+ Reply to Thread

IMA Batt Drop to Zero during Autostop- HCH07 CVT

Four times during the last 2 months, my HCH 2007 CVT has had the battery charge level drop to zero during auto stop at a light. The vehicle has 10K miles on it and we are driving in northern virginia heat and traffic.

This often happens about 10 minutes in to my drive home from work, oddly often at the same stop light.

After going into normal autostop the vehicle suddenly restarts and the battery charge level drops from about 60-70% to Zero. The vehicle is then very, very sluggish and slow accelerating (under gas power only - and charging at the same time?) for about 10 minutes while the battery slowly charges back up again during normal driving. It take about two days to get the level back in to the 70% range, but everything else it normal.

Service says they need to be able to recreate the problem in the shop but it only happens once every 2 weeks or so. I even have a picutre of the battery level at 0 after it happend. It seems like the electronics are not reading the battery charge correctly and causing the car to behave as if there is no juice. I assume the battery is actually fine.

Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Anorthite

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

cant you take it to a shop and show em the picture? That definitely should not be happening, not with 10k miles. If you have a video camera, it would probably be better than a regular camera. Also, if the dealer doesnt want to look at your car, find another one that will. Once you do, make sure to give em good ratings after they fix ur problem.

Quote Originally Posted by anorthite View Post

After going into normal autostop the vehicle suddenly restarts and the battery charge level drops from about 60-70% to Zero. The vehicle is then very, very sluggish and slow accelerating (under gas power only - and charging at the same time?) for about 10 minutes while the battery slowly charges back up again during normal driving. It take about two days to get the level back in to the 70% range, but everything else it normal.
    anorthite:

Your dealer should be willing (and able) to perform a BCM test to determine the general health of the cell modules. It is relatively simple "if" they are willing to do it.

Nevertheless, the behavior you describe is NOT uncommon and occurs once in a while to those of us during hot summer days. While it is "normal", I would recommend you watch the use of AC and fan during these days. I do not mean "NOT using it at all"; I mean using it strategically and gradually (you should use it for the battery's sake at least). For instance, operating the AC on AUTO and starting with a higher temp setting then gradually lowering it as the fan slows down works very well for many.
    Letting the hot air out of the car before starting it also works, as well as driving for the first minute with the windows down.
    All of these (and other techniques) help lower the impact on the battery pack .
    Please remember, that when it is very hot the battery pack is being thermally managed so the rate of depletion is often higher than the rate of charge. It is obvious then, that anything we can do to minimize the initial hit is likely to help.

Cheers;

MSantos

Follow up.

Thanks for the advice. All is well so far.