I have owned my Altima Hybrid for 2-1/2 months and have a little over 2000 miles on it.

Since we've had it, we have experienced several annoying characteristics:

1) After accelerating up to speed, between 45 and 55 mph, as I begin ease off of the throttle to maintain my speed, there is sudden (and annoying) drop in power output, and I feel a lurch forward with this sudden change (decrease) in acceleration. Has anyone else experienced that? is this normal operation for a hybrid?

I have taken my car to the dealer to try to demonstrate this to them, but the problem is slightly intermittant. It happens about 80% of the time, but not 100% of the time. I plan to take it back and leave it with them.

2) The car rumbles when I am driving around under light throttle. Is this normal? (This is different from the vibration you feel when the engine starts)

3) The best mileage I have achieved so far is 30.5 mpg, with several tanks being below 30; 27 to 29. I have been driving with a light foot on the throttle, and slowing well in advance of red lights. I have not been able to get the mid 30's kind of mileage that I read that others are getting. Is it my car, or is my driving really that bad?

The car we brought home from the dealer is not the one we test drove. When we test drove the Altima Hybrid, we were very pleased with its performance compared to the Camry hybrid, and quite excited to buy one. The car we test drove seemed to drive much smoother than the one we now own. Do I need to take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it, or is this car operating the way it is supposed to, and we just did not notice these quirks on our test drive? (Please spare me the lecture about needing to test drive the car before I accept it - I've already figured that one out.)

Rob In Bakersfield