+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oil Change

that's the argument for the 0w20's. they recommend it for the constant startups

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The engine is always spinning at >1000rpm. The startups just involve opening the valves and turning on the ignition. This isn't like the "mild hybrid" Saturn that actually turns the whole engine off when you stop at a light. The requirement for lighter oil is probably because the engine clearances are machined smaller on this engine.

I have to say that synthetic oil is the only way to go. On my first cars I religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles, but they still wore out the rings by 100k miles. Starting in 1992 I used synthetic oil from the first change and never saw ring wear.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    The engine is always spinning at >1000rpm. The startups just involve opening the valves and turning on the ignition.
    The ICE's in the NAH and the Toyotas are at 0 rpm - stopped - whenever you're in the EV mode.

Here's a diagram:

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Synthetic oil is

Synthetic oil is best....some believe it does not make a difference unless it is a race car and/or harsh conditions but there is no dispute that synthetic oil holds up and lubricates better in tests. Since Synthetic is less volitile to temp. change etc. you can use 5w30 in place of the 0w30 recommended. No you don't NEED it and the avg. car will run 100k+ without skipping a beat on regular oil, but why not join the synthetic oil 250k+ club.....as I did in my last car (a lexus) which was still running strong & not burning oil when I sold it w/ 280k.

I put Mobil1 in my Altima Hy, 5w30 and plan to use it for the life of the car. The local Nissan dealer gets $27- for a standard oil change and $90- for a synthetic oil change which is a TOTAL RIP OFF considering a gallon of Mobil 1 cost $25- at the auto parts store (Pep Boys) The dealer agreed to use my oil and charged me $13- for the filter, labor and disposal so in essence I get a Synthetic oil change by Nissan for $44.25 (5 quarts).

A few more thoughts: You

A few more thoughts: You should switch to Synthetic if you plan to use it as early as possible after you get the car, I switched to it after 500 miles (some believe you should change the oil regardless after the 1st 500 miles in all new cars due to high contaminants deposited during the break-in - impossible to prove/disprove the wisdom of this). Once you change to Synthetic, keep it that way; like yo-yo dieting, it is bad to go from synthetic to regular back and forth. It is also bad to vary oil weights seasonally or otherwise, cntrary to wisdom of yore. Also the 'synthetic blend' oil touted by some dealers and oil change shops is the biggest rip-off of all as you never really know what you are getting as far as ratios of synthetic:regular; go 100% synthetic (I'm a big fan of Mobil1 brand) every time or not at all.

some say that you should

some say that you should keep dino oil in your car until 10,000 miles so that a seal builds up on the gaskets.

and you want to look for 0w-20 which is better for hybrids. hard to find it right now though, $5-6 a quart of Mobil 1

You can get the 0W-20 at any

You can get the 0W-20 at any Wal-Mart. Even have it changed there. The oil is expensive almost $6 a quart but I think worth it in gas savings and performance. You have to judge.