+ Reply to Thread

CAN I RESET the oil change indicator?

2007 HCH: Can "I" reset the 15% oil life indicator so I'm not going for a oil change every 8 weeks? If so, please let me know how to do this, or where I might find directions. Unless it's strongly recommended to keep with the indicator, I would like to change the oil three times per year. My commute is almost entirely country interstate, and I put on 33,800 miles annually. (51 and 52 mpg at fillups,BTW).
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Mrock:

How strongly do you feel about following Honda's recommendations?

If you change the oil by yourself then you'll find the instructions in the user's manual.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life is displayed.
    3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code will blink.
    4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenance item code will disappear and the engine oil life will reset to 100%.

The servicing schedule is not dependent on the incurred mileage only and the maintenance minder does not impact the engine oil life only either. It is important that when we perform a reset that it be done in the context of completeness that is outlined in your user's manual.

Changing the oil too frequently is still your choice, but truly not necessary and in the long run it can be seen as a waste of money. The Maintenance minder is the Authoritative indicator prompting you for any kind of planned maintenance.... including oil changes.
    In other words, just follow Honda's instructions as outlined in the user Manual and you'll be OK.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thank you

Haven't yet decided about my plan for oil change every 4 months. But, the place I've been going to for 11 years - they will do the oil change - does not know the reset procedure you outlined for me.
    All The Best to you.

My car reset the indicator automatically

After I changed the oil, the indicator is off automatically, which leads me believe that the car has a sensor that defects the condition of the oil as in other Honda/Acura cars such as MDX.