+ Reply to Thread

Bought 08 FEH, Question on over 40 MPH

I have been reading and learning from all you good people. We bought our 08 FEH a week 1/2 ago and could not be more thrilled. We live at 1500 ft elevation in the Sierra foothills (CA) and drive to the valley at 300 ft elevation, 100 mile round trip. On our first tank that I tracked we got 34.5 mpg. It was way better than I was expecting.

Now my question. In the factory sheet it says that when you are going over 40 mph and coasting the engine is "not using any fuel." If this is the case is there a benefit to doing the neutral thing instead of just leaving it in drive. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa Paul View Post
    I have been reading and learning from all you good people. We bought our 08 FEH a week 1/2 ago and could not be more thrilled. We live at 1500 ft elevation in the Sierra foothills (CA) and drive to the valley at 300 ft elevation, 100 mile round trip. On our first tank that I tracked we got 34.5 mpg. It was way better than I was expecting.

Now my question. In the factory sheet it says that when you are going over 40 mph and coasting the engine is "not using any fuel." If this is the case is there a benefit to doing the neutral thing instead of just leaving it in drive. Thanks in advance
    Can you explain the factory sheet? If you are talking about the owners manual please give the page and quote because this is new information.

As far as coasting, my '05 reduces fuel in "D" and "L" when you let off the gas, but you get drag from regen. It's best to coast in "N" in EV to coast further. If the '08 has gone to complete fuel cut in "D" while coasting, this changes things. If the battery is full, you don't need regen while coasting, but if you have fuel cut over 40mph, "D" coasting with the engine ON may benefit. You coast further in "N", but with the engine running you still burn gas.

GaryG

Gary

The info on the engine "not using any fuel" comes from the 2008 Escape Hybrid Quick Reference Guide behind "Engine" info. It is a hard paper foldout. The print date on the guide is April 2007, first printing.

Thanks for your response

Paul

Re: Engine running, using no fuel

This is the statement from the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid quick reference guide:

"... In prolonged mountainous driving, you may also see the engine tachometer
    changing without your input. This is intentional and maintains the battery
    charge level. You may also notice during extended downhill driving that your
    engine continues to run instead of shutting off. During this "engine braking,"
    the engine stays on, but it's not using any fuel."

Gary C

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    This is the statement from the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid quick reference guide:

"... In prolonged mountainous driving, you may also see the engine tachometer
    changing without your input. This is intentional and maintains the battery
    charge level. You may also notice during extended downhill driving that your
    engine continues to run instead of shutting off. During this "engine braking,"
    the engine stays on, but it's not using any fuel."

Gary C
    Thanks for clarification Gary, that is how my '05 works as well. The fuel cut is only when MG1 is used to spin the ICE when the battery can't take a charge.

GaryG