+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rear Tire Wear

Rear Tire Wear

My 06 HCH has 27,000 miles and the rear tires both wore down the inside edge 1". There's scalloping and the tread is gone. The entire face of the tire is fine. I was going to put 90,000 mile michelin hydroedge tires on but the tire dealer recommended replacing 2 bridgestones. He said it's a good thing I didn't rotate yet because I'd have 4 bad tires and wouldn't have pinpointed the problem.

The rear camber is negative to the naked eye and I'm told there's no ajustment to the rear alignment.

I took the car to the dealer for noise I thought might be the cvt. They looked at it and said get new tires then we'll check it out. Now I have to get them to correct the alignment.

Is this negative camber on the rear normal???

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Both my 03 and by 06 HCH's had an obvious negative camber on the rear wheels. I never noticed it on the front, but I think it would have been harder to tell. So I would say the negative camber on the rears is normal, but cannot speak for the fronts. That being said, I never had any problems with abnormal treadwear on any of the tires on either car. If I am reading your post correctly, your tires were never rotated for 27,000 miles. Despite what your tire person told you about it being a good thing they hadn't been rotated, I'd guess that it was the lack of rotation that caused the problem and not anything to do with the rear camber.

abnormal rear tire wear

I had a similar experience as Mike; went through 3 sets of rear tires in 30K, all severe inside wear. Dealer replaced the tires but offered no fix (camber is not adjustable). They finally told me to get an aftermarket kit from a tire dealer to fix it. For a brand new car, this is unacceptable...will pursue lemon law, etc.

re: rear tire wear

Recently replaced tires after 30k. Only left rear had significant wear on inside edge. Dealer checked alignment and found left rear significantly out of spec. Other three wheels were within specs and had even tire wear.

Dealer also mentioned that there two other HCHs with similar type wear, but that he didn't get to examine those cases.

He went in with an attitude to find something that Honda would be responsible for - and found nothing.

same here

I have a 2007 civic hybrid and wore the rear tires out in less than 18k.
    Definately something wrong. You have to rotate the tires so that the faulty
    rear suspension doesn't wear them out, although the front tires do all the work. It's supposed to be the other way around. The dealer checked my car
    out and found no problem. Other than that, I like the car. I get nearly 50 miles to the gallon, but whatever I save on fuel I'll spend on tires. I'll check out the lemon law groups as well.

At 19000 miles, my 07 HCH has 4 ruined tires from the negative camber issue.
    With proper documentation and a very courteous demeanor I took my car to where I purchased it, Auto Park Honda in Cary, NC .
    After inspecting my tire for 30 minutes, the service girl informed me that "they" determined the inner tire wear was from "Overloading" in my car. I had 2 toolboxes in my trunk and they come to me with that crap. The totally unhelpful and unsympathetic Service Manager totally blew me off and told me straight up, "You're not getting 2 new tires today". AVOID Auto Park Honda! I'm paying $530 a month for a car and warranty backed by Crooks. There are over 300 cases of this Negative Camber problem on various websites on the net with the same problem, but mine is "Overloading"?
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f75f0They said nothing was wrong with my car, but he could not deny that others were coming to him with the same problem!
    CAVEAT EMPTOR
    I have had my HCH in the shop for a total of 14 working days for a Motor Position Sensor issue, and now these CROOKS can't take the blame for an OBVIOUS mfg defect in which the HCH eats the inside of tires, or at least the 300 plus mine I've read about.
    I hope that at least one person reads this and goes and buys the PRIUS instead of the HCH. And go to anyone else other than LEITH, they own the place and must train these folks to do anything but take responsibility and refuse to right a wrong.
    And on top of all of that, they were OUT OF COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've got a little over 30,000km's on our 2006. I believe the tires have been rotated front-to-back with one pair also going side-to-side, once. They look fine and run smooth. Not saying this to negate what others are saying, just my experience.

Indeed.

I have a 2006 HCH with many miles in it now and no signs of unusual tire wear. My wife has a 2007 is all is super with her's as well. I also know hundreds of HCH-2 owners who report no such issues.

I am not saying these claims are without merit.

However, I am positive that there has to be other mitigating factors that explain these differences in owner experience. One thing, I am sure: all HCH-II were/are manufactured by the same standards, at the same plant in Suzuka.

Cheers;

MSantos

Mitigating Factor

The only "mitigating factor" in my case is that I drive this car much more carefully than any I have owned previously. The mileage monitor is addictive.
    I drive the same route that I have driven for over 15 years. I averaged over 60k miles on my previous cars' tires with intermittent tire rotation. My hybrid tires were Dunlop tires. I will never buy Dunlap tires again. The service rep. at my
    dealer actually told me that part of the problem is that the rear of the car is too light. Maybe I should lug around a couple of toolboxes to weigh down the rear to improve my mileage. What a joke!! There is definately a problem with
    the rear suspension and they know it. My next hybrid will not be a Honda. I love this car except for the tire issue, but because my dealer won't be straight with me, they have lost a customer forever. Too bad.

Honda blinked
    After completing the Customer Service Satisfaction E-Mail I received after the above encounter, I was promptly contacted by the service dept. and told the following:
    In the dealer's words "We acknowledge there is a problem with the Civic Rear tires and a camber kit will be available soon." They sold me with a new set of tires at 50% price. I went with the Bridgestones, not the Dunlops.
    Stay tuned.