+ Reply to Thread

2003 - 2005 Civic Hybrid Powertrain Issues

I am reluctant to post this as I know that it could affect the ability to re-sell my vehicle, but on the other hand I know that, in the interest of safety the problem will be fixed before I sell it, if I even choose to do so.

First let me start by saying that with the exception of this issue, I LOVE my hybrid. I get anywhere from 36 to 59 mpg depending on my driving at the time (conservative or agressive), the outdoor temperature, city or highway, and the terrain. Generally I am between 43 and 53 mpg depending on highway or city driving.

There have been many consistant postings on the slipping/hesitating/bucking transmission and a general consensus that the dealers try to do fluid changes to delay the fix so that the warranty will expire. The only recourse that I can see is to go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/ as advised in other posts. I found though that it is very confusing as to where to place the post as you may tend to look for "transmission". Instead look for Powertrain - Automatic Transmission and make your post there. This will give us strength in numbers and may bring about a quicker solution before we have to lay out our own money for the fix.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks,

Jeanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Am hesitating to buy...

I found an '04 HCH near me with 51k miles that seems like an awfully good deal. What I'm reading about the CVT problems makes me hesitate though. Does anyone think there is a chance that Honda will come through and fix/replace the underlying problems? Sure would be nice to know. Also if I test drive the car, who is to know if the transmission fluid was recently changed to cover up the problem temporarily. Not an easy decision I guess... I really can't afford a new one and would love to get into a hybrid...

mcaimless:

51K is not too high a mileage figure provided that the servicing history for that vehicle (which includes details) is available. Typically, this is only possible if the vehicle was serviced at Honda on a regular basis. If that is indeed the case then I would certainly consider the purchase of the car provided that it also passed an inspection from a qualified Honda Technician or service department. Unfortunately, many independent "Honda" technicians are not properly trained in IMA platforms to provide you with the assurance and guarantee of thoroughness you would need in this case.

Now, with regards to the CVT:
    There will not be a fix to that issue. What you may get (at most) is a software update now and then so it helps to have a qualified technician inspect the car as that assessment is part of the checklist.
    Instead, the best insurance and guarantee, is to perform the CVT fluid replacement regularly and properly. If you do this then the car will serve you well for a long time to come. That's it.

If the proper and detailed service history is not available then the car would be worth less to me since it would force me to apply greater scrutiny in the inspections in order for me to be comfortable with such a purchase.

Other things to watch out for if a detailed service history is not available:
    - EGR valve and operation
    - O2 sensor
    - Catalytic converter
    - Misc software updates
    - Prior driving regimen for the car (use in hills & mountain areas) which would indicate greater stress to the NiMH pack.
    - 12V battery health.

Cheers;

MSantos

mcaimless

I'll be speaking to Honda Customer Service tomorrow and I'll try to keep you posted if I find out anything. I have been a loyal Honda customer since the Accord LXi's came out way back when. To date I have found Honda to be one of the best cars in the world. At this point, I can only believe that they know the value of their reputation and continue to resolve issues in the appropriate manner.

Jeanne

Thanks

Great replies, thank you both.
    What I'm up against is the car is at a dealership, which is also the only qualified service center for Hondas within 100 miles so there may be some "trust issues" with an inspection there, presumably they've had their technicians go over the car prior to putting it on the lot anyway (at least I'm pretty sure this is what they'll tell me).
    Given this and if there are no detailed service records (I've yet to purchase a used vehicle at a dealer that had them available) would you recommend purchasing an extended warranty to cover myself-- and indeed, will it cover these things you mentioned as being crucial points to look at?
    Thanks!

Purchase an extended warranty? Absolutely, and without a doubt.

The good thing here is that the car would be sold to you by the Honda dealership. Not that the dealership is not bad or anything, it just means that your assurances can be raised well beyond what an independent outfit can offer.

I would sit down with them and go over the points/items I outlined and have them make sure that any warranty coverage they offer makes you comfortable. If you take this stance, then they will at least have the incentive to double-check the car before handing it over to you.

Cheers;

MSantos

Fruitless visit today

Upon getting into my car to go to the dealer for my service appointment, lo and behold, everything was working fine. The battery was charging. The engine was peppy, there was only the small shudder that has been there since I bought the car. All this with the AC on. When I took it to the dealer, I told them this and that gave no indication that there was no point leaving it. When I went to pick it up, as expected, I received the news that "they could not duplicate the issue". This seems to be a pat response. I asked them if I could bring it in immediately the next time it happened, and they said that I could bring it in, but they could not guarantee that they could look at it then. I asked if they could at least have a technician drive it right then so that we could document the problem. They said only if the could spare one. It seems that Honda does not want to admit to the issue. My husband is going to drive it a long distance tomorrow and see if he can get it to act up again. We anticipate no problems because the weather has cooled off somewhat and the problem seems to be hot weather related.

Again, I'll keep you posted.

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but you talk about "issues" others having, places to bring your problem, web sites, resultant resale issues, and so on, but I'm lost as to what specific problem you're experiencing, with your car. Could you describe specifically what you're noticing, when, what conditions, that sort of thing.

Mendel Leisk

The problems I am experiencing are the intermittant bucking, slipping, lack of power, hesitation, IMA seemingly not working properly and the lack of concern and/or Honda Dealership deniability.

The problems are intermittant as I stated above, and the problem I am having is that when I take it in for service, I continually get "cannot reproduce the problem" from the dealer and therefore, no matter what anyone states the problem is on this forum, they will not even try any of the possible fixes. When I make any suggestions on how we can re-produce the problem, the dealer is not open to them. I even suggested that I stop what I am doing and bring the car in immediately when the problem occurs again. The dealer's reply is that I can bring it in, but they may or may not have a technician available to look at it when I bring it in, and if a technician is not readily available, they will not pull a technician off another job even for a few minutes, just to document the issue with my car.

My only recourse now is to bring my car in when the problem next occurs and if the dealer says they "do not have a technician available," at that point, I will contact Honda Customer Service before I leave the dealership parking lot. Hopefully corporate customer service will come to my aid and have the dealer test drive my car right then just to document the issue.

Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Jeanne

With our 06 I've noticed occasional surge at low speeds, say in a parking lot or rounding a tight corner.

I wonder if frequent fluid changes alleviating the symptoms is a clue?

Here's a few symptom descriptions from my 06 shop manual CVT section, that might be related. It's a different year, but might be of help. If any one seems to be the case, I could type out some of the probable causes:

Judder when starting off *

Excessive shock when starting off

Unstable rpm while driving

Excessive vibration in D, S, L and R

Excessive vibration in N and P

Vibration in all positions

* Probable cause #2 for this is:

CVTF deteriorated or worn out.