+ Reply to Thread

12v battery dying after two weeks without starting

We are enjoying our new Camry Hybrid but found a quirk regarding the 12v battery.

After returning from a 2-week vacation where we left the Camry in the garage, we found it completely dead to the world in trying to start the car.

I tested the 12v battery with a volt meter and discovered it had completed discharged. We did not leave any lights or other accessories on by mistake.

Once getting the car started by jumping it to another 12v battery, we noticed that the hybrid battery was up where we left it before leaving on the trip.

When I called the Toyota dealership about this phenomenon, the service manager said "oh yes, you need to disconnect the 12v battery if you leave the car for four or more days." Of course it would have been nice to have been told that or atleast having Toyota indicate this in the owners manual before having us experience it.

Have others found this 12v battery behavior as well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Just returned home from a 11 day trip. My 2008 TCH started up just fine. FYI.. it was in a garage and temps ranged from 28 to 50 degrees F. while we were gone

hope it helps

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Erick T View Post
    When I called the Toyota dealership about this phenomenon, the service manager said "oh yes, you need to disconnect the 12v battery if you leave the car for four or more days." Of course it would have been nice to have been told that or atleast having Toyota indicate this in the owners manual before having us experience it.

Have others found this 12v battery behavior as well?

How rude of toyota... They didn't inform you that you have to disconnect those batteries..

Quote Originally Posted by kerpal View Post
    How rude of toyota... They didn't inform you that you have to disconnect those batteries..
    toyota is not to blame here. your salesperson should have told you that.

Imagine how I felt having

Imagine how I felt having just parked my car in the garage at work for 8 hours to return to find it dead now for the second time in 2 years! I blamed the garage guys the first time thinking that they somehow didn't turn it off and never mentioned it to the dealer. Well, tomorrow morning, the dealer will get an earful!

Very dissapointed that a reliable make like Toyota is having these frequent, relatively stupid issues.

mercsinc you must be a sales

mercsinc you must be a sales person your self. What ever the problem is, it's hard to believe that they would not have that written down in the manual.

I met quite a problem also

I met quite a problem also with a Toyota, my engine let go of me quickly. I immediately went to the dealer and explained my problem.