+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    kff
    I suggest you write consumer reports. We asked if they could do a comparison between hybrids to see if all hybrids have high emf or if some manufactures are already shielding the vehicle.
    It should be up the consumer if they want to purchase a high emf vehicle or not. Which means it should be disclosed prior to purchase not after reading an owners manual.
    Good luck!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

dtm -While looking through the manual after we bought the car that's when we also read the blurb about EMF. Your right customers should be adequately be warned before the purchase! I'm having a problem being able to PM you can you please E-mail me at k_kff@hotmail.com. I really need you to elaborate on what happened when you called Corporate. We are having dealer problems as well. Yes, I do intend to write Consumer reports among others . If you don't like giving your E-mail address out you can just set up a new one on hotmail or any other site. Thank you!

dtm- we got burnt too after reading the owners manual. I'm having a problem being able to PM you. Can you E-mail me at k_kff@hotmail.com. I really need to talk about corporate, as we are having dealer problems. You can just set up a new e-mail account if you don't want to give out your regular one. Thanks!

this site has bugs sorry for the multiple posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtm_prius View Post
    kff
    I suggest you write consumer reports.
    With regards to EMF, Consumer Reports has taken the approach that they can't show there is anything hazzardous about EMF but they report the fields anyway.
    If you folks are taken aback by my obvious hostility to your unfounded phobia against EMF its because I, as an engineer, spend a lot of effort trying to solve REAL problems in the world. There are other forces that try to exploit people's natural fear of the unknown by creating unfounded hype suggesting that new things have hazards. While all ethical engineers will look for and continuously monitor for any signs of health problems associated with new technologies but often times (as with EMF), there is nothing that can be found.
    Did you know that traveling at high speeds could kill you? This myth circled around when automobiles were new.
    There have been all sorts of studies surrounding the affects of living near high voltage power lines collecting data over many decades and to date, no one has been able to find any signs of statistical evidence of adverse health affects. To interpret this on a lower level: there are just as many people who get diseases that don't live near high voltage power lines as who do.
    Cellphones are the same situation although there are only about 17 years of evidence there.

EMF Levels in Hybrids

There is a test protocol for radiated EMF fields in hybrid vehicles developed by ETA in the U.S. Problem is, no current model hybrids have been tested using the protocol. I believe the U.S. Department of Energy will be revisiting this issue shortly.

You can argue till you're blue in the face about the health effects of EMF. The truth is that when it comes to hybrid vehicles the technology hasn't been around long enough to start seeing defined trends...yet. The current Gen II Prius has only been with us since 2004. The Gen I since 1999.
    Consumers have the right to know what the radiated EMF AC and DC fields are before they purchase the vehicle. The data is as important as MPG.
    The trip to the corner store or a short commute may not pose a problem long term but if you're sitting in a 300 mG radiated field for 8 hours a day...I'd be
    thinking twice.

Quote Originally Posted by RKS View Post
    The truth is that when it comes to hybrid vehicles the technology hasn't been around long enough to start seeing defined trends...yet.
    EMF, however, has been around for hundreds of years with billions of people exposed to varying types of it. This is likely to have shown conclusive trends . . . and it hasn't.
    Again, don't kill a baby just because it MIGHT grow up to be a criminal. It may also save the planet.

Nickel sheathing would easily do the job.

The earth has a natural magnetic field of 500 mG. At surface level it's less than 1 mG. In a hybrid the level is amplified to 300mG (about 150 times more than an ICE equipped vehicle and in the case of the Prius this is right between the driver's legs.) I am a strong supporter of hybrid technology and I'll gladly pay the extra coin to reduce the EMF either in production or aftermarket. Give us a solution automakers. Some will buy, some won't.
    Hey, remember when doctors used to advertise/promote smoking? It took us a while to figure the threat out. The same may be true of concentrated levels of EMF. In the meantime, I'll go for the protection.

EMF Sheilding

RKS
    I agree with you 100%. EMF should be disclosed to the consumer prior to purchase for both AC & DC.
    We loved our Prius but aren't willing to put our kids in it until its shielded properly. We ended up trading it in at the dealership.
    Once there is a manufacture that shields there hybrid vehicle we will be willing to make another hybrid purchase.

DC does not produce EMF. It's explained by Maxwell's equations that use a little calculus. This is probably a bit too complex for this discussion.
    Go ahead and shield your kids from EMF today.
    . . . but what are you doing to shield your kids from:
    - pollution?
    - wars over the oil upon which you rely?
    - a future without cheap, oil based, transportation?
    - terrorists and extremists funded by the oil they own?
    You're free to set your own priorities.

AC and DC EMF

DC fields do produce EMF. Hybrid vehicles are full of AC and DC
    EMF. The AC EMF is created by the AC/DC Inverter in the engine bay.
    The DC EMF emanates from the 14 foot wiring harness connecting
    the 208V battery to the inverter and from the DC electric steering motor near the steering rack. The power harness in a Prius carries +/- 120 amps of current at any moment in time.

You can't use a Gaussmeter designed to read AC EMF to measure DC EMF fields. DC EMF Gaussmeters are available but expensive. The Department of Energy in the U.S. has a complete protocol for testing AC and DC EMF fields in Hybrid vehicles which was developed in 2004 by ETA. (Electric Transportation Associates) of Phoenix, Arizona.