+ Reply to Thread

06 HCH warranty?

OK, you longtime HCH users out there... I just bought a used 06 HCH with 26,000 miles on it. Now I have to decide if I should get the Hondacare warranty to extend the coverage. I know nothing about the history of this car other than it was a one-owner vehicle, I got it at a Nissan dealership and I knew more about how it worked than the salesman did but the car looked and acted great so I took the plunge. After all, it is still under warranty. But I know I'll eat up those remaining 10k miles in no time so should I cover myself in case some problem rears its ugly head in the not-so-distant future? Please weigh in on your experiences!

By the way so far I LOVE the car. We drove from Denver to northern Nebraska yesteray and averaged 52mpg. It's quiet, smooth, and plenty of pickup for a compact car. I'm so excited to finally be in a hybrid I can't tell you and I think I got a very good deal on it, pretty much the same price I would have paid for a regular 06 Civic.

We will be relocating to the Phoenix area so if anyone can also recommend a dealership there who actually has technicians who know hybrids I'd love to hear from you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations !

26,000 miles amounts to a good break-in and just to be sure... I would also recommend you visit a good Honda dealership (in no earlier than 2 weeks) not only to assess the actual working state of the car's systems but also to ensure that all updates due for the model are applied correctly and thoroughly.

While there, you can also make sure that the car is indeed still covered under the original warranty (and not voided because of some write-off accident, flood, etc). At that point, getting the extended warranty is a good "peace of mind" especially when you've got no prior history on the car easily available to you.

Cheers;

MSantos

Get The Warranty

I suggest the long term Honda Care warranty. BUT, shop around on the internet. Prices are all over the map. Many Honda dealers do a brisk business selling the Honda Care warranties via the internet. Here are some phone #'s for your consideration. Saccucci Honda in RI at (401) 847-4737 EXT 132. Price bid appears to be about $950 for 84k and $0 deuctible. John Holtz Honda in NY at (877) 771-0551. Price looks to be about $950 also. These dealer offered warranties are in fact Honda Care extended warranties. I would only purchase Honda Care extended warranties, as they are good at any Honda dealership, regardless of which dealer sold you the warranty.

Good advice

Thank you both, very sound advice indeed. Now to find that great Honda technician in Phoenix...

BTW, the car faxes were all clean on the car BUT I must say I take them with a grain of salt now. I had almost purchased an 06 Civic a few weeks ago, which was a great deal with a clean CarFax but at the last moment Honda had informed the dealer that the car had been in a previous accident. Why Honda knew about it but it wasn't reported to CarFax I don't know.

That is why we always recommend that people take the car to a Honda dealership for an initial checkup. They will always do at least two things:

-They will run the VIN through the lookup to see if it does not have any red flags.
    -They'll confirm that the vehicle is still under full or partial warranty.

This is because some accidents are not always reported due to insurance reasons and what not. So some owners know a friend body shop mechanic who will often do a sloppy/improper job on the car with the intent of selling it immediately after.

Sometimes, these folks are forced to take the car to a dealership just to get some of the vehicle's systems working OK... and that's when the car's VIN gets flagged at Honda.
    At this point, Honda technicians will certainly record the poor repair or non-compliance details and depending on the circumstances the warranty may be voided conditionally or in its entirety.

While neither CarFax nor Honda can be full guarantees that the used car is good, having red flags at either is a pretty delicate situation to be in. Typically, a good used car has a history. If the history is not there then... it is either doubtful or likely not good.

Cheers;

MSantos