+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm looking for a 2001 Prius

I'm looking for a 2001 Prius battery replacement option in SF area. 3ProngPower offers new battery for $1800+tax. I expect this would have a 1 year warranty.

Shewbox,
    Could you share where you got the battery for $630 and how much was labor to install? Did this work out well? How many miles since the replacement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Going through same problem

Going through same problem all the above have experienced can't find anyones email address. Have 2002 with 105K miles...was driving great until I let the starter battery die..charged and now have that Hybrid warning light, plus Main battery symbol... Toyota charged me $200.00 to tell me it was code P3009 and P3000 and for an additional $3,700 they would put a new battery in my 5 or 6,000 dollar car. thinking of trying the used battery idea...would love to hear from anyone that has went through this process. You can email me at jim@cuab.net Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

RClabaugh, I've got a

RClabaugh, I've got a similar situation and have only a few days to resolve it. I'm curious what you know about the breaker / fusing situation. Where might this breaker be to which I could gently direct my service personnel?

I recently got the warning light package (which in the past usually goes away after a "reboot" or two) with no apparent symptoms. This time they didn't go away, so I drove the car to the dealer. When I got to their parking lot the engine revved high, the parking brake light went on, and the car lost power. I was able to coast to the service area.

The next day they looked at the car - it was basically dead and had 7 error codes. A new 12 V battery and Computer got rid of 5 of them, but now the error codes indicate that the battery is dead - not worn out mind you, but pretty much dead. So we ordered a new one due for install on Wednesday (1/13).

My problem is that in my experience batteries don't just take a flying leap. They become unable to hold a charge and die a slow, lingering death. A battery as advanced (i.e. expensive) as the Prius battery must be protected - fused, breakered, something. So a blown breaker sounds a lot more like the culprit than a battery that suddenly quit working. (Perhaps the computer malfunctioned and fried the battery, but again - what about the protection?) Bringing us back to: Where might this breaker be to which I could gently direct my service personnel?

A little more background for anybody interested. They told me the new HV battery would be $3,300 not including labor. According to a press release in 2008 (search pressroom.toyota.com) the battery should cost no more than $2,299. After I showed them this release they honored the price. (Honored??) I also asked the service team, who has never seen this problem before, to make an attempt to speak to some other service person, somewhere, somehow, who might have seen a battery problem in the past and get a second opinion (fused breaker perhaps?). They basically told me there was nobody they could talk to. All they have is a tech and a flow chart, and thus the battery is on order. No support from Toyota, no other service departments to call. If that's true, it doesn't seem... helpful.

Other info:
    2001 Prius
    118 K miles (original owner)
    Did notice a recent drop in MPG, but attributed it to change in driving style (only making short, local trips as opposed to a long daily commute) and onset of winter.

Any thoughts?
    Scott

Shorter trips will kill your

Shorter trips will kill your mpg, especially in the winter because the engine runs longer to reach operating temperature, especially if you run the heater or defroster a lot.

I have a 2005 ford escape

I have a 2005 ford escape hybrid and I've started asking quesitons about what will still operate once the hybrid battery dies. Every dealership ship I ask says they don't know what will happen and when I asked ford.ca they said I should ask the dealership to call Ford's internal technical service department for a response to my question. Everyone keeps passing the buck! If my truck dies and they want $5000 for a new battery I'll be starting my own Found On Road Dead campaign in British Columbia. There is no way in the world that an "environmentaly friendly" vehicle should require a $5000 - $10,000 replacement part when it has 160,000km or is over 96 months old (warrenty limits)! Or any vehicle for that matter! If the government truly wants to be environmentally friendly force the vehicle manufacturers to produce a produce that will run for 20 years under warrenty. That would cover the first two parts of the 3 R's: Reduce, Reuse and then Recycle!

The I don't know abou the

The I don't know abou the Ford, but a Prius will not start without the hybrid battery because the ignition system operates off of it.

The dealership is going to give you a quote for a new hybrid battery. If you go to Toyota, they'll tell you a really high price for a new Prius battery too. But you can pick up a used one at a junk yard for about $500.

The I don't know abou the

The I don't know abou the Ford, but a Prius will not start without the hybrid battery because the ignition system operates off of it.

The dealership is going to give you a quote for a new hybrid battery. If you go to Toyota, they'll tell you a really high price for a new Prius battery too. But you can pick up a used one at a junk yard for about $500.

I had my hybrid battery fail

I had my hybrid battery fail (2003 Civic) May 2011, at 160k miles. Was $2100 plus labor, killing me along w/$1400 catalytic converter and 2 oxygen sensors. Ugh. Plan was to drive it to 300K; I drive about 20K per yr including work related driving. BUT now after 2nd catalytic converter failure, I was just rear ended for 2nd time. Worried if they total the car, I've spent tons of $$ for naught. Bodily, the car is not great, even besides accident damage. So if they totalled it, wondering if I could sell year old Hybrid Battery (not damaged) to someone who doesn't want to purchase it from a dealer.
    Any thoughts?