+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dead Hybrid Battery

Anybody have any experience w/ replacing their Prius hybrid battery?

I have 150K on my 2001 and now need a new hybrid battery as well as the battery that controls the computer. The price is $5000 - $4000 in parts and $1000 in labor.

If I knew I could get another 150K out of the car, it *might* be worth the cost of the repair. But, that's such a hefty price tag I'm wondering if I'm a total idiot for even considering it.

Another option is to replace it with used parts at a cost of about $2000. There is some risk w/ used parts that they won't work. If the parts are warrantied, I can return them to the salvage dealer, but I'll be out the cost of the labor.

Any thoughts on the value of replacing the battery at this point?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

More Homework needed

The answer to this question depends on too many factors to have just a poster decide for you. Here is my recommendations:

1) Search the internet (PriusChat, PriusOnline, Ebay, etc.) to identify others who have made this change and how much it cost them.
    2) Determine how much time you have. If you need the car repaired ASAP vs. doing all the homework means you have much fewer choices
    3) How much more life do you want out of the vehicle? You know this and no one else does. Use this info to factor in the above.

I have a 2001 and would definitely get a new battery if it was under $2000 since a transportation at $1000 year is a very good deal and a salvage battery should last that long. $5000 is closer to my borderline.

Thanks for your advice. Trust me, I've been trying to do my homework!

From what I've been able to tell reading through all the forums, the price I've been quoted is the same as everyone else for the repair. I checked w/ an independent hybrid mechanic and price as virtually the same. There seem to be folks out there who've had the battery replaced under warranty and others considering the used parts route. Have yet to see a post of someone post-install of used parts, though.

My plan is to drive the car w/ the faulty battery until it stalls by the side of the road and is undriveable. It's already been more than 6 months since I was told I needed the repair. I'm finally starting to feel the car straining, so I'm thinking my time may be up.

I drive all my cars until the wheels fall off, so (My other car is 15yo.) So, barring some other horribly expensive part failure, it would probably be worth it for me to shell out $2K for used parts - when I get to the $5K amount, however, my commitment starts to waiver. I actually had someone offer me $5K for the car knowing the battery needs replacing - so selling is an option - but I'd prefer to keep it going.

Pioneering Efforts

Obviously you may get to be one of the charter members of the Hybrid Life Extension program. Let the forum(s) know the result, good or bad.

I'll keep you posted!

I see on this site that the #13 cell has been corroded on other Prii, and could be fixed...are you sure your entire battery is bad?

your battery

hey there are options for you out there. i dont know where you are located but if you have anyone that is close to you that has taken Craig Van Batenburgs ACDC class (which i just went to recently) they can help you check the battery for dead cells. if you do not have a dead cell in your battery pack then, if they took the long class, they should know how to charge the battery for you. at the very least a person trained by craig can swap out your battery pack with a good used one or a new one. if you are looking for a used one be sure to check how it has been being stored. they should be kept in a cool(ac even) environment. if you let me know where you are located i can probably find out if there is anyone that took the class near you. good luck.

So, did you get your battery replaced? I'm in the same boat with my '01. I have ~164k miles on it and the battery has deceased. I'm now looking at one from a salvage yard. Can't afford the $2985 new from Toyota. So, I was just wondering how you've faired?

salvage battery

Well, I did it. I bought a salvaged battery. It was the best deal I could find. The battery had 85K miles on it and I got it for $630. That includes shipping. Sure beats $2985 for a new one........which only has a 12 month warranty. That's why I decided to go with a used one.

My dealer should have it by Friday and we'll see then how it goes. It has a 30day warranty, just in case I need to ship it back. Just in case anyone cares (especially kayhud), I'll let you know how it works. And if it doesn't .......... then I'll likely have several car parts for sale in the near future. Stay tuned...

Lost my hybrid battery after

Lost my hybrid battery after 9 yrs and only 84k miles. 2000 year, 1st gen Prius. Replacement was $2500 parts $600 labor at the dealer. Makes me think time on the battery is as important as miles. Replacement is a more modern battery than the original. I do expect good results.

Symptoms were a loss of mileage from 50 MPG down to 35 MPG over about 6 months. Prius could not do 25 MPH without the engine running towards the end. This is a voltage loss under load. Probably higher current too, given the symptoms.

At the end, a circuit breaker would blow after 1.5 miles, disconnecting the hybrid battery, leaving only the engine to provide power. The engine revs up a lot in this situation - triangle of death - car of death icons and amazingly - the parking break light comes on. Simply stopping and shutting down resets everything except the two icons for another 1.5 mile go. Then repeat - parking break light, loss of power, no hybrid battery current, engine revs like mad on depressing the gas peddle. Repeating too many times probably risks fusing the circuit breaker.

I don't think the 12V battery was ever replaced. Toyota wanted $225 for a new one. They must think pretty highly of themselves. In the end, Toyota threw labor for the Inverter oil change, coolant change, belts and yes, the way over priced 12V battery. I guess it pays to embarrass the repair guy once in a while.