+ Reply to Thread

Instant fuel consumption guage

Dear All

Has any one else in this forum noticed that when cruising at higher speeds approx 70-80 kph without throttle the instant fuel gauge blows out to 12l/100KM (indicating full throttle) then when accelerating it drops to a normal readout?

Normally when no petrol is being used (eg in EV and at slowing in lower speeds) the gauge shows no lights.

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I've noticed it climb to 12 just once in a blue moon, just momentarily. I always surmise it's doing some sort of recalibration, just guessing. There is something in the manual I think, saying that periodically it has to sort-of realign itself.

I have here some update about my car, Honda...I hope this might help and give some ideas...=)
    The new, 2007 Honda CR-V is more powerful, more stylish and more comfortable than the previous-generation 2006 models. Its new suspension geometry delivers an improved ride and better, more responsive handling.

The engine, still an inline four cylinder, employs variable intake valve timing to optimize horsepower and torque for acceleration and cruising speeds. The transmission is a new, five-speed automatic. Real Time all-wheel drive is offered on all three models. The U.S. EPA rates the front-wheel drive CR-V at 23/30 city/highway miles per gallon and the all-wheel drive at 22/28.

Thus, buyers looking for peppy performance, snazzy styling and easier financing have better choices. Its Honda fuel filter and other accessories like Honda door lock in their excellent condition...But for Honda loyalists looking for something better than their current CR-V or an SUV to step up into from their Civic, the '07.

Not sure how this is topical

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk View Post
    Not sure how this is topical
    No kidding.

MSantos

I have been following this event. It occurs whenever cruising eg 6Okph plus. To evoke come off the accelerator until regen commences then depress the accelerator until there is no regen. If you remain with your foot in this position the car glides, in a kind of neutral ( think the Ice shuts down one of three modes of the engine) and the IFCG appears as 12/l100 I suspect that it is actually showing 99 mpg or 0l/100 km.

Hi John;

Mendel is right about the throttle control re-calibration effect. In fact, this effect has been described and discussed at length ever since the HCH-II entered the market.

Basically, and under some conditions, the iFCD will rise to maximum and slowly will start making its way back down as in a rhythmic fashion. Some people likened it to a "Samba" dance. Of course, if you lift your foot off the gas pedal you will effectively cancel the effect and the iFCD readout returns to normal.

I would definitely not be concerned about this effect as it really does not reflect negatively on the actual fuel economy figures at all.

About the un-powered glides:
    That is pretty odd. I have never noticed the iFCD at max (12 l/100k) when on a assist/regen free glide. Every single time most of us glide, the iFCD is pegged at 0 l/100k and stays there until the foot says otherwise.
    Do you know by any chance, if you have had a recent PCM update?

Cheers;

MSantos

This is starting to intrigue me. My insight does as described when in lean burn suddenly drops out for a moment then returns to lean burn. This is sustained - I can now get the IFCG sitting at 12/100 with no acceleration for 100's of meters. I think it is something to do with this (from the Honda website) "During deceleration, as soon as the throttle is closed and regeneration begins, the synchro piston is positioned inside the idle-mode rocker arm, disengaging the lift-mode rocker arm so that the valve remains at rest. Since the cylinder is sealed off, pumping losses (resistance caused by engine aspiration) that result in engine friction are reduced" I suspect that by not accelerating again just cancelling regen the ICE is tricked and remains shut down.