+ Reply to Thread

Best new tires for '06 Prius?

Time to replace my original equipment goodyears. Anyone have any suggestions other than just getting a new set of 185 65 R15's? Just looking for the most comfortable ride available; don't need Al Gore Jr.-type handling capability.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Get tires that have a wear rating above 700. Too many recommend a specific brand and all manufactures have cheap tires (i.e. something to put on the car that I'm selling tomorrow) and high end tires (i.e. something I want to hold to the road really good for the next 5 years). The Integrity is the cheap one (wear rating 460) and the Triple Treds are the high end for Goodyear. Michelin has the Hydroedges as their best. That wear rating is the key. Understand it, use it, and you will get a very good tire.

Thanks, FL

That's a big help. Kind of you to take the time.

I'm just curious, beds, how many miles do you have on your car? I have an '05 that needs new tires. (I've only had mine for 2 years.) The first 15 months I had it, I put about 38K on it. I have since gotten a shorter commute and it has about 42K. I was thinking that was about right for dealer tires. Alot of folks are complaining about the tire wear.

And FL_Prius_ thanks for the good info. I didn't know about the wear rating. Do you know what OEM stands for?

Thanks,
    Tonya

tonya499

42k. Which I thought was pretty much par for the course for original equipment manufacturer (the translation of oem) tires. Never gotten more than 50k out of original equipment tires on any car and I've bought some fairly expensive ones.

I would agree. I didn't know what oem stood for and I've been all over the net. Man, do I feel dumb! At least my tires are wearing "normally". Thanks!

No reason to feel dumb

Original Equipment Manufacture is, at best, counter-intuitive and at worst ungrammatical. Should be MEO. Maybe a translation of some European or Japanese phrase.

so I had a tire shop here in

so I had a tire shop here in Vegas replace the tires on my 2006 Prius as the old tires had 70k miles on them. They put on 195's though and now my mileage has gone through the floor (from 55 to 45). Other than the mileage any thoughts if this will impact the vehicle in any other ways (reduced battery life....)?