+ Reply to Thread

Student Driver / FEH'08

Hello everyone! Glad to finally be a member on the board after reading it for the past 2 weeks, this is great forum with a wealth of knowledge from its members.

I'm going to be 21 very soon and entering my senior year up at Buffalo Univ. Instead of doing what every other kid does at my age and investing in a gas guzzling, fast sports car, I've decided to take the smart approach and invest in a hybrid vehicle, a FEH'08 to be exact, for a few reasons: 1) obvious financial benefit from it being a hybrid vehicle 2) 4WD capabilities for when my school gets buried in snow 3) plenty of space to move things in and out of the dorm for my brother and I.

I'm going to be financing this car with a lot of help from my parents. I've already stated that I'm a college student so it goes without saying that I don't have a lot of money so my question is: Is there any discount I get from being a student driver from Ford? Are there any rebates or special offers that I can find on the internet that can take a few dollars off my back? Anything at all, even a point in the right direction would be phenomenal. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tecz0r View Post
    Hello everyone! Glad to finally be a member on the board after reading it for the past 2 weeks, this is great forum with a wealth of knowledge from its members.

I'm going to be 21 very soon and entering my senior year up at Buffalo Univ. Instead of doing what every other kid does at my age and investing in a gas guzzling, fast sports car, I've decided to take the smart approach and invest in a hybrid vehicle, a FEH'08 to be exact, for a few reasons: 1) obvious financial benefit from it being a hybrid vehicle 2) 4WD capabilities for when my school gets buried in snow 3) plenty of space to move things in and out of the dorm for my brother and I.

I'm going to be financing this car with a lot of help from my parents. I've already stated that I'm a college student so it goes without saying that I don't have a lot of money so my question is: Is there any discount I get from being a student driver from Ford? Are there any rebates or special offers that I can find on the internet that can take a few dollars off my back? Anything at all, even a point in the right direction would be phenomenal. Thanks.
    Sorry, I don't have time to do your research, but I did get a $500 discount card from Ford in the mail in 2002 for having a student driver. I have a history of buying Fords and answered surveys which may have lead them to know I had a student driver. After making the deal for a new 2002 Explorer, I presented the card and the dealership had Ford send me a check for $500 later. Hope this helps.

GaryG

Mmh

Before you purchase I would suggest also test driving the Mercury Mariner. Through some of the threads some think this is a better car than the Escape although they are basically the same. I have a MMH and love it. I am not saying it is better because i have not driven a Ford but you should explored your options and get what you want.

Also do NOT skimp on the navigation system. I have heard nothing but good things about it and it will really help your driving experience. GET IT as if it were a standard feature.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post

Also do NOT skimp on the navigation system. I have heard nothing but good things about it and it will really help your driving experience.

Are you referring to the hybrid portion of the "navigation system?"

I have read a few negative comments on the navigational portion of the hybrid/navigation/radio system. One complaint is that the mapping is not good in rural areas with incomplete mapping. The 08 models are DVD based (opposed the CD based 05-07 models) but the screen is of low resolution. I do not believe you can view a DVD movie on the factory system while aftermarket systems do allow for this function.

The hybrid portion of this system is high tech. Many posters believe this should be a standard feature like found in the Toyota Pirus. Is this worth the $2,000 price tag? Only you can decide that.

Yes - Hybrid Nav

Correct, I am refering to the Hybrid Nav system. I have heard from this site that is aids so much in your driving habits. On the other hand, as you stated, some do not like the actual navigation part.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    Correct, I am refering to the Hybrid Nav system. I have heard from this site that is aids so much in your driving habits. On the other hand, as you stated, some do not like the actual navigation part.
    Hi Mark

If I remember, you don't have the Nav System. However, you have seen my post in recommending it. If you study who is getting the big numbers in MPG, I think most if not all have the Nav System. The energy screen should be part of the standard equipment, but it's not. Ford has been losing money on the FEH/MMH since day one.

If and when my video is available on the internet, you will see how I used the energy screen to pump out 61.8mpg on the 26 mile MPG Challenge at Hybridfest on 7/20/07 this year. If I bought a new '08, it would not be considered by me without the Nav Sys. Glad I ordered my '05 with it and I see the benefits everyday I start it up.

I would not feel good personally not recommending the Nav System.

GaryG

Scangauge II and hybrid display

No question the hybrid display assists with fuel economy and Gary G. is a perfect example of this. I did not order my vehicle and about the only option it didn't have is the navigational/hybrid display system. I'm waiting for the updated scangauge II (or is it III?) hardware that is rumored to display (in numbers?) what Ford's hybrid system does at a significantly less price. I recently purchased a portable 4.3 inch Garmin GPS unit for my navigational needs.