrantied for 8 years. In a worst case scenario you'd be paying a fraction of the cost you were quoted.

It is almost common for first gen HCH's to undergo a battery replacement as they approach and exceed the 100k mile... and in cases a little earlier depending on whether the vehicle is equipped with a CVT or manual transmission and the type of topography it is driven in (the likelihood of an early battery replacement increases rather dramatically for vehicles with the manual transmission).

I would say, go along with the dealership recommendation for a battery replacement. And if you don't fully trust that dealership perhaps you should visit another if possible. In any case, it is not rocket science to determine that the battery needs replacement, especially if the service people at any dealership can read the diagnostic results.

Just for giggles, can you tell us:

-How many miles the car has?
    -Is it a manual transmission car or CVT?
    -Do you drive in mountainous or hilly roads?

Cheers;

MSantos

My IMA light came on and it

My IMA light came on and it went off on my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. I have 183K and have not had any problems since I change my transmission, I have a brand new transmission. Should I be concerned?

Fred