+ Reply to Thread

Nickel Batteries

HI! I read an article at my local chevy dealer that stated it was cheaper overall to own a Hummer. It went on to say that Toyota builds the Prius with nickel in the battery. The cost of mining the nickel, shipping it and the smelting process was more expensive than just owning/operating a Hummer. The figures also stated that the battery life expectancy is only 100,000 miles. My question is this: How much does it cost to replace the battery? I am looking at hybrid vehicles, but I do not want one that causes environmental harm just to produce the battery. Does mining the nickel do more environmental damage than the Prius can make up for? I am looking carefully at everything that hybrids offer, and may just end up not buying one at all. Anything helpful will help!! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Wow!! I can't believe that article is still out there. Essentially, the article was built around flawed and biased research. Articles swept the internet and message boards disproving its content. This site had an ongoing discussion called "Regarding 'Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage'".
    When I bought my 2007 prius, it came with an 8-year 100,000 mile warranty on all hybrid related components. The battery pack would be covered in this deal. However, I know people who have mileage in the high 100,000s low 200,000s and are still going strong on the same battery pack.

This is all I know

My cell phone has the same type of battery, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), as my Prius. The battery of the cell phone can last two years at most with falling capacity during the second year. Toyota claims the battery of the Prius is expected to last the live time of the car because the computer of the car is using it in an optimal way. The battery is kept far away from fully charged or fully discharged state (some frequent shallow cycle); also the temperature of the battery is closely monitored and it is heated or cooled by the air that comes from the cabin, so when the driver regulates the temperature of the air for himself he does it for the battery too.

I found this: http://batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm
    But it does not go deep enough.

This is a mystery to me. If somebody finds more information please write.

Before I bought the prius I asked a person from the parts department (not a dealer who is directly interested to sell me a new car) what is the price of a new hybrid battery. He answered that they do not know yet because they still replace them for free and for me nobody can predict what would be the price after 8 years. His crystal ball was predicting the price of a hybrid battery will go down fast because of expanding volumes of production.

Service department says my battery, cell 18 is dead,codes P3000 and P3030 Cost of a new battery is $4,250. I read an article on this website - Battery Replacement Costs - which indicates that individual cells or corroded connections can be the problem and the dealerships don't fix the connections. They replace the entire hybrid battery. If this is so, does anyone know of a service shop around the Phoenix, AZ area that does this work.

I assume you are not under warranty. The vast majority of Toyota Dealers only do a total replacement since they can only get entire batteries from Toyota. Additionally, mixing NiMh Cells requires very careful matching of the replacement cell with the original cells and this is only done by a few. There are some experts at PriusChat that would know independent shops that could either a) replace the pack with a used pack for hundreds (vs. thousands) or b) attempt to replace the bad cell with a matched cell.

Cha Cha. I too knew about

Cha Cha. I too knew about the batteries and I was scared to death when mine caught fire! I took mine to Pesola Ford of Norfolk and the service man, Eric, replaced everything and gave be a burner for my new exhaust pilot I have had installed.