+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

traded the Hybrid.

RKS,

Actually I was told by a large supplier of meters that a Hybrid has more AC than DC and suggested I buy the AC model (only 150) . I returned my Hybrid for an LE I lost about 2750 after all said and done. The LE gives only about 15mG at the fire wall (1m at the back seat). A big improvement from pegging my meter at 100 at both locations on the Hybrid! I'm not happy about the money but feel a lot better about not being exposed to High EMF(instead of sticking my head in the sand and ignoring the problem like some people). I found out another tid bit about Toyota. They shield their hybrids in other countries but not the US!
    As usual the little people are victims of big business and lack of government
    regulations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

clk

I'm new to this site but have been following discussion. We have a prius and may be getting a hybrid camry. I have had an ELF monitor for years and have always been concerned about emfs. I had assumed the hybrids had shields on them - bad assumption- and am now doing a few tests of my own with my monitor in the car (very unscientific but better than nothing)! Have found when driving pressing accelerator emfs high in front and back but as coasting (foot off acc) levels way down in front but still up in back. At stops levels go up and down in front, still high in back. As meter is pulled back towards your chest, levels decrease to less than 6 mG where vital organs are. I am going to consult a friend on west coast who is an expert on electromagnetics and am going to look into the shields for prius batteries made by tachyon. I take this problem very seriously but do love the benefits of the hybrids. My background is biologist/ medical technologist/ cancer researcher. Will try to post a reply when I find out any relavant info.

Clk,

I saw those Tachyon discs, but not sold on it. I found such high levels with my AC Gaussmeter and I couldn't trust something that can't be proven to work. I then considered shielding the car myself. I'm glad I did not attempt this, the cost would have been way too high. I tested a small piece of material, but found I would need 2-3 layers to get my 100+mg levels down to 2mG (my estimate $3000.00+ to shield the car). Please post any information you can find about the relation of EMF and cancer especially with kids. Thanks.

Clk,

I'd much prefer that you use your medical experience to find some ill effects of EMF and try to characterize it.
    If you do, I'll be happy to rally a bunch of electrical engineers to reduce it. EMF shielding is fairly easy but it will add significantly to the cost and weight of the vehicle.
    Right now, you're trying to solve a problem that you don't even know is a problem and trying to kill a solution to a real problem by spreading unsubstantiated alarm.

sorry!

Did not mean to spread any alarm- I'm just unsure about emfs. Talked to Toyota headquarters in CA and they made some notes and said to call my dealership. Then I talked to a very knowledgeable Prius Technician who said yes he was aware of the emfs and said there was no effective way to shield them in the car since the battery cables run down the center from the back and under the drivers seat. He said there were no current studies on short term exposure to emfs you would get from the car- it's not like you are in the car 24 hours a day and the emfs do come off and on. I'll continue to investigate and continue to drive my hybrid.
    Talked to the people who sell those discs- save your money. They lost me at "harmonizing forces that will combat the emfs that disrupt your body" came into the conversation. The rep said even with the discs in place the ELF meter will continue to read high levels but the "tachyon particles will have been brought together to break up those fields". I failed to understand this!

Quote Originally Posted by clk View Post
    The rep said even with the discs in place the ELF meter will continue to read high levels but the "tachyon particles will have been brought together to break up those fields". I failed to understand this!
    Wow! talk about selling "snake oil" to liberate the paranoid from their money! This is total BS.
    I am fully in agreement about being concerned about the effect of anything strange (or not strange) to humans, however, to date, only lawyers and incompetent professors fearing loss of research funding have had anything firm to say about EMF's and neither has been able to produce any evidence of problems other than the thermal issues that were discovered nearly a hundred years ago. The thermal issues only deal with high power EMF's such as are emitted by powerful radio transmitters (and inside microwave ovens). These are well understood and the EMF's inside hybrids and emitted from cellphones are all well within safe limits.
    Please post anything serious that you do find though.

Toyota sheilding differences between countries.

A variety of blogs have talked about EMF sheilding variations by Toyota depending on the country of destination of the vehicle.

Has anyone legitimately confirmed this?

If it's true, this needs to be exposed. What are the specifics of the differences?

Take a look here and read this article.
    This is an organization that specializes in EMF and works with the World Health Organization. They claim that the recommended expossure limit is 100 microtela (uT) for a Magnetic Field. The conversion from uT to MG (milligauss) is 1uT = 10mg as seen here. If you are observing a field value of 100mg and the safe limit is 1000mg (100uT x 10 = 1000mg) then there is nothing to be concerned about.
    If anyone has any more information on this and would like to share please do. I do not own a hybrid but really like the idea and the savings. Those who would dismiss the effects of EMF based on a feeling don't bother writing. I am looking for the truth/fact and not looking for rants from ppl more interested in defending something they have bought.

Thanks

anxiety and speculation

M0nty,
    I do apologize for my rants and appreciate the research you've done. Everything you point to that I've looked at (I haven't read through everything) is consistant with my other observations over the past couple of decades. This is that the only bad stuff regarding EMF's that is clear "is increasing public anxiety and speculation" as exemplified by kff and others on this forum.
    All of the actual research to link non-ionizing EMF's with ill health effects that has been done (and there has been a huge amount of it) has been inconclusive.
    I keep hoping that something conclusive will come out so we can lay this issue to rest (either way) but with all the hysteria surrounding it, I don't think this will ever happen.