+ Reply to Thread

Civic Hybrid salvaged: seek advice

Hi,
    I'm impressed with knowledge posted in this forum, and would like to hear your advices.
    I plan to buy a hybrid civic, 2004. The seller says it is salvaged, and he must work on it and gets approval from California Highway Patrol because the car was stolen and ripped apart. Due to economic reason, I have driven salvaged car in the past but not hybrid. I don't make much $ and the gas price is killing me...

questions:
    1)Beside issues related to non-hybrid salvaged car such as alignment, stability... what issues I may run into with hybrid?
    2)Is it true that a car can be stolen and tagged as "salvage" on its title (California)?
    3)Will Honda dealer run a check on it? (I will pay, but wonder if they will refuse because it's salvaged).
    4)The car has 40,000 miles and he is asking $9,000. does it sound reasonable?

Thank you in advance for your advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by phidien View Post
    I plan to buy a hybrid civic, 2004. The seller says it is salvaged, and he must work on it and gets approval from California Highway Patrol because the car was stolen and ripped apart. Due to economic reason, I have driven salvaged car in the past but not hybrid. I don't make much $ and the gas price is killing me...
    Since it is a 2004, the vehicle still "has" a good portion of the manuacturer warranty in it... Provided of course that the vehicle is brought back into service by qualified technicians. By qualified, I mean certified mechanics that underwent Honda's training. Unless these pre-requisites are met (which are the very minimum), anything that happens subsequently with you vehicle's systems may not be covered by the warranty.

1)Beside issues related to non-hybrid salvaged car such as alignment, stability... what issues I may run into with hybrid?
    Too many to make this a nightmare car for you. Then again, this car could be a gem. Are you certain that this car was deemed "salvaged" because of theft? I would recommend you get a Carfax (or similar report) to verify the authenticity of those claims. Quite often a car that experienced a flood is a total loss (especially hybrids) and worth a lot less than a car that has been writen off for other reasons (except serious accidents). Is it trully a california car and not an "import" from another "flood" state?

2)Is it true that a car can be stolen and tagged as "salvage" on its title (California)?
    I would recommend you contact your State Motor Vehicle Branch Office and ask them this question. Heresay will hardly holdup later on if you run out of options.

3)Will Honda dealer run a check on it? (I will pay, but wonder if they will refuse because it's salvaged).
    A Honda dealer can run a check on it, but their evaluation of the vehicle will determine how much compliance work is evident in the car. I do know for a fact that they will not only refuse to warranty the car but they will flag it permanently and then you could be at a loss - indefinitely.
    Why don't you call you local Honda office and/or several dealerships to make sure? They should be able to give you the authoritative information you are looking for.

4)The car has 40,000 miles and he is asking $9,000. does it sound reasonable?
    Again, it depends on much of the concerns voiced earlier. A carfax report should be a first step then followed by a frank discussion with a Honda district rep or several dealership service managers.

My personaly gut feeling is that unless you have a better understanding of the car's history $9,000 may be too much.

Cheers;

MSantos

thank you.
    I will ask and run a check on the car. good advice.

1) If the car involved flooding, what kind of damages could have been done to the electrical system of the car?

2) I will ask to test drive the car. For hybrid car, during a test drive, what should I do to make sure the electrical charging system + battery are good?

thank again

Well, a flood car is often considered a car with an early death sentence. To properly restore its systems to a safe and reliable state would amount to a literal tear appart & rebuild process which is well beyond what most folks can (and want to) afford.

It is very hard (but not impossible) to validate proper operation of a hybrid vehicle with a single test drive. Instead, I would take it to an experienced mechanic with an updated HDS station (as all Honda dealerships have) and have them perform a comprehensive physical, diagnostics and operational inspection. Anything less than that would not be sufficient for me.
    In other words, I would not buy a Hybrid vehicle at any price unless it passes an adequate inspection from any of its manufacturer's service departments.

Ask the seller if they are OK with the idea of subjecting the car to a Honda service department inspection. If they are, then take it there. If they are not, then you've got your answer.

Cheers;

MSantos

prospective salvage buyers

Don't buy a car with a salvage title.

hy iam looking for hybrid

hy iam looking for hybrid cars to sell them in overesea and i hope thy are working good

hy iam looking for this kind

hy iam looking for this kind of cars iam going to sell them in overeseas and i hope thy are woeking and good thanx