+ Reply to Thread

Prius in Europe, too high consumption also

Hello,
    I am the happy owner of a Prius bought last September (2006). Happy about most features of the cart except consumption! It has now about 30.000 km and I could never reach the announced low consumption advertised for mixed useage (4.2 l/100 km). What I get when driving with a very light foot (no strong acceleration, never faster than 115 km/hour, 80% highway, no strong hills) is 5.1 l/100 km. I once tried to reach the 4.2 value, but this imposes driving never faster than 90 km/h and being a pain for other road users by being generally too slow.
    I have been wondering if the Toyota values are not in fact those reachable in the US, where highway speed is limited to about 90 km/hour (that must be about 55 miles, isn't it ?). But such a blunt error is unlikely for a company like Toyota, isn't it.
    I am wondering if other European users are experiencing the same abusive consumption rates?
    I am seriously looking into suing Toyota for abusive publicity.
    Can someone here give an equivalence or between miles per gallon and liters per 100 km ?
    Happy hybrid driving ,
    Robert Herzog, Belgium

Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't help but wonder with so many great diesel cars available in Europe, why in the world would you buy a hybrid?? I don't live in Europe, but even I know there are plenty of European cars that easily beat the Prius at fuel efficiency. Here in the US we can only dream of the selection of diesels you've got available to you (see tdiclub.com).

(L/100km)*(MPG)=235

235/(5L/100km)=47MPG
    MPG = Miles Per Gallon

There's no doubt that the Prius passes the US EPA mileage ratings. The only issue is that this is kind of a bogus test that really doesn't reflect real-world driving. No cars generally meet the EPA mileage but in most cases, no one cares or notices.
    The Prius does significantly better than any other car in its class although it could do a whole lot better if they would put in a smaller gasoline engine and a larger battery and stronger electric motor.

New EPA mileage ratings from September

As you perhaps already know, new (and more realistic) mileage estimates are about to be introduced by EPA, see http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/index.htm. My guess is that the estimated mileage for the Prius will drop from 54mpg to about 46mpg (5,1 l/100km).