+ Reply to Thread

Gas Tank fillup and lateral bumping

This is old news for the experienced posters but you can squeeze more fuel into your tank by bumping it laterally. Example:
    -Today my gas gauge was on E and the miles to empty (MTE) reading was 29. I pulled into the gas station and proceeded to fill it up. Back pressure in the tank cause the pump to stop filling after 12.76 gallons deposited. I then laterally bumped my vehicle and added another .25 gallons and repeated the process. I ended up with 14.49 gallons deposited in my tank.

I have to admit, the local food store was providing me with a $.40 gallon discount so I wanted as much gas as I could squeeze into the tank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post
    This is old news for the experienced posters but you can squeeze more fuel into your tank by bumping it laterally. Example:
    -Today my gas gauge was on E and the miles to empty (MTE) reading was 29. I pulled into the gas station and proceeded to fill it up. Back pressure in the tank cause the pump to stop filling after 12.76 gallons deposited. I then laterally bumped my vehicle and added another .25 gallons and repeated the process. I ended up with 14.49 gallons deposited in my tank.

I have to admit, the local food store was providing me with a $.40 gallon discount so I wanted as much gas as I could squeeze into the tank.
    Billy, you just confirmed again that you can put well over 15 gallons in the tank. Lets look at what you put in: The total you added was 14.49 gallons, you had 29 MTE which would add at least .7 gallons and then add at least 1.3 gallons past 0 MTE. This would put a total of 16.49 gallons in the tank.

Not only is this great information for those who want to take advantage of better gas prices, but it helps to avoid gas lines during a hurricane like in my case.

Improving the MPG in my FWD FEH was driven by many factors, but none the less, I have a sense of control I hope everyone could enjoy.

GaryG

Gas mileage

Bumping sounds like a good idea!

I am still having issues a few times in which my miles until empty and the actual gauge goes down when I start the car. then the nesxt time i start it it will go bak up. i am talking 50-60 MTE and almost a quarter tank change in the gauge. One time it is fine after a fill up, the next it isn't.

I am not considering it a major problem, and i posted about it once before. It just bugs me.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post

Last night I was down to 17 miles to empty (MTE) and pulled into the same station and proceeded to fill it up. Back pressure in the tank cause the pump to stop filling at 12.6 gallons. I then laterally bumped my vehicle and added another .25 gallons and repeated the process until I had 13.68 gallons in it. Now it became more difficult and I could only get about .14 gallons in before back pressure caused a shutoff. Several times I pulled the pump nozzle out of the vehicle's filler neck only to watch the gasoline slowly drain downward into the tank. I continued this process until I put 14.14 gallons in the tank.

Warning, do not try this when the gas station is busy. Standing at the open gas filler neck may cause you to inhale some gasoline fumes which is never a good thing. If you pump too fast, it is possible gas will overflow and might drip down your vehicle's paint if not your clothing. I was motivated to repeat this process as I had earned a 43 cent a gallon discount from the local food store.